Why become a member? ×

*** TRADED - Overwater Progress III Custom Deluxe 6 string, as new - TRADED ***

kevthebass

The bass is a one-off Overwater Progress Three Custom Deluxe six string bass. It was delivered in April last year (2009) and is almost unplayed - it is entirely as new - indeed, apart from a professional set up with Overwater, it is as it left the workshop. I can't emphasise just how gorgeous this bass is.

Just a few features:

(Surprisingly) Lightweight central American mahogany body
Burl poplar facings (with black accent)
Maple and purpleheart neck
Birds-eye maple fingerboard
Pickup covers in burl poplar
Kent Armstrong (designed for Overwater) pickups
Overwater 3 band EQ
Abalone dots
Abalone logo inlay
Burl poplar facing on head

The bass plays beautifully and sounds superb - Overwaters are the choice of a lot of UK session players (they're so playable and versatile). This one really looks a bit special and comes in a Hiscox liteflite case. Original price was just over £2650 (now it would be £2790 apparently). Next sentence edited _ it's not the same bass as the one on the Overwater site - Very similar though.

it's a 35" scale bass, with a long upper horn and bridge very near the edge of the body --> not much of a reach at all!
Neck dimensions:
width @ nut: 59 mm
width @ 12th fret: 85 mm
depth @ 1st fret 23 mm
depth @ 12th fret 23,5

As I am not playing the jazz gigs that justified owning this beautiful instrument anymore, I am now looking for a straight trade or a trade UP (ie I pay some cash) for the following instruments (5 Strings only)

Xotic
USA Sadowsky
Aleva Coppola
Fodera
Bossa
Skjold
F bass
Dingwall
Roscoe

Other exotic basses along these lines - PM's only - Don't really want a public discussion of "Great bass - If only I had the money etc" sorry.

No lower value basses, 4's or 6's considered - Loads more pics available on request. Thanks for looking, bass dudes ....

Edited by kevthebass

[quote name='kevthebass' post='1081954' date='Jan 8 2011, 11:45 AM']The bass is a one-off Overwater Progress Three Custom Deluxe. It was delivered in April last year (2009) and is almost unplayed - it is entirely as new - indeed, apart from a professional set up with Overwater, it is as it left the workshop - it even smells new. I can't emphasise just how gorgeous this bass is.

Just a few features:

(Surprisingly) Lightweight central American mahogany body
Burl poplar facings (with black accent)
Maple and purpleheart neck
Birds-eye maple fingerboard
Pickup covers in burl poplar
Kent Armstrong (designed for Overwater) pickups
Overwater 3 band EQ
Abalone dots
Abalone logo inlay
Burl poplar facing on head

The bass plays beautifully and sounds superb - Overwaters are the choice of a lot of UK session players (they're so playable and versatile). This one really looks a bit special and comes in a Hiscox liteflite case. Original price was just over £2650 (now it would be £2790. It is on the Overwater web site under custom builds if you want to see some more pics.

it's a 35" scale bass, with a long upper horn and bridge very near the edge of the body --> not much of a reach at all!
Neck dimensions:
width @ nut: 59 mm
width @ 12th fret: 85 mm
depth @ 1st fret 23 mm
depth @ 12th fret 23,5

As I am not playing the jazz gigs that justified owning this beautiful instrument anymore, I am now looking for a straight trade or a trade UP (ie I pay some cash) for the following instruments (5 Strings only)

Exotic
USA Sadowsky
Aleva Coppola
Fodera
Skjold
F bass
Dingwall
Roscoe

Other exotic basses along these lines - PM's only - Don't really want a public discussion of "Great bass - If only I had the money etc" sorry.

No lower value basses, 4's or 6's considered - Loads more pics available on request.[/quote]

lovely bass mate i bet it sounds cush,good luck anyway

The bass in the Overwater Custom(s) is a different but very similar bass (have look at the fretboard-end). Pretty sure this must be 'welnek' s old bass which was listed (but didn't sell) here last year. The bass was modelled on the one featured in the Overwater Custom Gallery :-
[url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=85138&hl="]http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=85138&hl=[/url]
[url="http://www.overwaterbasses.com/gallery.htm"]http://www.overwaterbasses.com/gallery.htm[/url]
IIRC it eventually sold on ebay for c.£1k, which must have been the bargain of the year for somebody looking-for a Custom-6 (Overwater or other) !!

