Why become a member? ×

Brighton Luthiers...

philw

All,

My lovely fretless Precision A/E, recently acquired from TheGreek, needs its fingerboard shooting (it's got a definite raised area on the treble side above the 12th fret). Can anybody recommend someone in or around Brighton that I should trust with the job?

Phil

GB Guitars
41 Prestonville Road
Seven Dials
Brighton
Sussex
BN1 3TJ
[url="http://www.gbguitars.co.uk/"]http://www.gbguitars.co.uk/[/url]
+44 (0) 1273 220 055

Don't blame me if you end up ordering a Spitfire or Rumour though. :)

[quote name='philw' post='1103347' date='Jan 26 2011, 11:14 AM']All,

My lovely fretless Precision A/E, recently acquired from TheGreek, needs its fingerboard shooting (it's got a definite raised area on the treble side above the 12th fret). Can anybody recommend someone in or around Brighton that I should trust with the job?

Phil[/quote]

Yes, go see Bernie at GB.

[quote name='philw' post='1103347' date='Jan 26 2011, 11:14 AM']All,

Phil[/quote]
I'm worried now - it's not anything I did is it?? Expensive??

Sorry if it is..

[quote name='TheGreek' post='1104221' date='Jan 26 2011, 07:22 PM']I'm worried now - it's not anything I did is it?? Expensive??

Sorry if it is..[/quote]

Mick,

Don't worry, nothing to do with you, I'm very happy with the bass. I just like a bass with a low action and to get the A/E the way I want it I think the fingerboard needs attention. It's no more than I'd expect of a 20 year old Precision, although it may well be that the bass always had a slightly lumpy fingerboard - it is after all a mass produced item and not a custom, luthier built masterpiece. Remember too that I've been conditioned by my Wal and by Joe Veillette's extraordinary necks/fingerboards.

Phil

PS. I know it's a Custom you want but there's a lovely looking Wal Pro 1 Passive on Ebay. Item No. 320647403728

Phew...I was worried that I'd sold you a duffer..

Thanks for the info on the Wal on eBay I had a look - pretty similar to the one I had - I'm happy to wait for the right one to come along at the right price though there are a few beautiful examples on BC which I'd love to own. As I said when I was down in Brighton, a friend of mine's brother has a fretless which he rarely plays and may be parted from - I'd need a fretted neck or to find somebody who would trade for a fretted...

I'm not keeping it a secret that I'm looking for a good one - hopefully one will come up soon..