Why become a member? ×

Head advice?

SkinnyMike

So iv decided i want to part with my Hartke HA3500 head for a Mark bass head.

I tried out a mark bass head and cab and G.A.K in Brighton and fell in love with them straight away.
I was originally going to look for a couple of effecta and came home with a mark bass cab.

Now i want to upgrade to a Head and iv been recomended that the Mark bass lite 250 was the one to get, but the question i ask you lot is:

Which head would be the best to power my "15 inch cab nicely and would be a great head for giging?

cheers

The_house

**EDIT** Look at post 15. Need opinions on this. :) :huh:

Edited by the_house123

so no one is willing to talk about best heads to power my cab?

Im hoping to gain about £650 and i loved one of the markbass heads i tried out.(not entirely sure which one i tried out. They all looked the same :))

Any similar products to markbass that will power my cab very nicely within my price range? Or can anyone vouch for a certain brand over another etc.. etc..

mate

I've got a Little Mark which pushes out as near as damn it 500W @ 4ohms. It also has 2 channles which is great when I switch between my Acitve Stingray and Passive P-bass. The 2 Filters are amazing too and I use them far more than adjusting the EQ.

It's a very "natural" sounding amp too and lets you hear the bass voice without altering it too much (unless you want to).

That's the reason why I chose it over the LMK 2.

Does that help or is it all B@llocks?

Edited by Old Horse Murphy

I would not get the LM250. Its not loud enough for most gigging situations IMHO.
It only puts out 250watts in to 4 ohms. and that's pushing it to max.

I dont konw what cab you got or what type of gigs you will be doing but you should really be looking at the LMII minimum if going the MB route. Yes, it costs more but better to spend now than to get a head that you will end up selling at a loss in the very near future, again, IMO.

Personally I went for the SA450. Thats the same output as the LMII but its slightly bigger and a bit more versatile. I do now have a LMII as well for another band but both heads put out enough for any of my gigs. I also had a MB 151P cab (one of the older, square ones) and that was nowhere near loud enough, even with my SA450. changed cab's and now i never go over half on the master.

All IME & IMHO of course.

thanks for the reply Murphy.

Yes iv looked at various reviews about this head and it does sound bloody brilliant. I think i may have even used it when i was at the shop. Its good to hear about such a natural sound as im looking for that the most. Im swaying towards that head quite a lot. And the fact its very light is also a great advantage as my hartke is so daym annoying to move around.

I have also had an interest in some Warick heads. (warick x-treme 5.1)
Can anyone vouch for Warick or tried both sets, maybe tried an alternative to both these brands and heads etc..etc..

thanks

Dave, thats some interesting stuff your saying here.

I should point out i want something that will power enough for gigs. This SA450, never even heard of it tbh :) but i hadnt heard of mark bass till i went to the shop.

Il definatly have to try thoes out and look much more into them.

My cab is this: [url="http://www.guitarampkeyboard.com/en/traveler-151-p/12368"]Cab[/url]

Im looking to also get another cab but thats a different story and i will think of that at a later date.

[quote name='the_house123' post='126114' date='Jan 23 2008, 02:29 PM']thanks for the reply Murphy.

Yes iv looked at various reviews about this head and it does sound bloody brilliant. I think i may have even used it when i was at the shop. Its good to hear about such a natural sound as im looking for that the most. Im swaying towards that head quite a lot. And the fact its very light is also a great advantage as my hartke is so daym annoying to move around.

I have also had an interest in some Warick heads. (warick x-treme 5.1)
Can anyone vouch for Warick or tried both sets, maybe tried an alternative to both these brands and heads etc..etc..

thanks[/quote]

I could be wrong but i dont think you will get a natural sound through a 1x15 but i know what you mean.
Im not even sure you will get a natural sound out of a MB head but what you do get does seem to please most people. Maybe its just less coloured.

