Why become a member? ×

SX Precision Bass

jeid

Hello,

Quite new to this place. Got to admit, I'm a 6 stringer more than a 4 stringer. I'm after an SX Bass for some recording though.

I love Precision Basses, I was never a fan until my mate got two USA Fender Precision basses and I loved them.

Anyway, my question is, how good quality are the SX Basses in comparison to the USA/MIM Fender ones. I've read various sources telling different stories, but I'm looking for more first hand experience. What needs changed to turn it into a great bass?

Pickups, tuners, pots? All of the above?

It's going to be my studio bass.

This was the model I was thinking about getting

[url="http://www.musicasa.es/default.asp?codigo=BAJ_EFE_SX_VPB62&codigosub=BAJ_EFE_&subfamilia=CUERELECTR&familia=CUERDA"]http://www.musicasa.es/default.asp?codigo=...;familia=CUERDA[/url]

Thanks very much for any advice :)

Edited by jeid

Ok, I have very positive first hand experience of SX basses: I bought one (a P) from here last year, put a MM neck and Schaller bridge on it, and then sold my US Precisions on the strength of it, it was that good (it's the one in my avatar pic). Then just before Xmas, I bought an SX P/J from Rondo in the States, transferred the MM neck and bridge, and it's also fantastic. Just used it in the studio for our new album, and it sounded like a good Precision should. No mods to the electrics for me (tho I have heard others have done so), just the neck and bridge, tho the neck was because I love maple, and adding a Schaller 3D is my favourite and first mod to anything - I've put them on more than just the SXs.

For the money, and if you're inclined to mod, it's a no-brainer. IMHO, YMMV, etc, natch.

Edited by Muzz

[quote name='Muzz' post='1106127' date='Jan 28 2011, 12:58 PM']Ok, I have very positive first hand experience of SX basses: I bought one (a P) from here last year, put a MM neck and Schaller bridge on it, and then sold my US Precisions on the strength of it, it was that good (it's the one in my avatar pic). Then just before Xmas, [b]I bought an SX P/J from Rondo in the States[/b], transferred the MM neck and bridge, and it's also fantastic. Just used it in the studio for our new album, and it sounded like a good Precision should. No mods to the electrics for me (tho I have heard others have done so), just the neck and bridge, tho the neck was because I love maple, and adding a Schaller 3D is my favourite and first mod to anything - I've put them on more than just the SXs.

For the money, and if you're inclined to mod, it's a no-brainer. IMHO, YMMV, etc, natch.[/quote]
I did the same in a couple of years ago. The electronics were a bid dodgy, althought he pickups were OK, and the only reason I got rid of it is that the neck was a baseball bat and I'm very much into skinny necks. Very good value for money.

I had one, in fact it's the same one Muzz is on about I think because he bought it from me! Glad you like it Muzz.

My only concern and from what Muzz is saying, he's the same, was the neck on the precision I owned was a bloody log! It really was too thick which was why I sold the bass. It was, in fact, the fattest neck I've ever played or seen on any bass. If you can deal with that, go for it because they're very cheap.

Personally, I replaced the SX with a Classic Vibe Squier Precision which was far more comfortable for me to play.

I've no real experience with thick necks on a bass, like I said, I'm a guitar player... so a neck on a bass is gonna be thick anyway. I'll not be playing it for hours on end I imagine. I reckon it'll be a couple of hours here or there to do some recording stuff. It's going to be an aide for writing new songs :) If the neck is too much of an issue, a new one can be had!

Appreciate all the input guys. The SX sounds like the bass for me :)

I used to have a Jim Deacon strat, which is an SX with a different badge.

By and large it was a nice-ish guitar, but really could have done with better quality components. The frets wore very quickly, the tuners were cheesy and needed replacement within a couple of years, the pickups were a bit rubbish, but the body was very nice, and the neck itself was solid.

You can have a fantastic instrument if you like modding, but you can easily end up paying more than you would for a new MIM Fender for an instrument that's worth considerably less in terms of resale value.

