Why become a member? ×
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

One string louder than the rest with SD QP Precisions?

thatgrantboy

Sooo yeah, the title says it all probably. I recently built up my own p-bass, or more pieced it together from all individual parts.

However, after stringing it up recently for the first time, I now notive the E string is noticeably louder than the others.

I've tried adjusting the pickup heights (by putting foam/cardboard underneath the one pickup to raise it) but to no avail :)

Anybody got anything I could try?

I'm bursting to play this live, because its got a cracking set of parts, is light, yet really solid. This string issue is just holding me back.

Cheers.

I've had this problem on a couple of P basses.In my case the string was misaligned ( badly fitted bridge,thanks Fender..) which lead to the E string being directly over one of the pole pieces instead of between them.If this is the problem,you can get saddles with sideways adjustment to realign the string,or do what I did which is replace the pickup with bar magnet pickups (no pole pieces) such as EMG's.The passive version is cheap and didn't noticably affect the sound.Or you could try a lighter guage E string.Also,rather than raising the other pickup,have you tried lowering the one under the E string?

Edited by Spike Vincent

Just to answer a few possibilities from the above:

I've tried it through a little orange combo, and DI'd to a computer to record. Still get the same problem, so rules that out.

I've tried lowering the E side as much as possible whilst raising the rest...still obnoxiously louder than the rest :/

The bridge is a Gotoh 201 with the quarter pounders. I don't particularly want to buy any new parts as all those are new, and are none too shabby i think..

Just to add....the 3 quieter strings are all brand new. However the E string is a recycled one from an old set that I've stuck on there just to string it up. I think its actually a thick gauge A string as opposed to a regular E string (although it is thicker than the brand new A string)
To my knowledge though, that shouldnt make it this much louder than the other three, right? :S

I could try the swapping around when I get the chance too.

[quote name='thatgrantboy' post='1105145' date='Jan 27 2011, 03:10 PM']....Just to add....the 3 quieter strings are all brand new. However the E string is a recycled one from an old set that I've stuck on there just to string it up. I think its actually a thick gauge A string as opposed to a regular E string (although it is thicker than the brand new A string)
To my knowledge though, that shouldnt make it this much louder than the other three, right? :S

I could try the swapping around when I get the chance too.[/quote]
In theory a different string with a different amount of steel in it could make a difference. I'm not sure how noticeable it would be in practice, I mean you've raised and lowered the pup height which should make a far greater difference than a few microns on the string core.

I'd still go with an imbalance in the magnets and go for the swap.

I wouldn't have thought it would've made THIS much difference anyway.
I could cope with one being marginally louder, but its a fair sight louder than the rest, which is odd. And like you say, raising and lowering pickup heights (to extreme differences) would've made a far more noticeable difference.

Hopefully I'll get the chance to swap them around tomorrow, then I'll let you all know how it goes!

[quote name='thatgrantboy' post='1104993' date='Jan 27 2011, 01:05 PM']Sooo yeah, the title says it all probably. I recently built up my own p-bass, or more pieced it together from all individual parts.

However, after stringing it up recently for the first time, I now notive the E string is noticeably louder than the others.

I've tried adjusting the pickup heights (by putting foam/cardboard underneath the one pickup to raise it) but to no avail :)

Anybody got anything I could try?

I'm bursting to play this live, because its got a cracking set of parts, is light, yet really solid. This string issue is just holding me back.

Cheers.[/quote]

Probably a dum answer as I don't know these particular pickups but have you got them the right way round ( maybe some else can answer this on these pickups? ) they might have different outputs for the respective strings, maybe you have the G poles on the E. Or it could be an alignment issue, but unlikely as this tends to effect the A as well although to a lesser extent, or its a dud pickup. It can't be anything else! if the answer is no to all these then you will just have to play lightly!

[quote name='Spike Vincent' post='1105180' date='Jan 27 2011, 03:48 PM']The obvious suspect is the E string itself,methinks.[/quote]

Yes I didnt read that bit! it will make a difference the lower tension of the A 'E' will prob not excite the magnets as much as the others, aside from the difference in tension which would play weird, if you are strugging for a new E I have just had a massive string experiment so I have a few sets of been on five mins they are all 105's if you PM I can sendone to you! Elites Ernies or Fender! that is if 105's are any good

Edited by dan670844

[quote name='Spike Vincent' post='1105180' date='Jan 27 2011, 03:48 PM']The obvious suspect is the E string itself,methinks.[/quote]

+1 on that. I'd definitely try a matched set of strings before doing anything else ...

