Why become a member? ×

70's Eko Indy Bass

Ghost_Bass

Hi, i've recently re-discovered one of this guys hidding in my attic for almost eleven years. It was a battered beyond recognition bass i've got from a friend and at that time i didn't even bother to find out more about it and started a restoration. He's all stripped out with some putty aplied on the body to correct the imperfections. It didn't come with pickguard, one tuner, one knob, the two pickup covers (?!! is that the correct english name?) and the bridge cover.
He's the same model as the one on this link, on the right - the brown one:
[url="http://www.fetishguitars.com/html/eko/seventies/indybass.html"]http://www.fetishguitars.com/html/eko/seve...s/indybass.html[/url]

I'm asking for your opinions to see if it's worth spending a lot of money in the restoration. What is the price for one of these nowadays? Is it worth pending money trying to track down the original parts (almost an impossible task) and maybe even have the original hardware re-chromed or do i just stick some parts from a Epiphone EB-0 and sell it dirty cheap?

I don't know anything about these bases, in fact i only found it's model name today! :)

It's a very dificult task to bring it up to the original condition, apart from the missing parts it had arived with some cracked bits of wood. Back then (when i was young and fool) i fixed it with some wood glue and screws and lots of putty... so a translucent finish is out of the table :) I'm thinking in painting it black or SG-style red. I had covered the pickup and switch holes with veneer and... can you guess???... more putty!... so the pickguard isn't necessary anymore but it still need the pickup coverrr...thingies!

Don´t have pics at the moment but as soon as i bring it downstairs i'll take some for you to see the disaster...

You may start the hostilities!

cheers

edit: spelling. I forgot to mention it has the original electronics and pickups! Worth getting a used EB and pimp it up?

Edited by Ghost_Bass

[quote name='RickIronWitch' post='1113927' date='Feb 3 2011, 02:41 PM']how cheap is dirt cheap? the red one in good condition went for £88 the other week. if dirt cheap is cheap enough for my empty wallet i'd take it of you.[/quote]

With P&P to UK it would be a little more than that :)

I was thinking in dirty cheap as around 125€ (£100ish) for the finished project considering i'll have to buy some parts and materials but the final price will be made in the end taking everything into acount and this is presuming i'll be willing to part with it after all the work i have ahead!

cheers

[quote name='RickIronWitch' post='1114492' date='Feb 3 2011, 08:50 PM']Ah i was thinking of a price as it is, and doing it up myself.[/quote]

Oh sorry, i didn't understood! Let me take some pics so you can see if it's worth for you and maybe the rest of the BC'ers could help me with the pricing although i guess it would be really low... probably P&P would be more expensive than the bass itself? :)

Wait until the weekend so i can have time to take it out of the attic and give it a good clean.

Cheers

[quote name='Ghost_Bass' post='1114753' date='Feb 4 2011, 12:08 AM']Oh sorry, i didn't understood! Let me take some pics so you can see if it's worth for you and maybe the rest of the BC'ers could help me with the pricing although i guess it would be really low... probably P&P would be more expensive than the bass itself? :)

Wait until the weekend so i can have time to take it out of the attic and give it a good clean.

Cheers[/quote]

Cheers mate.