At the end of the day, the SXs are cheap. I've owned about 6 of them - kept the neck off the first one I ever bought and mated it to a nicer body. Make no mistake, the necks are massive on the Ps.
The SXs were good for the money when the exchange rate was awesome - I paid £60 for my first one.
Quality tuners make the bass feel far better. I've always put Gotoh 201 bridges on them. Standard pickups seem fine - electronics seem to be a bit cheap but perfectly usable.

They suffer with typical cheap Chinese build quality - some are great, some are ok and a few are really crap. Consistency is not very good. I think what a lot of people mean when they talk about how good they are is that they are a good base to mod. Standard US Fender is in a different league, but mod a 'good' SX and it will be just as good as the Fender for half the price...

Twas indeed Soloshenko's P I bought first (yep, it's great mate!), tho it had a log of a neck, hence my replacing it with a MM. The neck on the second one, which was a P/J with the 'new' headstock and a rosewood board, is miles and miles better. I've played worse on basses costing three or four times as much. Quality-wise, I can only presume I've had a couple of good ones, because mine have been fine. :)

The only downside about ordering from Rondo now is the exchange rate. And the shipping. And the import duties on both. Bah. Although they did get the bass to me in four days, when the snow meant that another Royal Mail Guaranteed Delivery of mine took nine days to get 45 miles... :)

Edited by Muzz

Yeah, the shipping and import duty is a bit of a lottery. I can't remember the exact amounts but I remember being shocked at how little I had to pay on what is now Muzz's black one.

By the way Muzz, why don't you get some pics of the upgrades you've done? They sound cool and I'm sure I'm not the only one who'd love to see what it looks like.

Edited by Soloshchenko

I bought an SX on here, maple neck, finish was like bright orange goo. I changed the neck and it's ok, but it's still not very exciting bass. The new ones you get from Rondo now have a different headstock, which a lot of people don't like.

A radical alternative is [url="http://www.bachmusik.com/en/music-instruments/bass-guitars"]BaCH[/url], which avoids massive shipping and customs charges, and they make nice basses pretty cheap.

[quote name='spinynorman' post='1107804' date='Jan 30 2011, 01:23 AM']I bought an SX on here, maple neck, finish was like bright orange goo. I changed the neck and it's ok, but it's still not very exciting bass. The new ones you get from Rondo now have a different headstock, which a lot of people don't like.

A radical alternative is [url="http://www.bachmusik.com/en/music-instruments/bass-guitars"]BaCH[/url], which avoids massive shipping and customs charges, and they make nice basses pretty cheap.[/quote]

That's actually the first bit of bad press I've read about the SX's. I'm set on one anyway. Muzz was kind enough to offer me one of his and I've decided to take up the offer. I'm super excited about owning my first 4 string :)

[quote name='spinynorman' post='1107804' date='Jan 30 2011, 01:23 AM']I bought an SX on here, maple neck, finish was like bright orange goo. I changed the neck and it's ok, but it's still not very exciting bass. The new ones you get from Rondo now have a different headstock, which a lot of people don't like.

[b]A radical alternative is [url="http://www.bachmusik.com/en/music-instruments/bass-guitars"]BaCH[/url], which avoids massive shipping and customs charges, and they make nice basses pretty cheap.[/b][/quote]
Not to diss BaCH basses, but some of the choices are pretty exotic and most of them weight a ton! Besides, they're not as cheap as they used to be.

[quote name='Ghost_Bass' post='1106579' date='Jan 28 2011, 06:58 PM']Many others thought the same before you...

...now they're all bass players! Once you've start you just can't let go![/quote]

+1

Ive now sold most of my guitars and replaced with basses.......

I tried an SX at Aylesbury Music (he had imported a few). Good solid bass but a little too chunky for me.

There's nothing wrong with cheap basses if they feel and play to your liking.

My Rouge fretless and the Epiphone Viola were both under £200 from PMT.

A lot of SX love here :) Very well built, a great selection of short scale instruments too. I've modded my fretless 62 jazz to hell! Gotoh bridge, GFS Pro pickups, tried a Varitone but didn't lneed it, and I'm going to rewire the volume pots to 250k versions, for a more authentic vibe.

Those Bach basses look interesting, pity there's no short scale versions as in the SX range.