+1

You wouldnt wanna take out your pickups and risk messing them up when it could just be solved by putting a set of matching strings on! I don't know about eveyone else, but I treat pickups like gold dust! I keep them in cloths when they're out of the bass and I have PUP covers to stop me from accidentally banging them when I get all excited. I don't know why I think they're so fragile!

Truckstop

Sounds like the different gauge E string to me.

I`ve (and my band have) noticed a huge difference in the lack of bottom end when I`ve tried regular gauge strings, in comparison to my usual heavy gauge strings, so If its a case of the E being heavy, and the rest being regular that would be the first, and least costly thing to look at.

Hopefully it'll just be something as simple as this then! If it is, then its weird to think how it could be affected just by a different string.

If it doesnt solve the problem, I may just cry! Ahah.

If I take up dan's offer of an e string, would having that e string make the same problem (ias all the strings would be new, but the e would be from a different set, so not matched)?

Edited by thatgrantboy

Possibly, plus if its not had the same amount of use that the others have had, it may sound either more zingy, or flatter, so you won`t be able to make a realistic comparison.

I`d recommend buying a new set of strings and put them on. If it solves it, great. If it doesn`t solve it, well you have to look further, but at least when you do look further, all of your strings will be the same brand/gauge, so it will make identifying the problem easier, as the performance of the strings will be equal.

as it's only for a test, pick up a set of cheapie strings and pop them on - that way, you'll be losing less than a tenner at the worst!

now for the silly thoughts:
I trust it genuinely is just the E... so A on the E string is louder than the open A? (just to check it's not frequency related)

are the pickups bar magnet type, or individual magnets for each string? If the latter, loose magnet/wrong magnet?

swapping D/G fr E/A and trying them the other way up would prove if there was "loud" pickup pole.

try damping the other strings as you play on the E... there could be a resonance which is sounding a harmonic in another string - a reinforced octave or similar would make a significant difference to the percieved volume.

I'll be buying a new set of strings anyway to try out, but just because I need to also, so I'll pick up a set of DRs.

The open E is louder than any other open string (or any fretted notes on any string for that matter). So if I do runs around the fretboard, any fret on the E sticks out like a sore thumb.

The pickups are pole type (spd-3s). If the string change doesnt work, I'll try swapping around the pair, to see if it happens on another string.

Also tried the muting thing (so playing in a somewhat staccato fashion on every string) and the E still stands out.

Did you get the pick ups brand new or second hand? Also, you really do need to make sure you have the pick ups the right way round as I've used SPB-3's before and accidentally put them in the wrong way round. The sound was completely unbalanced when that happened.

You need to make sure the wires are this way round coming from the pick ups

Black at the top
White/yellow at the bottom
Black connector from bottom joint of top pick up to top joint of bottom pick up

Also, what pots are you using in the bass?

If this doesn't work and they are brand new, I suggest you take them back

[quote name='StevieD_FenderP2009' post='1110447' date='Jan 31 2011, 11:53 PM']..You need to make sure the wires are this way round coming from the pick ups...[/quote]
That's not necessarily true. Yes that is the convention... but for a standard "in series" arrangement all you have to ensure is that (assuming you have the 2 pups connected North to South as in the pic above) you have a North (or South depending on how you chosen to wire it*) running to earth while simultaneously treating it's opposite, South (or North*) as your "hot" wire. There is nothing physically to stop you swapping the E/A and the D/G.
Every now and then you get a single coil pup (which is basically what one half of a P pup is) with a weaker or stronger end which is why I suggested swapping them about.

[quote name='Ou7shined' post='1110508' date='Feb 1 2011, 12:52 AM']That's not necessarily true. Yes that is the convention... but for a standard "in series" arrangement all you have to ensure is that (assuming you have the 2 pups connected North to South as in the pic above) you have a North (or South depending on how you chosen to wire it*) running to earth while simultaneously treating it's opposite, South (or North*) as your "hot" wire. There is nothing physically to stop you swapping the E/A and the D/G.
Every now and then you get a single coil pup (which is basically what one half of a P pup is) with a weaker or stronger end which is why I suggested swapping them about.[/quote]

Oh okay, fair enough. My bad :)