Why become a member? ×

Fender Precision Bass Re-build

StevieD_FenderP2009

[quote name='bassman2790' post='1130397' date='Feb 16 2011, 10:50 PM']Does the checked pattern continue onto the back or is it on the front face alone? (I was thinking of doing this to my BB300)[/quote]

Hi dude, the pattern is going to be all over the bass when it's finished, that was just Day 1 of masking. Only did an hours work on the back so far which can be seen in the pictures below.
Once the back is done, the sides of the bass shall be done as well. good luck with yours if you do it. Believe me, it's a pain staking process

So yeah, here's the back of the bass. Once the lining tape has been fully applied I'll put the squares of masking tape over the smaller squares to fill them in so that it's ready for the side to be done (and so it'll look like the front)

More to come in a few days time

SD

Not much in the way of an update here as I've been quite ill over the weekend and stupidly, I went to see Leeds vs Norwich at Elland Road which did not help my flu or tonsilitus. Fantastic match though even if it did end up 2-2 (even though we should of won it with Billy Paynter's last minute shot or one of the many shots we had that hit the bar but that's life eh?) and when I got home, I had a note through the door saying a parcel had been left for me at one of my neighbours so I went and collected it. It was quite a long parcel which could only mean one thing...

NEW NECK! :)

Thanks to Wayne I now have the neck for my bass. The logo will be coming off it and will be getting replaced with the correct period logo as well as my signature on the back of the headstock (vein I know but considering i'll never sell it, it's cool to have my own touches on it). It's also really cool as it's a jazz profile neck which seems to suit me more than the chunkier neck on my Steve Harris signature. But don't get me wrong, I still like the chunkier necks too. More to grab on to :) haha! (just like my ex girlfriend)

Right, pictures...

Picture 1: Front of headstock. Bushings and string tree will be replaced by the original ones that came with the actual bass. If anybody could help me find out the correct '87 period American logo was for the precision bass and help me source one, I'd be so grateful

Picture 2: Bottom end of fretboard. Really beautiful grain of rosewood on this one just like on the original neck so I'm really pleased

Picture 3: Back of headstock. All the screw holes will be filled in and sanded back for the new machine head screw holes to be drilled in as some over-lap with the current ones

Picture 4: Bottom end of neck. As you can see, the mahogany "skunk stripe" goes all the way down to where the anchor plug of the truss rod is which is exactly what I wanted. The 4 neck holes already there will be filled in and new ones will be drilled in when I line it up to the body

Picture 5: Picture I forgot to upload of the back of the bass. It's now got the back fully masked up but I haven't got a picture of it yet. I'll get some tomorrow night when I do the sides of the bass

Stevie

Another update for you all. I've had a very stressful evening, the guy who is helping me do the work on the guitar seems to think he knows how to do it better than how I suggested... He doesn't at all. The work that has been started on the sides of the bass will now have to be completely taken off as he's royally f***ed it up. He didn't listen to how I wanted it so on the top right corner, it's ended up completely messed up. You might be able to see it (just about) in the 2nd pic I'll be putting on this update. As I said though, I'll be peeling off the edge work and re-doing it myself how I want it done.
Anyways, here's the pictures...

Picture 1: Back of the bass now completely finished and looking rather superb

Picture 2: Top edge of the bass... As you might be able to spot on the right side of the picture where it starts to curve down to the back end of the bass is where he's completely f***ed it up. 2 masked squares next to each other will not look right. It'll look a bloody mess and I really won't be happy with it. Especially as I've paid alot of money upfront for it to be done.

Still looking for someone to help me find the correct logo that would of gone on an 87 USA Fender Precision Bass. If anyone knows, please help me out!

Cheers
Stevie

Right, so after slating the guy who has been helping me with it in my last post, I said that I would be completing it on my own.
I took off the squares from that top arm rest corner and re-laid them properly. Well, I say properly... closer to properly than what he did anyways.
As I type this, i'm being seriously nostalgic and watching Thunderbirds (it's 4am and SyFy is an awesome channel!). Oh my god Thunderbird 2 is the dogs cahoonies!

Anyways, here's a picture for you :)
Hopefully more to come at the end of the day, I've only got the inside of the 2 cut aways to do now... Not looking forward to that bit.

Not too bad... It'll do for now

YAY! All the masking is done! What a god awful process that was. I absolutely hated masking it. Anyways, it's not 100% perfect but it'll do. Reason it's not 100% perfect is because it was seriously tricky to get the tape to stay stuck down exactly how I wanted it to which is why I'm now seriously worried about there being paint runs and bleed underneath some of the tape but hopefully the guy who is painting it is skilled enough to know what to do with it.
So, here's some pics of the bass with the masking fully done. I think it looks really cool so far and I can't wait to see it fully un-masked after the painting's been done.

Picture 1: Front shot 1

Picture 2: Front shot 2

Picture 3: Front shot 3

Picture 4: Front shot 4

Picture 5: Front shot 5

Picture 6: Back shot 1

Picture 7: Back shot 2

Picture 8: Back shot 3

Picture 9: Back shot 4

Picture 10: With the pickguard and neck rested on it. It really is going to look fantastic! (ignore the roof light reflection in the pickguard)

I really am so excited about this. Hopefully I'll be getting the Badass II bridge back soon but if it's finished before the bridge comes back, I'll end up sticking a normal Fender BBOT bridge on it. Atleast that way I can get the bridge cover mounted as well as the plan is to put a normal bridge on then put a bridge cover over it, take that off as well as the bridge then put a Badass II on there and 2 screws in the holes from the bridge cover. I know it sounds silly, but for some reason I really like the look of the 2 screws besides the bridge to show that there was a cover on there before.

