Why become a member? ×

Fender precision value?

marvin spangles

[quote name='stinson' post='1088544' date='Jan 13 2011, 08:21 PM']Somewhere in the region of £800 - £1,000 depending on condition, modifications etc.[/quote]
Hi Stinson
Curious to know why it would be worth so much as you can get a new US Precision or Jazz for less.
I ask cos I'm shedding a load of gear to make way for a new rig for my Double bass. Need to get lightweight stuff.
Cheers

Seems strange doesn`t it, that 30 year old version of a bass costs more than the very same version brand new?

Theres a 1980s P-Bass up for grabs on here at present for £1200 - it is in great condition though. And a 1972 for £1400, again, good condition.

The older they get, the more it seems they are worth. If your bass is a good player (apparently there were both great, and awful 70s P-Basses) and not modded, you may be looking at even more for it than £1000. Remember, fake relicing is "in" at the moment, so genuine wear shouldn`t be too much of an issue (it wouldn`t be to me anyway).

Edited by Lozz196

[quote name='Lozz196' post='1088769' date='Jan 13 2011, 11:50 PM']Seems strange doesn`t it, that 30 year old version of a bass costs more than the very same version brand new?[/quote]

Not really - you need to factor in mojo @ roughly £20 p.a. back to 1980, then @ £30 p.a. through the 70's.

:)

[quote name='marvin spangles' post='1088651' date='Jan 13 2011, 09:46 PM']Hi Stinson
Curious to know why it would be worth so much as you can get a new US Precision or Jazz for less.
I ask cos I'm shedding a load of gear to make way for a new rig for my Double bass. Need to get lightweight stuff.
Cheers[/quote]

Yeah it is a strange thing, pre 80's Fenders are collectable objects. If you can, get some pictures up so others can make a more informed judgement but I reckon you could achieve somewhere in the region of that figure if the right buyer came along.

Immaculate versions of the 77-78 era are going for £2k and are actually selling even in this current financial climate. We're talking NOS type condition with original till receipts, ashtrays & case etc. So I think it would be unwise to guess a price without pictures and a fair bit more info. A standard ish price seems to be £1200 - £1500 right now but this doesn't factor in resprays, replaced pots, replaced parts, general condition etc. So they can wind up going for as low as £800 as Stinson suggests and looking at the original post is does suggest that this may be leaning towards needing TLC rather than looking like it's just come out the shop.

So detailed pics and a bit of history on the instrument and we can probably give you a much closer idea of what it is actually worth