Why become a member? ×

Jaguar bass

Jacqueslemac

I've been thinking about a Jaguar bass for my surf band. Yes, I know both the Jazz and Precision were around in the early 1960s (and the Jaguar bass wasn't), but what the heck.

It seems the choice is:
Fender Jaguar for around £400 (if/when one comes up secondhand)
Squier Vintage Modified Jaguar for around £280 (passive) only in black but with the block markers
Squier Vintage Modified Jaguar Special for around £200 (active) in red, black, sunburst and white, but with dot markers

Have you played any/all of them? Would you care to compare them, please? I've tried the Squier VM passive one, but not the other two.

Thanks

Well. I have a Fender Jaguar - that rather stunning all black one to the left. I haven't played the new Squier versions, but have owned a Squier VM Jazz and played a Squier CV Precision - both heralded as being as good as it gets for Squier. I'd say neither of those Squiers can touch the Fender Jag on build quality. It has something solid and smooth about it that just feels totally right. The neck is an absolute dream. It isn't faultless - I guess no bass is - but it is extremely nice.

But.

I actually suspect I might have chosen the Squier Jag over the Fender Jag if they had been available when I was looking. For me the shape was one of the major aspects of it and went a long way towards persuading me to buy it over a USA Jazz, the main competition. At the time the active/passive and series/parallel business was also appealing - I play in covers bands so being able to change my tone seemed, in theory, to be a good idea. In practice I don't fiddle about with it much and sometimes I feel that there is perhaps just a little bit too much going on with the electrics. The simplicity of the Squier I now find quite appealing. Plus I don't think the on-board electrics on the Fender are of a particularly good quality - certainly the roll on/off controls are a bit hit or miss - and can't help feeling that they detract from what is otherwise a great bass.

I suppose it depends upon whether you want to have that extra build quality and the ability to change the sound almost infinitely with all the bells and whistles - in which case go for the Fender. But be aware that some of your hard earned cash goes towards a not quite up to it (IMO) pre-amp and control system. Or, if you just want a Jag style bass that is perfectly good enough to gig with, I reckon the Squier would be just fine.

I find the Fender Jaguar to be thready - weak and generally just another Jazz bass with less output, too many switches and lots of confusion.

Some like them - I don't really.

I own a Squier VM-Jaguar, and it's a P/J configuration, and as such it fits so well in almost any venue and playing style that I'm now very much in love with a Reggie Hamilton - but it's not in the stores here in the US except as the Skunk Works version for mucho money.

The VM-Jag is light - 8lbs, 1/2" longer than any of my other Fenders, but feels smaller.

No head dive at all.

The Jazz neck is fast and sweet - and the finish is so deep you can sink a finger into it to the first knuckle.

[i][size=3]The p'ups are very hot! [/size][color="#FFA500"][size=4]Believe me they[/size][/color] [color="#FF8C00"][size=5]are wickedly[/size][/color] [color="#FF0000"][size=6]hot![/size][/color] [/i]

All in all - the VM jag will do things the Fender Jag may not be suited to do. Clarity, power, tone and a smoking voice all add up to a great bass for yards (meters) less than the Fender Jag-version.

That's how I feel anyway.

[quote name='Johnston' post='1116398' date='Feb 5 2011, 12:02 PM']No offence but that is brand snobbery at it's best.[/quote]

AND? No offence taken buddy, however I love having my Fender and my Ric. Brand snobbery or not, I know in the finish and the sound where those extra few bucks have went.

Im not going to start a fight over this or a debate. But this is my views!

Lets leave it at that!

[quote name='Johnston' post='1116398' date='Feb 5 2011, 12:02 PM']No offence but that is brand snobbery at it's best.[/quote]

But it isn't a 'real' jag, since the pickup config is totally different. I love the sound of the 70s jazz pup spacing. If it sounds weak it's probably the pickups, the more modern Jap pickups aren't that great IMO, I'd want to drop new ones in.

Some useful comments here, thanks.

I have the money ready for a nice red Fender Jaguar, but where's one I can buy?

I trawled three of Norwich's guitar shops today and none of them have the VM Jag or the VM Jag Special for me to look at. Two of them are happy to order them in, but I have to pay a deposit first. In other words I have to buy before I try! (Mind you, both were cheaper than I could find on the 'net, which is nice, as I'd rather support my local dealers.)