They are brilliant though, at any size or weight.

ha, yeh i know what you mean but this may sound odd but i find my style of playing with my bass working with markbass did sound just too good.
But im still going to look around as i dont want to make a rational decision on this as for me im going to be parting with a lot of money. (being a student :))

So so far recomendations are markbass LMK and the SA450.

Any other models i should look at?

thanks for the help so far

[quote name='the_house123' post='126126' date='Jan 23 2008, 02:37 PM']Dave, thats some interesting stuff your saying here.

I should point out i want something that will power enough for gigs. This SA450, never even heard of it tbh :) but i hadnt heard of mark bass till i went to the shop.

Il definatly have to try thoes out and look much more into them.

My cab is this: [url="http://www.guitarampkeyboard.com/en/traveler-151-p/12368"]Cab[/url]

Im looking to also get another cab but thats a different story and i will think of that at a later date.[/quote]

Ah, that's the cab i had. only did two gigs with it and hated it. It sounded nice and full at home but at the gigs (and gigs i had played many times before) it got completely lost in the mix. And these were the only gigs i have ever run out of steam at. Had the master on almost max and still didnt have enough.

I think it was a lack of mids more than anything else. certainly the low end was there but all the music seemed to dissappear if that makes sense.

when i took it back to the shop we hooked it up next to a Epifani UL115. same amp, same settings and what a difference. it was like someone had removed a fire blanket. The UL115 was very full and loud.
Sorry, thats not what you really want to hear but i thought i might as well tell you my experience with that cab. I feel that the 151P is meant to be used with another cab, like a 210.

The SA450 is the bigger brother to the LMII. Same output spec but more EQ control and also a level control on the XLR out and a pre or post EQ switch on the back. I got this as i have a 1210R cab and thats very middy. I wanted more control over the mids to tame it. As it turned out i didnt really need it and the MB heads go well with Schroeder cabs, just like they do with Epifani cabs.

All IMO of course.

[quote name='the_house123' post='126137' date='Jan 23 2008, 02:46 PM']ha, yeh i know what you mean but this may sound odd but i find my style of playing with my bass working with markbass did sound just too good.
But im still going to look around as i dont want to make a rational decision on this as for me im going to be parting with a lot of money. (being a student :))

So so far recomendations are markbass LMK and the SA450.

Any other models i should look at?

thanks for the help so far[/quote]

Exactly. MB heads seems to have something special about them tone wise.
I know some people dont like it though but i think its more the lack of colouring rather than anything else.

Not a recommendation as such but when i had some slightly bigger gigs coming up last year i got a GK 1001RBII as, on paper, its louder. 480watts in to 8ohms as opposed to 300watts.
Trouble was, to get a clean, full sound from the GK i had to keep the volume/gain down and so got nowhere near the full output. Also at one gig i used it for the first set and my SA450 for the second. The SA450 filled the room much better. more low end and a smoother tone.
But thats just my opinion and it suites my playing style. Im only doing covers but i find i can get most styles out of the MB heads.
I would use a GK again, but only if both my MB heads were broken.

Edited by dave_bass5

[quote name='dave_bass5' post='126147' date='Jan 23 2008, 02:57 PM']Exactly. MB heads seems to have something special about them tone wise.
I know some people dont like it though but i think its more the lack of colouring rather than anything else.

Not a recommendation as such but when i had some slightly bigger gigs coming up last year i got a GK 1001RBII as, on paper, its louder. 480watts in to 8ohms as opposed to 300watts.
Trouble was, to get a clean, full sound from the GK i had to keep the volume/gain down and so got nowhere near the full output. Also at one gig i used it for the first set and my SA450 for the second. The SA450 filled the room much better. more low end and a smoother tone.
But thats just my opinion and it suites my playing style. Im only doing covers but i find i can get most styles out fo the MB heads.
I would use a GK again, but only if both my MB heads were broken.[/quote]

Yeh, thinking about it though even though the sound i get with my MB cab is one i love, the mids dont sound as full as they should if that makes sence. They do almost drop off and dissapear into the drums rather than pushing them away :)
I need to find a mix between the tone of a MB cab but one that can deliver better when it comes to the mids a bit more.

