Why become a member? ×

herbie Flowers jazz bass replica

wesfinn

[quote name='Truckstop' post='1177028' date='Mar 26 2011, 11:05 AM']May I ask how you make the exposed wood on the back look aged?
I'm relicing my Jazz and while I'm only going for subtle wear, there's a couple of spots where I've gone back to the wood and it sticks out like a sore thumb!

Cheers

Alex[/quote]

theres loads of things you can use. I use black liquid shoe polish on a rag, wipe it over and straight off again. Fender use a similar kind of thing i think as it looks the same.

the key with any relicing is be subtle with what you are doing as it is very easy to go too far!

[quote name='gjones' post='1176553' date='Mar 25 2011, 10:04 PM']Does it have rotosound trubass strings on it as well. I always heard they were Herbie's string of choice.[/quote]
Herbie got a load of strings when he first bought the bass. He very rarely changes the strings and so has been gradually using up his stash over the last 40 years. :) He doesn't actively seek out Trubass strings, they're just what he has to hand.

• 3 weeks later...

[quote name='Plux_the_Duck' post='1199313' date='Apr 14 2011, 12:47 PM']I'd love to see how it compares to herb's one... as his does feel like a mini DB...[/quote]

It doesn't feel like a db...just a really great Jazz bass! I'm a working musician so need my basses to be set up to play exactly as I ned them too. I'm sure if you put the action up super high and some tape wounds on it it'd be close!

The main thing about the bass is that it really nails the tone!

[quote name='wesfinn' post='1199980' date='Apr 14 2011, 09:32 PM']It doesn't feel like a db...just a really great Jazz bass! I'm a working musician so need my basses to be set up to play exactly as I ned them too. I'm sure if you put the action up super high and some tape wounds on it it'd be close!

The main thing about the bass is that it really nails the tone![/quote]

well the thing that matters is that it makes the right noise! looks fabulous!

• 2 weeks later...
Guest BassKS

hey Wes, that is truly a stunning piece of art. I want to paint and relic an alder jazz body with fiesta. these spray cans look quite intriguing. any input on that?

Thanks
Fatos

• 7 months later...

So here's a little update on this build as it's going to be updated by Wes sometime in the next month or so.

Wes has managed to put together a nice flamed maple neck with a dark brazilian board, clay dots, bone nut etc. which should be a little closer to the original spec than the current Fender '62RI.

He's also going to try and follow a little more closely the wear patterns of Herbie's original - not a slavish copy just something that looks similar and more closely matches the body.

He was also hoping to get his hands on Herbie's original bass as well to get a really good feel for the neck :)