Why become a member? ×

Fender Precision Bass Re-build

StevieD_FenderP2009

Yeah I was thinking about keeping it as the base colour but decided against that and went with this...

So far only the front has been masked up because we've ran out of lining tape (the blue tape under the white masking tape) due to having to start again after getting half way through doing the front and messing up. So far it's taken 5 bloody hours! it's a seriously long process and definitely not an easy one.

Anyways, here it is. Going to be finishing the rest of it over this week then sending it off for the final paint and lacquering process. My new band have just booked our first gig so I'm going to try and have it built by then. Not going to rush it though, I've still got my orange P bass and my Epiphone if I get desperate for a bass. Not going to use the Steve Harris signature or Tobias for a long time yet.

And so it starts...

Front finished, now onto the sides and back...

Front again

Cheers gust0o! It's a bloody painstaking process =/ I'm never doing it again

And haha yeah, Ironically, the first person I thought of was Wayne but apparently he's been following it anyways so there we go :)

Can't wait for it to be finished. Thanks to wayne i've just got a new neck for it as well. It's not an original Fender one but it'll do the job for now atleast :)

They're the same size as the ones on his :) I got a load of pictures of his Somewhere In Time bass (which he had re-made in 2006 on a different P Bass) and scale measured it out. Turns out the squares on mine are the same size as the squares on his one which is 1 and 3/16's of a inch squared :lol:

I'm a qeek, I know. But I've always wanted a checkerboard bass for some reason, even when I thought Steve's bass had only ever been the West Ham colours it is now. But i wanted it different to the black and white one... Then I saw Steve's one and decided I wanted it like that. 3 years later I have it being done :)

This is the main picture I used to get the pattern from:

I've marked it A - B across and C - D down the bass

A - B is 19 squares (20 if you count the tiny part of a square on the edge)

C - D is 12 squares (again, 1 more if you count the tiny square on the edge)

And here's my bass. Again, i've done the same thing

A - B is 19 squares

C - D is 12 squares

It's close enough anyways, it's exactly what I wanted it to be like :)

[quote name='StevieD_FenderP2009' post='1127161' date='Feb 14 2011, 03:27 PM']They're the same size as the ones on his :) I got a load of pictures of his Somewhere In Time bass (which he had re-made in 2006 on a different P Bass) and scale measured it out. Turns out the squares on mine are the same size as the squares on his one which is 1 and 3/16's of a inch squared :)[/quote]

I could have sworn they were bigger, but then I am working off my memory of seeing them on the tour back then

To be honest man, they probably were back then, I'm mainly working off the pictures from the Japan show to support the AMOLAD album in 06 which is where I got that picture from. I could only find like, 2 from back then and one of them was him in a rather attractive set of hot pants under a tree holding the branch which his bass round his neck. Didn't fancy staring at that for hours which gaffering the bass... haha!

[quote name='StevieD_FenderP2009' post='1127184' date='Feb 14 2011, 03:45 PM']To be honest man, they probably were back then, I'm mainly working off the pictures from the Japan show to support the AMOLAD album in 06 which is where I got that picture from. I could only find like, 2 from back then and one of them was him in a rather attractive set of hot pants under a tree holding the branch which his bass round his neck. Didn't fancy staring at that for hours which gaffering the bass... haha![/quote]

Now I have a really bad mental image... thanks.

The bass is looking great though, I once tried to do a checker board on the underside of a skateboard back in the 80s. I gave up after 2 hours, 3 attempts and 4 rolls of insulation tape...

Edited by bartelby

Yeah, it gave me nightmares. I love the guys bass playing, but him in shorts? Nah thanks... I'll have his daughter in shorts though ANYDAY. She's a real nice lass, I met her (and him) when my mates band supported her on the 6th June 2006 (Oh yeah! 6/6/06) at Bedford Esquires.

I'm not suprised you gave up, if it wasn't for the 3 years of checkerboard GAS then I wouldn't be doing it haha.

Nice work man ! its gonna look sweet when its finished !

(you probably have it covered but i was on evilbay the other day window shopping an saw some 80s style Fender precision logos on there, think it was about £6 take a look, think Ive got the link saved ?? let me no if you need it.)