Whaddya think of it then?

Stevie

OH OH OH OH OH... This is a P.S. of the last post:

The masking was finished on Monday morning and was sent off to the painter Tuesday morning. On Tuesday evening, it was back with the white painted on :)
Please forgive the quality of the photo, it was taken on my mum's god awful new Blackberry slide phone. Yuk! Even the other photos are better than this and they've been taken on my iPhone 3GS! Anyways, my mum's boyfriend (seen in the picture) has started taking off some of the masking tape already for me (as I've been out all evening) as you can see from the solitary one black square in the middle of the body.

Picture 1: Back in... white? haha

Hopefully I'll have some more pics for you guys tomorrow evening when I get on to getting the masking tape off.
Final steps will be:
* removing the masking tape then sending it off to be lacquered and buffed up
* sanding down the neck and applying the new logo (when I get it or make it)
* drilling new holes in headstock for the machine heads
* drilling new holes in the base of the neck for the body to screw into (I prefer filling the old holes and making new ones in the neck base)
* lining up pickguard and drilling new holes for it
* installing new pots, pick ups and capacitor to the pickguard then fitting it to the bass
* installing the bridge (whichever one it may be)
* stringing, setting up, intonating and testing
* showing it off on here :) haha

Stevie

Edited by StevieD_FenderP2009

Thanks man! Another person who likes it, I'm gaining a little fan club :) haha

Right, update for y'all! I started un-masking it today... and then got a little carried away so I have sat here (I started at 9pm) until I finished it at 3:30am. As I predicted, quite a lot of bleeding has occurred under the edges of the tape but I'm trying to keep positive over it in the fact I can sort out the bleed. I'm going to get a very thin tipped paint brush, some black paint and a thin scraper. I'll first off scrape the bleed away and straighten up the edge where it leaked through then go over and chips with the black paint. Unfortunately there are a few chips out of the black undercoat where I've had to put the knife blade under the tape but as I said, I'm trying to remain positive. I held the bass body at arms length and looked over it. I can tell it's going to be awesome when it's finished. Still a long way to go though. After the bleed and chips (sounds like a dodgy meal aye?) are sorted out, it's gotta have the paint flattened then it will be lacquered. At the same time, i'll send the neck off to be lacquered with it.

So then, here's a couple of pictures to keep you up to date:

Picture 1: AND IT'S GO! GO! GO!

Picture 2: Front completely un-masked. You may be able to see the bleed on the front a bit

Picture 3: Angled shot to give you a different view

Picture 4: Wahay! It's completely un-masked and I've sat the neck with it to show you what it looks like with the neck. In case anyone is wondering, it's not a pure white I've chosen for it, it's a blend of pure white and cream put together to give it a bit of a naturally aged look. I don't particularly like pure white (unless I was doing the old white body, black pickguard, rosewood fretboard job, which ironically is my next P-Bass project)

I'll get some pictures of the back up tomorrow whilst my lovely ex-girlfriend's father is round to re-fit my bathroom. To say this is going to be awkward is a massive understatement! Gah!

Hope you guys (and gals) like it :)

Stevie (Harris)

[quote name='danny-79' post='1155883' date='Mar 9 2011, 09:32 PM']Its gone quiet in here .... <inset tumble weed> whats the progress ? hope all is well ![/quote]
He realised hes pants with an Axe but bleedin marvellous at Chess...........hes on the Kasparov Forom if you need him

• 2 months later...

Haha, yeah, I've been competing in the world chess tournaments for the last month or 2. I was bloody good!
Nah, i've been quite ill for a while and not been on here at all.

Unfortunately there has been absolutely no progress on this bass at all. I still need to sort out the edges of the squares to get rid of the bits of paint that went through the tape. It's going to be a long process and to be honest, I don't know if I can be bothered to do it. I've seriously lost interest in this bass =/ It really sucks that I have considering the time I've already put in to it. It's been sitting on a stand behind my corner stand waiting to be finished.

If anyone knows anyone who would be willing to sort the edges of all the squares out for me then I could probably sort them some money for doing it but as it stands, I don't see it getting finished. As it is, it needs to have the edges cleaned up then it needs to be lacquered.

Cheers
Stevie

• 2 months later...

Hey guys. Sorry I've not posted an update. Basically, this bass has just gone completely on the back burner. Only thing it needs done to it is the squares need tidying up then all the hardware attached (which is all laying in a box in my room). I haven't personally got the patience to sit there and get rid of all the little over runs of white paint from the white squares so I am on the look out for someone who would be interested in doing that for me. Then it will be lacquered and put together again.

I totally agree that it's a shame as it's a 1987 and when I used it to do some recordings, it sounded amazing. But alas, I bit off more than I could chew with this paint job.
Hopefully now I've got money coming in I'll be able to find someone to sort it out for me.

Again, sorry guys!
Stevie