Why become a member? ×

Dee Dee Ramone's Precision Bass

WHUFC BASS

[quote name='daz' post='1087084' date='Jan 12 2011, 07:23 PM']Thats a good idea, hope he has a sensible reserve on it. Let us all know when its up for auction.

Can you ask him if he went to the Electric Ballrom gig i mentioned and if he remembers it? (The Ramones / The Boys / Ten Pole Tudor)[/quote]

As mentioned, the gig where he got the actual bass was The Roundhouse in Camden. I do know that he went to the Electric Ballroom a fair bit in the late 70s - early 80s. Here was there when the notorious riot took place at The Cockney Rejects gig.

• 5 months later...

He seemed like a nice bloke and came across very well.

He turned down 3 k on the programme

Just as well...it went for 16k USD at auction

[url="http://www.guitarsquid.com/Latest/townshend-guitar-sells-for-50k.html"]http://www.guitarsquid.com/Latest/townshen...ls-for-50k.html[/url]

[quote name='daz' post='1084089' date='Jan 10 2011, 05:09 AM']unless he always bought the same white P bass ?maybe he did.[/quote]
In an article he once said he gets about 6 months out of a bass and then just dumps it and gets a new one. He also used to sell his ass for heroin money. I'm not sure I'd want to play one of his old basses. :)

[quote name='Vibrating G String' post='1280631' date='Jun 24 2011, 10:26 AM']In an article he once said he gets about 6 months out of a bass and then just dumps it and gets a new one. He also used to sell his ass for heroin money. I'm not sure I'd want to play one of his old basses. :)[/quote]

So he sold his arse and took smack. Big deal! Id have his bass in a flash if I had the bread.

One puzzling thing though. He now says he got it not from the Roundhouse in Camden but from The Venue, Victoria, London, (19th November 1981) I never went there but remember seeing London gigs there advertized in the NME and Sounds. Which one was it ? (see Christies link below)

[url="http://www.christies.com/LotFinder/lot_details.aspx?from=salesummary&intObjectID=5447434&sid=06a03bc6-0821-4a87-b236-a38f88151da8"]Christies auction link[/url]

Edited by daz

[quote name='Marky L' post='1287294' date='Jun 30 2011, 08:33 AM']This is where memory fails me, but wasn't John Lydon's brother part of The Bollock Brothers?[/quote]

Yep, Jimmy Lydon was in, [b]The 4 be 2's [/b]and then [b]The Bollock brothers[/b]. The records often had "produced by J lydon " on them but this was a cheap cop out as it was Jimmy not John, who was only involved in one recording.

[quote name='Musicman20' post='1287346' date='Jun 30 2011, 09:35 AM']I watched the Four Rooms with this on. I cant believe the offers they made, some of them wouldnt even cover a normal vintage bass, never mind Dee Dee's!

They clearly were trying to rip him off or knew nothing about the vintage market/rock n roll heritage.[/quote]

That first 'expert' offered him £500! He didnt even know that a new one would cost £1200 on the high street, never mind a vintage one, never mind one with Ramones provenance. What a bunch of dorks. Glad the seller guy had done his homework and didnt even remotely look tempted.

Did you see those idiot twins though, trying to flog two signed pics of themselves taken by Damian hirst for £10,000!! what a pair of spanners. Like the bird said they are trying to get 10G for a photo that had been autographed by Hirst. They seemed to be under the missaprehension that it was one of his art works or something.

Edited by daz

[quote name='daz' post='1287504' date='Jun 30 2011, 11:42 AM']Did you see those idiot twins though, trying to flog two signed pics of themselves taken by Damian hirst for £10,000!! what a pair of spanners. Like the bird said they are trying to get 10G for a photo that had been autographed by Hirst. They seemed to be under the missaprehension that it was one of his art works or something.[/quote]

Haha, COULDN'T believe those two!

I got them to sign my denim jacket at a record shop in Nottingham, before the Rock City gig in 1986. I also managed to grab a plectrum Johnny lobbed into the crowd after using it to play Warthog, and a signed photo from the Manchester gig the night before. I waited in vain for Dee Dee to hand over his Precision, but alas that never happened. Edited by Rayman

[quote name='Rayman' post='1289291' date='Jul 1 2011, 05:06 PM']

I got them to sign my denim jacket at a record shop in Nottingham, before the Rock City gig in 1986. I also managed to grab a plectrum Johnny lobbed into the crowd after using it to play Warthog, and a signed photo from the Manchester gig the night before. I waited in vain for Dee Dee to hand over his Precision, but alas that never happened.[/quote]Now that is cool.
Excellent.