Why become a member? ×

1980 USA Precision on Gumtree

GCYPbass

[url="http://www.gumtree.com/london/04/71849304.html"]http://www.gumtree.com/london/04/71849304.html[/url]

This seems a good price for a 1980 USA Precision Bass. Colour looks rare too. As I dont have a good knowledge about precision basses I dont know if its all original. Just posted if any of the BCers interested in.

p.s. "candy apple blue" sounds really weird though :)

Cheers.

What's puzzling me is the control layout - which should comprise three control pots and a mini toggle switch, on a factory Precision Special. I'd also expect the scratchguard to be white plastic, not gold anodised. As for the colours, I've seen three different blues on Precision Special models - owning one finished in a pale metallic grey-blue, similar to this example, as well as one in a bright, rich blue, with an almost metallic flake effect - with the third variant being something very close to Lake Placid Blue, but with a fade effect.

[quote name='wateroftyne' post='1089441' date='Jan 14 2011, 03:23 PM']I reckon the active circuit has been pulled out, and the pickguard replaced. The rest of it looks right.[/quote]
Yea, the most likely scenario. And the fate another "Special", for sale here last year, had undergone. Commented that that seller might reconsider his description, of Precision Special, given that what made it a "Special" when it left the factory were the pickups and electrics, and that with a set of EMGs and modern electrics all the guy had was an 80s Precision with modern bits, and no more desirable than any other run-of-tthe-mill 80s Precision. This one still has the original high-mass bridge and tuners, although the gold finish looks very worn.

I have one in the same colour and I love it to bits. It's my main gigging bass atm and I rarely (if ever) use the preamp.
They have a killer passive tone so whoever buys it at this price is getting a nice bass, I'm sure.
It looks in great nick, although it won't be a museum piece without the preamp.
One thing though, mine is very heavy!