Why become a member? ×

Help! I Need (want) A Certain Bass Overdrive Sound

Prime_BASS

I've only really played with grindy bass sounds.
And the best sounding pedal to that I've used is the EHX Big Muff. However, I'm after a overdrive grind.
In particular, Takeshi Ueda's sound from Mad Capsule Markets.
The drive on the OSC-DIS album is what I'm really after.

I feel rather limited in what's available locally. I was also wondering how much playing with a pick on a P bass would make a difference to the overall sound, since I play with fingers on a ray.

Thanks
Stepheb

You'll definitely need to use a pick. Using a Pbass would help but it's probably not crucial.

I can get veeery damned close with a Jazz and a sansamp. Start off just getting a sansamp then see how close you can get with your bass. You'll definitely need more for his 'solo' tone though.

its p bass into pearce bc1 for almost all his tones, with some fulltone bass drive and other drivey pedals around cistm konfliqt time.

before i had my pearce bc1 i could get close to some of the tones with a sansamp rbi and really new strings, but you can nail it with the pearce.

basically its all about p bass with some clank, get the high mids boosted at 1khz, some more treble above that, get your pick out and you're in awesome zone

It's an old rackmount preamp with two channels with distortion on each, they're voiced differently so offer some different distortion options, the company went bust in the early 90's so they're pretty hard to find, i scored mine on ebay a long time ago and still keep my eyes peeled for a second one.

o.k., i'm a big fan of that MCM stuff too.

i'm trying to get a similar sound.

i found the bddi too lacking in the mids for the proper 'clank'. (for my bass*), so the hartke vxl works better (for me*)

that, blended with a fuzz and/or synth will make an unholy mess in your underwear, given the correct cabs.

* other options available..

Edited by phil.i.stein

with the bddi you've really got to crank the presence knob, i can't remember what freq it boosts but i remember it not being too far off 1khz (it was higher though, so a bit too harsh)

the para drive sansamp thing might be a better option? it has a sweepable mid freq available, i think that's the key, the 1khz super boost! and some drive

I havnt listened to MCM for ages! I saw them live on my birthday a good few years back, only cost me a couple of quid. Result.

Anyway, if the bddi sucks too much mids then try the MXR M80. The distortion on it is clanky which will help with the sound you're after when you dial a little bit in. The colour button is always on with the distortion channel, and although it drops the mids a bit too, it also ups the bass and treble. Just roll off the bass a bit and up the mids to compensate the loss. Gives a good present, slightly gritty tone.

[quote name='Ant' post='1103185' date='Jan 26 2011, 09:11 AM']with the bddi you've really got to crank the presence knob, i can't remember what freq it boosts but i remember it not being too far off 1khz (it was higher though, so a bit too harsh)

the para drive sansamp thing might be a better option? it has a sweepable mid freq available, i think that's the key, the 1khz super boost! and some drive[/quote]

I had the Para driver for a while. Very useful tool but in this sense its drive option changed the character to much for me...

My local store says it stocks that fulltone bass drive so I'm gonna go down and check it out with my bass.

ok, keep in mind that takeshi started using his fulltone AFTER osc dis, so it could take you closer to the 010 sound or more likely the cistm konfliqt sound, but ive never used one so i dont know how versatile they are, they could be right what you're after, try finding a way to boost your high mids at 1khz as well, it will really really help trust me!

also if anyone lives in leeds they're fully welcome to come have a go with my pearce BC1 preamp