Why become a member? ×

Cabs to replace an 8x10

cocco

Hey all, I want to down size my current Ampeg SVT-4 pro and 8x10 rig. I think I'm sold on the Genz Benz shuttle 9.0 or max12.0 head but the question turns to cabs to replace old faithful. I've looked at GB and Bergantino cabs but I don't really know what I'm looking for in honestly. The philosophy is transparency and fullness of tone but loud enough to keep up with fender twins and AC30s. I use a sansamp BDDI for a touch of drive, otherwise I'm dry effects wise.

From an amp perspective (yeah, I know you said you were sold on the Genz, but...) have you tried a TC RH or Classic? I only ask because I was using a Sansamp for some Ampeg-y drive with my LMIII, but I tried the TC stuff and found I could get it all without the pedal. Sold the Sansamp, sold the LMIII, RH450 does it all. For me, of course.

Cab-wise, my Schroeder 1515L keeps up (actually it'll comfortably overtake them, too) with a loud drummer and two guitards and as well as being very, very loud is really, really small and light, but they may be an acquired taste: it works for me, though. Worth mentioning I used to have an SVT and 810, too - back in the days when I could lift 'em...

If you can, I'd recommend a visit to Mark at Bass Direct - he has all the heads in stock so you can A-B (and C- and D-) them, and lots of cab options. And he's a thoroughly nice bloke, though you'll need a will of iron not to spend a fortune on lovely, lovely stuff... :)

I've looked at TC I'm just a bit worried it won't be loud enough being fairly low wattage compared to the GB. I havnt played if yet though. I went to BD a week ago and played the GB and a GK head through bergantino cabs with a Dingwall. It was this visit that made me want to completely rethink my rig. I will miss the Ampeg but I don't think my back will. I think I need to go back up to warwick.

indeed! mark is a bastard. I dont think he'll ever get me away from my SB and T-40 but I'd imagine he'll be selling me a Dingwall and a new head in the very near future.

Also cheers Alex, I look forward to reading it.

Edited by cocco

I'm also looking at trying a Dingwall soon & if I take the plunge I might have to shift my Markbass Classic 610 .. :)
Also travel to Cardiff every few months so could always bring it with me were you interested .. no probs either way.

cheers

Si

Hi Ash,

As your 8x10" isn't giving you the depth of bottom you crave I think you'd be best served by one of our Big Series cabs, either a Big Baby + Baby Sub, or a Big Twin. Performance is very similar, just whether you have two smaller boxes or one larger one, which is personal choice. When you're not full-on rocking out a Big Baby on its own will be loud enough. Although your SVT4 is a bit of a beast it does make up for it in the amount of power it can produce - none of the class D micro-amps will match up - now that power isn't much use with your 8x10" because you don't need the power except in the lows but down there it can't handle the power. However with a Big Series cab you will be able to make full use of that power.

Alternatively if you want to go lighter you could look at the more powerful lightweight amps on the market - the Shuttle 9.0 is probably the smallest that'll be powerful enough, the LM800, then there's the big iAmp, the SVT7, the bigger GKs. The LH1000 is a nice alternative to the SVT4 - I prefer the tone and it has plenty of power. Or you could go for a rack preamp, a lightweight plastic rack and a class D power amp - not many rack preamps on the market anymore but they're not hard to get old of. One thing to note about the SVT4 is you might be less than thrilled with its tone at the moment but with it going through an 8x10" quite a lot of its nature is being hidden - give it a more open cab and you may love it! Then again you may not... But it's much easier on the brain (and thus ears) to change one bit at a time.

Best regards,

Alex

---

Cheers alex,

Most helpful, how big is the big twin and the others you suggested? Also what price are both options? I was expecting to be offered the twin 12 or 2 of them.

If i did go for 2 cabs would I be able to run them both from the mono bridge output? I'm itching to get my hands on new gear now :) would I loose any of the mid or top in going for either option?

Ash

---

Hi Ash,

The Big Twin is pretty much like a 6" taller version of the Big One - weight around 50lbs. Big Baby / Baby Sub are the same size as the Compact, 33lbs and 27lbs respectively. £825, £575, £450, + P&P respectively.

Yes, you'd run them all from bridged mono, daisy-chaining if you had a a BB/BS pair. Both run to about 10kHz with unusually flat response through the mids, rolling off smoothly in the upper treble. Optional tweeter to kick in above that but I very much doubt you'd need it!

Best regards,

Alex

---