Why become a member? ×

herbie Flowers jazz bass replica

wesfinn

I mentioned a while back i was planning on building a replica of the infamous Herbie Flowers 1959 jazz bass.

It's going to be as true to Herbie's as I can get it, down to the optional fuzz switch!! will also have touches such as the moved bridge and tape over the bridge pickup. Brazilian Rosewood board, sideways installed frets, Nitro finish, 2 ply black/white pickguard, vintage spec wiring.

Well it's getting there. heres a shot of the body with the first fiesta red coat applied over the white primer. I will start work on the neck soon.

I will be moving out of my workshop in 2 weeks and will be working from the Zoot workshop (thanks Mike) in essex until I have finished all the work i have on at the moment. So expect for sale soon the following..please PM if you are interested.

-Herbie Flowers jazz

-Blonde ash 1960 Jazz bass (the one that I started a build thread for ages ago....the body is done. Just need to finish the neck)

[quote name='wesfinn' post='1083382' date='Jan 9 2011, 06:14 PM']Yep. going to be relic'd as per Herbie's! I'm trying to set up a meeting with him through a friend so I can hopefully get some more detailed pictures and to check he is happy with me doing the bass.[/quote]

Knowing Herbie's enthusiasm, he'll be well up for it!

Looks like this is going to be loaded with a fair amount of early 60s original hardware too now. Tuners, Bridge, thumbrest, string tree, strap buttons, screws etc. Going to use Suhr vintage wound pups which are the best Ive ever heard.

Going to be a beast of a bass!

Wes

I am really looking forward to seeing more pics. I was never aware of herbie flowers' bass before and seen some pics... If I could guarantee how much money I was earning for the next year I'd be messaging you right now but alas the world of freelancer has not been too kind at the mo

So heres a couple of updated shots with the Lake placid blue on. Its a very close match to how Herbies would of been new. when relic'd I have a few tricks that should oxidize the right parts to darken it off. This oxidization occurred on his bass as there is no clear coat over the metallic finish, this is also why there is no weather checking on his bass.

EDIT - the first pic shows the initial coat...and the second pic is after 3 coats of LPB

Edited by wesfinn

• 3 weeks later...

I've been experimenting with the oxidising...but to no avail. I guess its just one of those things that only time can recreate. The paint back then would have probably had a much higher metal content too which would mean it reacts differently. I ended up having to lightly clear coat this bass too as the metaillic nitro paints made nowadays tend to shed the colour fairly easily if left uncoated...meaning whoever played it would probably look like a smurf after a sweaty gig.

No...matching headstock on a bass that early..why, that's like putting a matching headstock on a Pbass....its just agains the laws of nature, or like getting well paid for a pub gig. Just doesn't happen.

Looks good Wes - was the small amount of white primer showing through a deliberate thing, or just how it happened? I think the red blue and white thing on the original is one of its more appealing features..however unintentional and random it is.