Head wise, GK was a make i was thinking about, but price wise i think they might be too much. Same goes for Trace. I could be wrong though...

Edited by the_house123

[quote name='the_house123' post='126159' date='Jan 23 2008, 03:08 PM']Yeh, thinking about it though even though the sound i get with my MB cab, the mids dont sound as full as they should if that makes sence. They do almost drop off and dissapear into the drums rather than pushing them away :)
I need to find a mix between the tone of a MB cab but one that can deliver better when it comes to the mids a bit more.

Head wise, GK was a make i was thinking about, but price wise i think they might be too much. Same goes for Trace. I could be wrong though...[/quote]

Yeah, that sounds like my experience. But i didnt find out until i was at a gig. Lucky i could take the cab back.

I can recommend the UL115. Like i have said, its a very full sounding 1x15. In fact it can get very bright if needed. Ive not heard a 1x15 like this before although him sure there are loads around. And its light enough to carry with one hand (not too far though). Only trouble is its not cheap. I paid £450 for mine second hand from the Gallery in London. new they are around £700 over here i believe. I had it up for sale for around £350 last year ago but got no takers. i decided not to push it too much as i really love the cab, even though i dont use it now.

My GK cost £499 so i think its in the same price range as the bigger MB heads like the LMK and SA450.

Epiffany rite? If so my mates uncle has one of these but the 2x10 version.

Never tried it but hes been playing bass a while. I will definatly have to check that out! Power wise though, whats it like when giging? in your opinion obviously :)

Head wise im definatly going to have to have a long long try in the shop to find that new sound.
Well as long as i sell my items il be able to get all this.

Thanks for your knowledge so far Dave, your a star! :huh:

[quote name='dave_bass5' post='126167' date='Jan 23 2008, 03:17 PM']Yeah, that sounds like my experience. But i didnt find out until i was at a gig. Lucky i could take the cab back.

I can recommend the UL115. Like i have said, its a very full sounding 1x15. In fact it can get very bright if needed. Ive not heard a 1x15 like this before although him sure there are loads around. And its light enough to carry with one hand (not too far though). Only trouble is its not cheap. I paid £450 for mine second hand from the Gallery in London. new they are around £700 over here i believe. I had it up for sale for around £350 last year ago but got no takers. i decided not to push it too much as i really love the cab, even though i dont use it now.

My GK cost £499 so i think its in the same price range as the bigger MB heads like the LMK and SA450.[/quote]

[quote name='the_house123' post='126179' date='Jan 23 2008, 03:25 PM']Epiffany rite? If so my mates uncle has one of these but the 2x10 version.

Never tried it but hes been playing bass a while. I will definatly have to check that out! Power wise though, whats it like when giging? in your opinion obviously :)

Head wise im definatly going to have to have a long long try in the shop to find that new sound.
Well as long as i sell my items il be able to get all this.

Thanks for your knowledge so far Dave, your a star! :huh:[/quote]

Yeah, Epifani. These cabs seem to go very well with MB heads.

This is mine
[url="http://www.epifani.com/products/club115.php"]UL115[/url].

Volume wise its very good. i play in a four piece covers band and never had a problem getting heard. i guess its really down to how loud the rest of the band are and how big the venue is. played to over 200 people with it. I now use a UL212 as that's louder and 4ohns so i get the full output from the head. never needed it though.
with my other band (same sort of line up) i use my LMII and Schroeder 1210. That rig is even louder. Again, the Mb heads seem to go well with the Schroeder cabs and these cabs are really loud.

christ, been having a little gander on the net and schroeder are LOUD. Dave, if yo uwere in my position, looking at various makes, (MB,GK,Warick,Epifany,and now schroeder) which do you find has the best tone?