On reflection, I reckon my Corvette $$ gives me the full range of sounds (or even the Variax, come to that) for recoding.

I do confess to being a bit of a brand snob, but my experience has taught me that I'm not likely to use all the options (once I've spent a while fiddling to find the tone I like), so paying £200 for the Fender sticker and lots of sounds I won't use, is probably not money well spent.

So, it's primarily down to looks. And in that case, there's no contest. The VM Jaguar in black with block markers and a matching black headstock wins hands down for me.

Unless anyone knows if Squier is about to launch a red version?

[quote name='Jacqueslemac' post='1116657' date='Feb 5 2011, 08:09 AM']Some useful comments here, thanks.

I have the money ready for a nice red Fender Jaguar, but where's one I can buy?

I trawled three of Norwich's guitar shops today and none of them have the VM Jag or the VM Jag Special for me to look at. Two of them are happy to order them in, but I have to pay a deposit first. In other words I have to buy before I try! (Mind you, both were cheaper than I could find on the 'net, which is nice, as I'd rather support my local dealers.)

On reflection, I reckon my Corvette $$ gives me the full range of sounds (or even the Variax, come to that) for recoding.

I do confess to being a bit of a brand snob, but my experience has taught me that I'm not likely to use all the options (once I've spent a while fiddling to find the tone I like), so paying £200 for the Fender sticker and lots of sounds I won't use, is probably not money well spent.

So, it's primarily down to looks. And in that case, there's no contest. The VM Jaguar in black with block markers and a matching black headstock wins hands down for me.

Unless anyone knows if Squier is about to launch a red version?[/quote]

There are some amazing VM-Jaguars in the works. The colors will slay you. With humbuckers and Active and a lot cheaper than the VMs to date

Edited by Circle_of_Fifths

[quote name='Circle_of_Fifths' post='1117338' date='Feb 6 2011, 06:02 AM']There are some amazing VM-Jaguars in the works. The colors will slay you. With humbuckers and Active and a lot cheaper than the VMs to date[/quote]

Red with block markers and matching red headstock? If so, I'll hang on!

[quote name='Jacqueslemac' post='1117913' date='Feb 6 2011, 05:41 PM']Red with block markers and matching red headstock? If so, I'll hang on![/quote]

Unfortunately not - pretty much everything but...

[url="http://www.squierguitars.com/products/search.php?section=basses&cat=jaguarbass"]http://www.squierguitars.com/products/sear...;cat=jaguarbass[/url]

Cheers,

B.

[u][i][b]IMO[/b][/i][/u] do not go for the squier jags. not saying theres anything wrong with them BUT if you want a Jag, go for the real deal.

there might be a £600 difference between fenders and squiers and possably £600 you havent got but you'll appreciate the real thing at the end of the day.
like McCoys, accept no imitations! :)

[quote name='bigsmokebass' post='1119939' date='Feb 8 2011, 11:44 AM'][u][i][b]IMO[/b][/i][/u] do not go for the squier jags. not saying theres anything wrong with them BUT if you want a Jag, go for the real deal.[/quote]

From where? They're not imported any more and I can't find one for sale!

Unless one suddenly pops up, it'll be the Squier for me.

Edited by Jacqueslemac

I have a Squire VM Jaguar (Blk, blk, tort, block) and LOVE it! Looks aside (which are sharp!) it plays and sounds like a dream. Nice being able to easily choose between j pickup, p pickup, or any blend between the two. I put a set of chrome flats on it and finally found the tone I was looking for. Neck is smooth and very playable. I have an Ibenez SR505, a Squire P bass, and a Fender Mustang Bass as well. My fav has definately become the Jag. I compared it in the shop to the Fender Jag, and I just could not justify spending the extra $ because it said "Fender" on it. I actually liked the feel and tone of the Squire better - so I bought it and I've never regretted it. YEMVH - but most everyone I've talked to or who have posted on here or talkbass have been very happy with their VM Jaguar. Good luck on your choice!

Cheers!

FWIW, I think that a lot of the appeal of the Jaguar bass is the tonal palette of the electronics. If its just the look your after I've no doubt the quality of the Squiers will be ample for most needs but if its the Jaguar tone your after then it's gotta be the Jap Fender for me.