OK was just taking a look for the link an found this, i no you have a neck sorted but thought id forward it anyway (or bring it to any BC readers attention)
[url="http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Fender-Precision-Bass-Neck-/270706287270?pt=UK_Musical_Instruments_Guitars_CV&hash=item3f075a22a6"]http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Fender-Precision-Bas...=item3f075a22a6[/url]

Cant find the original link i found but here another one, (don't know how they make it £30 for the postage, its coming from America not Mars lol)
[url="http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/USA-FENDER-PRECISION-BASS-HEADSTOCK-LOGO-HARD-FIND-/230585300842?pt=Guitar_Accessories&hash=item35aff4776a"]http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/USA-FENDER-PRECISION...=item35aff4776a[/url]

There is another on on there, says its a genuine 70s one but thats like £90!!!!!

Edited by danny-79

Hey Danny

Cheers for the support there bro, if you could send me the link for the logos then that would be great as I will need one to go on the new neck I'm getting.

Hopefully going to have this bass completely built in the next couple of weeks. Only thing I don't have right now to go on it is the Leo Quan bridge but I sold one to a "mate" a while back for £60 and only got £30 of the money. So after constant pestering I said I wanted my bridge back and i'll send him the cash back. Hopefully the tosser doesn't f*** me over when I send the money to him. I've got his address and I know where his band play so if he does, i'll have him :)

Only bass I won't have a Badass II on then is my Orange P Bass which I will end up buying one for later on this year. Badass II's, SD SPB-1s and mirrored pick guards... OH YEAH!

[quote name='bartelby' post='1127446' date='Feb 14 2011, 06:56 PM']It was my memory!

Here's the bass from the tour (being played by Dave Murray, with 'Arry on vocals)
[attachment=72224:Screen_s...18.51.46.png]

[/quote]

I've seen that video before and it cracks me up every time I watch it. I'm suprised 'Arry lets anyone touch his bass, it's like, his 8th child! Shows you that maiden hate playback though!

Can't wait to get it finished!!!

Cant find the link for the one i found in the UK, cant find the advert on ebay either so I'm guessing its either sold of been removed.
Heres another link though, think its the same as the one i posted before but here it is again anyway [url="http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/USA-FENDER-PRECISION-BASS-HEADSTOCK-LOGO-HARD-FIND-/230585300842?pt=Guitar_Accessories&hash=item35aff4776a"]http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/USA-FENDER-PRECISION...=item35aff4776a[/url]
The postage is pretty steep though but might be worth contacting them an seeing whats what etc .

An i no for sure that if you look on here under the parts for sale thread Grand Wazoo is selling off a few bits an pieces at the min an one of the items hes selling is a Bad Ass III think it is (might be a II ?) could be worth checking that out as well.

[quote name='StevieD_FenderP2009' post='1127890' date='Feb 15 2011, 03:16 AM']I've seen that video before and it cracks me up every time I watch it. I'm suprised 'Arry lets anyone touch his bass, it's like, his 8th child! Shows you that maiden hate playback though!

Can't wait to get it finished!!![/quote]

IIRC they did it because they'd heard The Beastie Boys, who were on after them, were going to smash up all their (the Beastie Boys' no Maiden's) equipment. So to make them look a bit foolish Maiden kept swapping gear.

[quote name='StevieD_FenderP2009' post='1127177' date='Feb 14 2011, 03:39 PM']This is the main picture I used to get the pattern from:

I've marked it A - B across and C - D down the bass

A - B is 19 squares (20 if you count the tiny part of a square on the edge)

C - D is 12 squares (again, 1 more if you count the tiny square on the edge)

And here's my bass. Again, i've done the same thing

A - B is 19 squares

C - D is 12 squares

It's close enough anyways, it's exactly what I wanted it to be like :)[/quote]

Found this, and I thought you might be interested.
[attachment=72243:HL00690867.jpg]

[quote name='bartelby' post='1127898' date='Feb 15 2011, 06:41 AM']IIRC they did it because they'd heard The Beastie Boys, who were on after them, were going to smash up all their (the Beastie Boys' no Maiden's) equipment. So to make them look a bit foolish Maiden kept swapping gear.[/quote]

Well I never knew that, it's true that you learn something new every day. Good ol' Maiden, I love that band :)

[quote name='danny-79' post='1127892' date='Feb 15 2011, 03:34 AM']Link for bridge

[url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=122853"]http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=122853[/url][/quote]

Hey cheers for the link, unfortunately by the time I looked at it it was sold but BUT fingers crossed this arsehole is going to ship my bridge back to me soon so I should have a Badass II to go on it. Think it may need new saddles though, I'll have to check when I get it back.

[quote name='Pauld' post='1127998' date='Feb 15 2011, 09:16 AM']Found this, and I thought you might be interested.
[attachment=72243:HL00690867.jpg][/quote]

Thanks very much dude, I've saved that in the "research" folder haha :)