In fact, anyone, if you have tried any of these cabs, which took your fancy and why?

Head wise, If you have tried and GK, MB, or Warick, which took your fancy and why?

thanks
mike

[quote name='the_house123' post='126261' date='Jan 23 2008, 04:43 PM']christ, been having a little gander on the net and schroeder are LOUD. Dave, if yo uwere in my position, looking at various makes, (MB,GK,Warick,Epifany,and now schroeder) which do you find has the best tone?

In fact, anyone, if you have tried any of these cabs, which took your fancy and why?

Head wise, If you have tried and GK, MB, or Warick, which took your fancy and why?

thanks
mike[/quote]
Mike

I use MB and Schroeder, so does Old Git and a few other guys. I love the sound and it's incredibly portable and LOUD...but it really shows up my sloppy technique!!

Nick

thanks Murphy, Im definatly going to need to have a closer look, and try out these cabs im going for power much more than before due to band etc.. etc.. you know how it is.

In terms of heads though, still unsure as i originally thought M was the ultimate way forward, but looking around GK is rite up there. I need to try it all out though to find my sound.

thanks for all the input so far guys, its realy helped me out.

[quote name='the_house123' post='126261' date='Jan 23 2008, 04:43 PM']christ, been having a little gander on the net and schroeder are LOUD. Dave, if yo uwere in my position, looking at various makes, (MB,GK,Warick,Epifany,and now schroeder) which do you find has the best tone?[/quote]
Mike, everyone has different opinions so asking "which has the best tone" will give as many responses as there are bass amp manufacturers!! e.g. I hate the Ashdown tone and love the Trace sound but I know plenty of people with other opinions. Best is to try lots for yourself. You seem to like the MB stuff so that's a damn fine place to start!

[quote name='the_house123' post='126261' date='Jan 23 2008, 04:43 PM']christ, been having a little gander on the net and schroeder are LOUD. Dave, if yo uwere in my position, looking at various makes, (MB,GK,Warick,Epifany,and now schroeder) which do you find has the best tone?

thanks
mike[/quote]

I dont have a lot of experience with many brands so can only go by what i have used. And im not too good with tonal descriptions.
Dont forget also that we all want different things from our gear so these are just my findings.

Schroeder's seem to be an either you love them or hate them type of cab. the smaller ones have quite a bit of mid hump. this gives them the power to cut through the mix. and this is what they do best. on their own, say at home they don't sound great but once in a band situation, and out front they seem to do a great job. lows are there and they can sound bright if needed but they have this sort of kick that most other cabs don't. I didn't like mine much when i first got it but now i love the tone.

The Epifani 's have a great tone and i do prefer them. more so the 1x15 than the UL212 but the UL212 is loud and full. both are lightweight cabs and very easy to move. I would say that my 1210R can out preform the larger UL212 but the UL212 has a nicer, more full range tone.
The UL115 is just a really nice 1x15 that might not be the loudest 1x15 but again, if very full sounding and i would say its not exactly a traditional sounding 1x15 as in old school 1x15. If it was louder i might be using that more but my band can get quite loud on stage (against my wishes) and the UL212 seems to keep up just a bit better.

Saying all that i played RAF Duxford last year with my SA450 and a second hand, £75 Ashdown MAG 1x15. We played the American AF museum, its the big hanger and this rig performed well. Again, no PS support.

Head wise I sort of fell in to the MB thing. I had a ABM300EVOII head that i didnt like and so needed to get something louder very quickly. The bass Centre had the LMII in stock, i played it, liked the sound but hated the look. In the end i ordered the SA450 for the extra EQ section and have been happy ever since other than my brief flirtation with the GK. The Gk looks the part and had a good tone but as i had both heads i kept going back to the SA450 for the reasons i mentioned in another reply. I soon got rid of it and replaced it with the LMII for use with my other band.

After two years with the SA450 i find i tend to use it almost flat on the EQ and use the two "wonder knobs" more.