Edited by eubassix

[quote name='eubassix' post='1082006' date='Jan 8 2011, 12:35 PM']The bass in the Overwater Custom(s) is a different but very similar bass (have look at the fretboard-end). Pretty sure this must be 'welnek' s old bass which was listed (but didn't sell) here last year. The bass was modelled on the one featured in the Overwater Custom Gallery :-
[url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=85138&hl="]http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=85138&hl=[/url]
[url="http://www.overwaterbasses.com/gallery.htm"]http://www.overwaterbasses.com/gallery.htm[/url]
IIRC it eventually sold on ebay for c.£1k, which must have been the bargain of the year for somebody looking-for a Custom-6 (Overwater or other) !![/quote]

if you look at the pics of welneks listing and this bass from the OP there are clearly not the same - so I cant see how your post is helping or otherwise to the trade the OP is looking to make.

Please keep it on track and accurate as per the posting rules for this forum .

[quote name='The Burpster' post='1082719' date='Jan 8 2011, 11:08 PM']if you look at the pics of welneks listing and this bass from the OP there are clearly not the same - so I cant see how your post is helping or otherwise to the trade the OP is looking to make.
Please keep it on track and accurate as per the posting rules for this forum .[/quote]

The seller initally stated that it was the bass from the OW Custom Gallery - it isn't.
welnek made the same error when he listed the bass last year - I know, because I talked with him (and Chris May & Laurence B.) about the bass.
the specs and build date (April '09) of the two basses are identical.
.. not sure how this is off-track / inaccurate (?) ... just trying to clarify that this isn't the bass from the OW site and to provide some 'provenance' on the instrument.
I'm certain is IS welnek's: if it isn't then the OP should know. If it is, then interested BC'ers could also PM welnek if they have Q's re. the bass. I'm sure it wasn't intended, but the wording of the OP reads, to me, as if the seller is the original owner.

[quote name='eubassix' post='1083017' date='Jan 9 2011, 11:43 AM']I'm certain is IS welnek's: if it isn't then the OP should know. If it is, then interested BC'ers could also PM welnek if they have Q's re. the bass. I'm sure it wasn't intended, but the wording of the OP reads, to me, as if the seller is the original owner.[/quote]

Welnek's has a flat end on the fretboard, this one doesn't, also the grain's very different (most noticably a knot going over the neck pup on this that isn't present on Welnek's).

They're pretty obviously NOT the same bass. :)

[quote name='ThomBassmonkey' post='1083025' date='Jan 9 2011, 11:55 AM']Welnek's has a flat end on the fretboard, this one doesn't, also the grain's very different (most noticably a knot going over the neck pup on this that isn't present on Welnek's).
They're pretty obviously NOT the same bass. :)[/quote]

Hi Thom: sorry, this is becoming a bit confusing (understandably).
The bass featured in the OW Gallery and this bass are different.
But ... welnek made the same error when listing the bass last year. He modelled his bass on the one featured in the OW-Gallery, but forgot that he had opted for the curved/extended f/board-end. He then used the OW/Gallery photos on his BC listing.
I'm sure this can be confirmed by welnek, Overwater and kevTB.

Edited by eubassix

Unfortunately, this type of sidetrack is exactly what I didn't want to happen on my thread - I put an item up for trade - It's a gorgeous, one off custom build six string from one of the worlds pre-eminent builders in absolutely pristine condition and I need to exchange it for a 5 string due to the nature of the work I am getting at the moment.

My thread has now been disturbed, if not hijacked and may have jeapordised my chances of getting the deal I want for the bass.

It's a shame and it's not something I would do myself but it is the nature of advertising on a public internet forum.

Thanks to all the genuine, discrete PMs I have received so far on the bass.

KTB

I hope that I can offer a definitive answer here and end the discussion (in order that the seller can get back to trading the instrument). This IS the bass that belonged to Welnek. I purchased it from him. I had some work undertaken by Ged Green and then decided some months later that the bass didn't really suit me (I was moving to smaller necks). I traded it (in a 'plus cash' deal) for a Spector and the bass spent a brief period in Finland. I can confirm that when I had the bass, it played absolutely beautifully (following a very good set-up), sounded like an Overwater - very versatile - and was a visually stunning instrument to have around.

Thanks guys

The main thing is that I have had a load of correspondence with some really nice, genuine bass enthusiasts on here and now have several options that all satisfy my original requirement for a trade.

So, unless I get something amazing offered in the next day or so, the deal should be done pretty soon, as I would have expected for such a beautiful Overwater.

KTB