Why become a member? ×

Date stamp discrepancies?

cameltoe

I pulled apart my G&L L2k the other day, and noticed the body stamp is March 1993, and the neck stamp is November 1992. I've no idea how normal this is, but what makes it weirder still, using the G&L website, the serial on the neck plate dates it at 1991?

Is this something perfectly normal or a bit odd? Ive no reason to doubt it's authenticity otherwise, everything seems great with the bass.

As far as I know G&L serials are not deemed to be accurate and therefore should only be used as an approximate indicator. They buy in a job lot and pull them out of the box until they use them all up then get in more.
A guy goes to assemble an L-2000 and pulls a late '92 neck, an early '93 body and a '91 neck plate from stock, doesn't seem outwith the realms of possibility in a smallish factory such as G&L.

I would have hoped that the serial number would have related to the date the bass left the factory but the dates for the rest of the components could be easily what you see. This is pretty usual and doesn't mean that there have been any problems.