Why become a member? ×

Any twin-neck lovers out there?

Bassnut62

Ok there must be some admirers of twin-neck instruments out there. I'm starting to play a bit of guitar as well as bass. My band is a trio with keys and the keys player has some bass pedals, which could free me to play little bits of guitar ocassionaly.

So what does anyone know about twin-necks?
What are the pitfalls?
Any particular makes and models to GAS hard for or to avoid at all costs?

Just to give a pointer on my tastes, I'm into classic Fender-ish tones and styles.
Thanks for any advice.
And if you know of any going for sale at a good price, please let me know.

[quote name='Bassnut62' post='1114570' date='Feb 3 2011, 09:36 PM']Ok there must be some admirers of twin-neck instruments out there. I'm starting to play a bit of guitar as well as bass. My band is a trio with keys and the keys player has some bass pedals, which could free me to play little bits of guitar ocassionaly.

What are the pitfalls?

Just to give a pointer on my tastes, I'm into classic Fender-ish tones and styles.
Thanks for any advice.
And if you know of any going for sale at a good price, please let me know.[/quote]

I can usually find 'something' positive about most pieces of kit, but I'm really struggling here.
I've fooled around with a couple of them in the past and have always found that they weigh an absolute ton and were good guitars with a lump of rather uninspiring, limited and often pretty mediocre bass added on as an afterthought.
Apart from that they're fine(ish!)... :)

I had a Wal doubleneck (fretted and fretless 4s) that was a great bass, but it was VERY heavy.

Obviously a 4/6 combination should be a bit lighter and balance better, but finding one will be tough! Gibson, Rickenbacker and Shergold used to make 4/6s and 4/12s many moons ago, but they've always been rare and demand top dollar as vintage instruments.

You [i]may[/i] find cheapish instruments on eBay, which may be fine for a first dabble to make sure it's the way you want to go.

Then of course there's the silly money you could spend on the custom route...

Good luck!

Gareth

[quote name='Bassnut62' post='1114570' date='Feb 3 2011, 09:36 PM']Ok there must be some admirers of twin-neck instruments out there. I'm starting to play a bit of guitar as well as bass. My band is a trio with keys and the keys player has some bass pedals, which could free me to play little bits of guitar ocassionaly.

What are the pitfalls?

Thanks for any advice.
And if you know of any going for sale at a good price, please let me know.[/quote]

I love Twin Necks!! I guess it's a Marmite thing!

What are you after - 4 & 6, 4 & 8, 4 & 4 (one fretless) or 6 & 12?

The only one I don't have it a 4 & 4 - if I'm honest, my fretless playing is OK
but not worth me trying to show I can do both and not really pulling it off.

Let me know what you're after.

DomInSomerset made a cracking Twin, using my Peavy Zodiac as a template - turned
out really well. That was a 4 & 4 - might be worth having a chat with him.
They are a bit heavy, but you don't play them all night!! :)

Cheers. :)

EDIT. Muppett!! You said 4 & 6 in the post!!
Must try harder Eric!!!
Sorreeee!!

Something like this. . . . [attachment=71111:RicF.jpg]

My advice would be if you are a better bass player than a guitarist, see
if you can find a rare 6 at the top - 4 at the bottom - easier to get on with!

Edited by FlatEric

[quote name='FlatEric' post='1114904' date='Feb 4 2011, 08:24 AM']I love Twin Necks!! I guess it's a Marmite thing!

What are you after - 4 & 6, 4 & 8, 4 & 4 (one fretless) or 6 & 12?

The only one I don't have it a 4 & 4 - if I'm honest, my fretless playing is OK
but not worth me trying to show I can do both and not really pulling it off.

Let me know what you're after.

DomInSomerset made a cracking Twin, using my Peavy Zodiac as a template - turned
out really well. That was a 4 & 4 - might be worth having a chat with him.
They are a bit heavy, but you don't play them all night!! :)

Cheers. :)

EDIT. Muppett!! You said 4 & 6 in the post!!

Yup defo better bass than guitar. Good advice that about the 6 on top and that twin ric job is freaking A!

I was kinda hoping that so few people would be into this idea that you could pick something cool and good for a few hundred squid; as having a custom job is clean outbid my price range for this flight of gloriously unnecessary fancy.

So do you reckon it's reasonably possible to pick up something good for not much?
I would happily wait 6 months for right opportunity; but would like to know if I am being completely unrealistic
Thanks
Must try harder Eric!!!
Sorreeee!!

Something like this. . . . [attachment=71111:RicF.jpg]

My advice would be if you are a better bass player than a guitarist, see
if you can find a rare 6 at the top - 4 at the bottom - easier to get on with![/quote]

[quote name='SignsOfDelirium_bassist' post='1115163' date='Feb 4 2011, 12:44 PM']I can't play guitar for toffee, but I've always wanted a 4&12 doubleneck...Both guitarists in my band are pretty good at the fiddly piddly crap, so I figure I could just play some lovely sounding chords on a 12string to back them up while they go nuts :)[/quote]

I like your style there bro - hang back, don't do much and still be the coolest muttha in the band.
Anyone that doesn't think a twin-neck is cool, can't be a true rebel at heart in my book

I've only played a small handful & my experiences are not like icastle's in terms of weight. The more vintage ones were heavier but generally I have been surprised by how light they are. I think there are issues around amplification & ultimately it's either one or the other regarding a bass / guitar necked one. As a Fender fan myself they seem to be closer to the Gibson's in terms of vibe. All that said, I am a fan. They are very cool :)

I'd never thought of the amp issue before, but I guess I'd either want 2 amps (A man can dream!) or perhaps something like the Markbass LMK, something I've been drooling over for a while now, with 2 channels. If I had the knowhow I'd build myself one, one with a stereo jack so I can just build myself a little stomp box to switch between the guitar and bass with a pedal...Hmm, I'm starting to like this idea more and more now :)