Why become a member? ×

1966 Jazz Bass parts

franzbassist

Hi all

Really not sure I want to do this, but financial needs must....

[b]1966 Jazz Bass[/b]
This bass was assembled by Bravewood Guitars and consists of [i]all original parts apart from the body, neck pickup and scratchplate[/i]. It's a great bass, really resonant, lightweight and punchy, but I am just not really a passive guy. [b]I'm looking to get £2k[/b] for this, which may seem like a lot for a non-original bass, but given that a Fender Custom Shop '66 made from all new parts costs more than this, I'd say it's well priced.

You can see John's build [url="http://www.bravewoodguitars.co.uk/66Jazzproject.html"]here[/url]. Obviously the bass has moved on a bit in terms of original parts (tuners, bridge pickup, thumbrest, neck pickup cover) since these pictures were taken, but you get the idea.

No trades thanks.

Cheers

Gareth

Edited by walbassist

I'm really confused about the Jazz. What bits of it are actually 1966 Fender jazz bass parts and what bits are replacement (Fender or otherwise)? Maybe I'm being a muppet, but I've read and re-read your post 4 or 5 times now and I'm none the wiser.

To me that means its a Bravewood body, scratchplate and neck pickup with original 1966 parts:
Neck
Bridge Pickup
Tuners
Bridge
Neck plate
Control plate and pots
Thumbrest
Pickup cover

Correct me if I'm wrong :)

You can kinda see that its a Bravewood body, I've never seen a vintage fender that has 'aged' like that
Still a nice looking bass though. Good luck

Si

Edited by Sibob

[quote name='Sibob' post='128346' date='Jan 26 2008, 06:00 PM']You can kinda see that its a Bravewood body, I've never seen a vintage fender that has 'aged' like that

Si[/quote]

My vintage Fender has aged like that. It was toured all over the states during the 60s. Man, it's beaten to death!

What I'm trying to say is that Bravewood are the best in the business for 'real' relic finishes, and this bass looks pretty darn good to me. If I was to buy it, I'd have to know that the parts were worth at least as much as the asking price.

Neck must be worth £600 - £700
66 bridge £150 - £200
Scratchplate £200
Tuners £200

etc. etc.

I'd expect to pay around £2000 - £2500 retail for a 66' refinned jazz, so this seems ok.

Edited by Jebo1

[quote name='Sibob' post='128346' date='Jan 26 2008, 06:00 PM']You can kinda see that its a Bravewood body, I've never seen a vintage fender that has 'aged' like that

Si[/quote]

Looks like my (for real trashed) '66 Jazz as well.

[quote name='Jebo1' post='134318' date='Feb 5 2008, 01:55 PM']Hi mate, sad as it might seem, you might be better off selling the jazz as separate pieces. It's worth a fortune in bits. I'm just putting it out there... Cheers, L[/quote]

I know, but it's such a great playing bass that seems a real shame...

If it was me - and I'm being candid here - I'd maybe not jump at a parts bass that I hadn't put together myself. That's not to say that nobody would be, but for something like this, people are often very picky. A refinned pre CBS jazz is going to set you back (if you can find one) about £2300 - £2800 so you're in that ballpark.

It looks like a great bass, and even if it's just a visual first impression, i tlooks like it would knock spots off a custom shop reissue. The neck itself looks beautiful, 66' is one of the best years for Fenders as collectible legend goes...

If I win Lotto Euromillions I will buy this bass off you and love it. I will also then amass the worlds greatest collection of vintage Fender Jazz Basses, but that's another story! This is a promise and I will swear by it!

[quote name='Jebo1' post='134340' date='Feb 5 2008, 02:18 PM']If it was me - and I'm being candid here - I'd maybe not jump at a parts bass that I hadn't put together myself. That's not to say that nobody would be, but for something like this, people are often very picky. A refinned pre CBS jazz is going to set you back (if you can find one) about £2300 - £2800 so you're in that ballpark.

It looks like a great bass, and even if it's just a visual first impression, i tlooks like it would knock spots off a custom shop reissue. The neck itself looks beautiful, 66' is one of the best years for Fenders as collectible legend goes...

If I win Lotto Euromillions I will buy this bass off you and love it. I will also then amass the worlds greatest collection of vintage Fender Jazz Basses, but that's another story! This is a promise and I will swear by it![/quote]

I agree with pretty much all of this. Bravewood, while they are great basses, are not that well known in the UK let alone overseas, so I can understand buyer apprehension.

It really is a great bass, as you say the neck is to die for, and I'm aware that 66 is considered a great year.

Thanks for your comments. Helpful and constructive.

Cheers

Gareth