Bottom line. If i was buying again i would get a LMII and a 1212L. Probably looking at less than £1000 but thats out of your budget.

Edited by dave_bass5

[quote name='Merton' post='126288' date='Jan 23 2008, 05:01 PM']Mike, everyone has different opinions so asking "which has the best tone" will give as many responses as there are bass amp manufacturers!! e.g. I hate the Ashdown tone and love the Trace sound but I know plenty of people with other opinions. Best is to try lots for yourself. You seem to like the MB stuff so that's a damn fine place to start![/quote]

Merton, thank you for your reply but,

Yes i know that saying this will attract many different varietys of opinions, but from my own experience, i seam to find getting as much information from other people about different makes, models etc.. very usefull. I think of it more like a survey kind of thing. (Its hard to explain) :)
However Yes i think the MB might be the head i am looking for but in terms of which one, that will be decided on the day i think.

Dave, thank you that was very helpfull and if and even thought its early days, im fairly sure the epifany range might be the answer. IL have to contact my friends uncle about having a go on it.

[quote name='the_house123' post='126296' date='Jan 23 2008, 05:11 PM']Dave, thank you that was very helpfull and if and even thought its early days, im fairly sure the epifany range might be the answer. IL have to contact my friends uncle about having a go on it.[/quote]

No problem.
I think the LMII will be the right one for you. As ive said, most people i know that own MB heads dont really use the EQ much and so maybe you could save some cash by not getting the SA450. the two tone filters are very good.

If you are ever down in London at the weekend and you want to try the UL115 give me a shout. Its the only cab i have access to away from gigs as i dont drive so leave my gear with my drummers. I also gig quite a bit in the Oxford area but these are mainly wedding so it might be difficult to meet up.
In fact if you wanted to buy it ill let it go for a bit less than £350 ;-)

Edited by dave_bass5

[quote name='dave_bass5' post='126301' date='Jan 23 2008, 05:18 PM']No problem.
I think the LMII will be the right one for you. As ive said, most people i know that own MB heads dont really use the EQ much and so maybe you could save some cash by not getting the SA450. the two tone filters are very good.

If you are ever down in London at the weekend and you want to try the UL115 give me a shout. Its the only cab i have access to away from gigs as i dont drive so leave my gear with my drummers. I also gig quite a bit in the Oxford area but these are mainly wedding so it might be difficult to meet up.
In fact if you wanted to buy it ill let it go for a bit less than £350 ;-)[/quote]

Humm, yeh il definatly bear that in mind my friend. I actually live in London but at uni in Oxford so i travel to and from whenever i can/want realy.
What i tell you what, il try out my friends unc's cab, Sell the rest of my gear when/if i can, get the head and then get back to you with that offer if its still up when i get to that stage :)
How does that sound sir?

cheers
mike

[quote name='the_house123' post='126308' date='Jan 23 2008, 05:24 PM']Humm, yeh il definatly bear that in mind my friend. I actually live in London but at uni in Oxford so i travel to and from whenever i can/want realy.
What i tell you what, il try out my friends unc's cab, Sell the rest of my gear when/if i can, get the head and then get back to you with that offer if its still up when i get to that stage :)
How does that sound sir?

cheers
mike[/quote]

Yeah, no problem.
Like i said im not really pushing to sell the cab but if anyone did want it it is for sale.
Even if you just wanted to try it to see how it sounds your welcome to.

Off to a gig now. Have a good evening.

Going off on a bit of a tangent here, but st3-me/ste-m3 - you know who I mean, has a Hartke Pro series 2 x 12 up for grabs for the measly sum of £245.

I'd be very tempted, as a first effort to try a different cab with the HA3500.

Benefits
It's a 4Ohm cab. That's the full 350Watts from your Hartke head into
It might pair up better with your Hartke head
2 drivers, one of which is angled, which means better projection

If it doesn;t work out, I don't think you'll lose any money selling the Hartke & cab as an entire rig.