Why become a member? ×
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Insurance

willyf87

I've taken a leaf out of my father's book - if you can afford to replace it don't get insurance (just look after it). As such only bothered to insure my house and full contents (should a fire wipe it out) and the car. Other than that I take my chances, but make sure I look after/keep an eye on my gear.

Membership of the Musicians Union gives you up to £2,000.00 worth of free insurance. The rates for increasing the amount covered are quite reasonable too.

For some the MU sub is worth it for the insurance alone, plus you get all the other benefits of MU membership.

rates here, the student rate is really cheap too.

[url="http://www.musiciansunion.org.uk/site/cms/contentCategoryView.asp?category=228"]http://www.musiciansunion.org.uk/site/cms/...sp?category=228[/url]

I'm more worried about it being nicked from a venue when my backs turned, or me accidentally dropping it and wrecking a neck etc.. the quotes I was getting for pretty much all my gear was around £6-10 a month. On the flip side I've never broken an instrument or had one nicked and I've been playing for 10 years! But I haven't been gigging for a while, just starting to again now.

[quote name='MacDaddy' post='1102017' date='Jan 25 2011, 12:58 PM']Membership of the Musicians Union gives you up to £2,000.00 worth of free insurance. The rates for increasing the amount covered are quite reasonable too.

For some the MU sub is worth it for the insurance alone, plus you get all the other benefits of MU membership.

rates here, the student rate is really cheap too.

[url="http://www.musiciansunion.org.uk/site/cms/contentCategoryView.asp?category=228"]http://www.musiciansunion.org.uk/site/cms/...sp?category=228[/url][/quote]

I've checked out the fine print on that insurance and it's not that good. You're not covered in your car for one.

I agree, you can afford to replace it, don't bother, but if like me, that's not an option, My gear is very expensive and I use it alot Try www.allianzmusicalinsurance.co.uk, very good, covered in car, if damaged, you can also get a courtesy instrument while your claim is going through.

Also check your home insurance, you might be covered under personal items.

Be careful at venues, unless the door is locked or manned, as you still may not be covered. I usually keep my bass with me or leave it with a friend if i'm at the normal London venues like the bull and gate, purple turtple etc. I'm just fussy like my dad :-)

I did a gig at Bar Music Hall last year and the same guy who thought I was being overly protective with my bass had his stolen that night. It was lifted from the side of the stage.

[quote name='alanbass1' post='1102010' date='Jan 25 2011, 12:53 PM']I've taken a leaf out of my father's book - if you can afford to replace it don't get insurance (just look after it).[/quote]

My father-in-law never had any insurance for anything, except the legal stuff for his car. He must have saved thousands over the years, and never did suffer any losses anyway!

I haven't the nerve to not insure the house though and, as long as it's for recreation, a good policy will probably cover a bass and amp anyway. I think we have £2500 of "all-risks" cover for unspecified items under £1000 outside the home - or something like that. Different policies will have different numbers but the principle is the same. And, often, for a few pounds, the standard limits can be increased anyway.

If your're a professional muso then it's all different of course.

[quote name='algmusic' post='1103812' date='Jan 26 2011, 03:14 PM']I've checked out the fine print on that insurance and it's not that good. You're not covered in your car for one.[/quote]

you are if it's not a soft top or covertable, and your gear is out of sight.

"We will not pay any amount if the equipment or instrument is left in
an unattended vehicle, unless that vehicle is of the fully enclosed
type (not a soft topped or convertible vehicle), and provided that
whilst left in an unattended vehicle you had hidden it from view in
the vehicle (for example, in a glove compartment or boot), locked
the vehicle, with all windows and sunroofs closed, and used all
available security systems."

I have Musicguard, never made a claim but the cover is pretty thorough.

My gear is covered;
In the house.
In the studio.
In the venue.
In the car (covered up).
The latter 3 are for up to 72hrs as well and any where in the country to.

I also have public liability of £1m, have a replacement when needed and have an option for hire cover if any thing goes wrong.

£3k's worth of kit for £90 a year, worth it as I see it, I'm playing alot more now to so I don't feel I'll be taking the risk.

I agree with you, if you can afford to replace the gear, insuring it won't really be necessary. How ever if you cant afford to replace it?

Dan

[quote name='pietruszka' post='1104460' date='Jan 26 2011, 10:06 PM']I have Musicguard, never made a claim but the cover is pretty thorough.

My gear is covered;
In the house.
In the studio.
In the venue.
In the car (covered up).
The latter 3 are for up to 72hrs as well and any where in the country to.

I also have public liability of £1m, have a replacement when needed and have an option for hire cover if any thing goes wrong.

£3k's worth of kit for £90 a year, worth it as I see it, I'm playing alot more now to so I don't feel I'll be taking the risk.

I agree with you, if you can afford to replace the gear, insuring it won't really be necessary. How ever if you cant afford to replace it?

Dan[/quote]

+1 for Musicguard....

I've been playing for 28 years and never broken anything until 2009 when (allegedly) a roadie at the O2 stood on my Stingray 5 and broke the neck!

Musicguard were brilliant! They liased with Musicman regarding an equivalent replacement, came and collected the busted bass and all in all took 2 weeks to get a new bass.