Why become a member? ×

Any of you guys done Gary Willis Ultimate Ear training for Guitar and Bass?

Cantdosleepy

Hey guys,

So I'm having another bash at Gary Willis' ear training course. One of my resolutions is to finish this book and get a solid grip on relative pitch - really train my ear.

I've got as far as chapter three, but I'm pretty shaky.

Random observations:

I find it really tough to tell between root->perfect 4th and root->perfect fifth.

Singing a chromatic scale is super-tough!

My voice is embarrassingly weak.

People look at you funny on the tube if you hum scales to yourself.

Anyone done this book? Any tips for improving relative pitch?

I've looked at it a few times and with my previous experience of Gary Willis stuff I decided to dodge it.

I've always been taught to pick intervals that relate to songs that you know - I'll dig out my list tonight (when I get home) and post the examples, I find that they are very useful.

[quote name='Cantdosleepy' post='125265' date='Jan 22 2008, 09:27 AM']People look at you funny on the tube if you hum scales to yourself.[/quote]

Just slightly OT, I was doing some rhythm exercises in my head on the tube, but must have been murmuring some of the beats. This couple gave me the most weirded out look anyone has ever given me. So I feel your pain. :)

I have this book and it's really good - extremely thorough and pretty merciless too - i.e. tough! I didn't get that far because I'm so busy but I have done some ear training over the years so mine aren't too bad when it comes to transcribing stuff and hearing what a chord is - i.e. major, minor, diminished, augmented - sharp 5th etc etc - but I'll add a +1 to learning a song - or jazz standards if you are further along the whole jazzy thing - and seeing shapes, sounds of each chord and seeing what it sounds like - the tension/resolution of it etc. I just dug out my Jamey Abersold 'Giant Steps' book - which has 6 really tough standards in played all 12 keys - obviously including Giant Steps - now that is some serious practice right there.... ear training is as simple as sitting down and learning your favourite tunes from a CD/MP3 whatever - that's how I've always done it. It works.

M

Cool.

I'm approaching this from an indie-rock position, which is much easier than jazz I assume (hey - was that E5 then A5? What happened to G5?). I'm not too bothered abut being able to transcribe. I want to be able to have a jam with my buddies, and when an idea for a melody comes into my head I want to be able to play it straightaway without having to 'hunt and peck' for it. The idea of connecting my melodic sensibility in my head with the fretboard is really attractive to me.

Cheers,
Mike

• 2 weeks later...

[quote name='Mike' post='131312' date='Jan 31 2008, 02:27 PM']Remember, "Here comes the Bride" is a perfect fourth![/quote]

I was about to say that. I'm really rusty with my intervals. When I was at college I used to practice them all the time. We used to have a lesson every Wednesday mornings where the lecturer would play intervals and pick random people in the lecture to name the interval. The fear of getting it wrong in front of everyone was enough to make me learn them all.

I have this book but never got past the first few pages. I might try again now. Another good place to practice intervals is [url="http://www.musictheory.net/trainers/html/id90_en.html"]http://www.musictheory.net/trainers/html/id90_en.html[/url]

[quote name='bassfunk' post='140146' date='Feb 14 2008, 11:02 AM']I was about to say that. I'm really rusty with my intervals. When I was at college I used to practice them all the time. We used to have a lesson every Wednesday mornings where the lecturer would play intervals and pick random people in the lecture to name the interval. The fear of getting it wrong in front of everyone was enough to make me learn them all.

I have this book but never got past the first few pages. I might try again now. Another good place to practice intervals is [url="http://www.musictheory.net/trainers/html/id90_en.html"]http://www.musictheory.net/trainers/html/id90_en.html[/url][/quote]

Did you go to salford!?

i had that every wednesday morning aswell...I was and still am rubbish at hearing intervals.

[quote name='Mikey D' post='140310' date='Feb 14 2008, 01:58 PM']Did you go to salford!?

i had that every wednesday morning aswell...I was and still am rubbish at hearing intervals.[/quote]

No I auditioned for the Bmus but didn't get in. I did a HND at City College Manchester though. I'm in a band with a couple of people who went to Salford.