Why become a member? ×
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Mp3 Plays Fine On Itunes But Sounds Terrible On Myspace?

Beedster

Any ideas guys? All tracks have been mastered the same way and bounced to mp3 via iTunes. All are much the same size, same instrumentation etc. All sound great on iTunes, and all but one sound great on Myspace. The one that doesn't sounds like it's been recorded direct to a very old tape machine underwater?

Cheers

C

I think it's most likely that the myspace music player compresses the quality to reduce buffering, and I suppose that might be more noticable on some tracks than others depending on the mix?

Not that it seems to work, mind.

Edited by Wil

[quote name='Wil' post='1092791' date='Jan 17 2011, 05:27 PM']I think it's most likely that the myspace music player compresses the quality to reduce buffering, and I suppose that might be more noticable on some tracks than others depending on the mix?

Not that it seems to work, mind.[/quote]

Thanks Wil, that makes sense. Any got idea of any ways around the issue (e.g., more compression, cutting lows etc)? The music has been recorded for a Myspace site unfortunately.

Cheers

Did you use monitors to listen to your final mix or headphones ? I've noticed that some headphones make mixes sound good especially though iTunes but on other mediums it sounds bad. Also, iTunes seems to even out some bad mixes where other players like VLC are much more organic.

[quote name='WHUFC BASS' post='1093540' date='Jan 18 2011, 09:55 AM']Did you use monitors to listen to your final mix or headphones ? I've noticed that some headphones make mixes sound good especially though iTunes but on other mediums it sounds bad. Also, iTunes seems to even out some bad mixes where other players like VLC are much more organic.[/quote]

Hi mate

Monitors, headphones, laptop speakers and hifi, and on all of them 4 songs sound great and one sounds crap, despite all 5 of them sounding great on iTunes, suggesting that it's not the conversion to mp3 that's the problem. I tried remixing and adding a little more compression but it's made no noticeable difference?

C

[quote name='Beedster' post='1093548' date='Jan 18 2011, 10:00 AM']Hi mate

Monitors, headphones, laptop speakers and hifi, and on all of them 4 songs sound great and one sounds crap, despite all 5 of them sounding great on iTunes, suggesting that it's not the conversion to mp3 that's the problem. I tried remixing and adding a little more compression but it's made no noticeable difference?

C[/quote]
Have you tried deleting it and re-uploading it Chris? I had a bunch of tunes on mine which didn't play at all!

Or perhaps deleting your myspace account altogether, which a lot of people seem to be doing :)

[quote name='PaulSoundscape' post='1094615' date='Jan 18 2011, 11:03 PM']I think myspaces' bitrate is/was 96kbps which sounds bad,
PLUS they use very poor conversion processes, so experimenting i uploaded really high quality MP3s 320 kbps and 96 kbps and 96kbps sounded better once up on myspace than the 320kbps tracks.[/quote]

Yeah, Myspace compress the uploaded file to a lower bitrate, because it makes the file size smaller and thus uses less disc space on their servers. Given the millions of tracks up on myspace, even halving the file size is a massive saving in running costs. With Myspace losing a lot of business these days, I can imagine that cost saving exercises such as these will become more common place for them as they try to up the profit margins!

[quote name='Wil' post='1092771' date='Jan 17 2011, 05:14 PM']Myspace is awful, particularly now since they've "redesigned" it.

For hosting music, I'd recommend Bandcamp - it's lossless and you can sell your music directly from the site.[/quote]

+1 for Bandcamp.