Why become a member? ×
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Budget 5 string

markytbass

I'm looking for a budget 5 string, not too fussed how it sounds as strings, P'ups etc can be replaced. I'm more interested in construction and quality. The only one I've played so far is a OLP MM3 and rated it quite highly for the money. Others I've seen on the net and Ebay are Peavy, Squier, ESP LTD, Ibanez. There are some others on Ebay for less than £100 but as people say "you get what you pay for" and it would probably go straight out of the box onto the fire (I've got a real fire for it to go on). Oh yea, not too fussed what it looks like either. So does anyone own one, any comments welcome.

Thanks,
Marky.

Edited by markytbass

[url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=11397"]http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=11397[/url]

Full story in that thread.

I am pretty sure if you order on a weekend or a Monday, there is a good chance you will have it by the Friday. The bass I ordered was $110. Shipping and surcharge at the Rondo was $78. So the bass cost $188. I had to pay about £28 inport duty on it. All in all the thing cost me £130, plus another £20 for a tort scratchplate.

There are some stories about the quality control being a problem and apparently it is possible to get a bad one. I don't think Rondo refund exported basses so I guess there is some small risk. However I'm totally chuffed with mine, and a good many others seem to be too.

Ordering is simple, just a regular online form. And Kurt answered a couple of my emails quite promptly.

I have nothing but good things to say about the whole thing. Try TB as well if you want some other opinions. You will find a few moans on there about SX which might be worth reading before you decide.

Paul.

I picked up a Mazetti 5 string new from Ebay for £120. Neck through, 35" scale. Solid woods all round. I cannot say enough good things about them.
I also picked up a Korean MTD here for £150. Nice wide spacing, lighter than a light thing 35" scale. Huge cavity, but passive vol and tone - ripe for the upgrade. I dropped an Audere pre into mine. Really nice bass but zero resale value - which is great if you are going 2nd hand (they were £500 new).

[quote name='King Tut' post='123905' date='Jan 20 2008, 03:59 PM']Marky -I've got a perfect condition MM3 you can have for £100 if you can pick it up from Milton Keynes - it's a natural elm one - looks and sounds great![/quote]

Is that a flame natural? If it is and OP doesn't want it, then I'll have it (want the flame top :))

[quote name='Jamesemt' post='124665' date='Jan 21 2008, 03:11 PM']Is that a flame natural? If it is and OP doesn't want it, then I'll have it (want the flame top :))[/quote]

Sorry dude - it's the solid elm version - the older type - not a flame top. Still a looker though!

Thanks for the offers Nick,KT. I'm in the process of hinting to the missus that another bass might turn up. She thought that buying me a Stingray would cure my GAS forever. If I knew that I could get along with a 5 string I could sell/chop in the Stingray and get one. Playing one in a shop is one thing, (yea you can see what they sound like and the build quality etc) but playing one in a rehearsal or live can be another. Unfortunatly all the bass players I know use a 4 so I can't even borrow one. Thats why I'm going to get a budget 5 to start with.

At the mo I tune to D as it's easier for the singer, but I want to be able to go lower and still have the highs of a 4 string.

If you can stretch your budget just a little bit, the Yamaha BB-415 is a great example of a bass. Looks great and has a wealth of sounds in its pickup configuration. This will always be my recommendation for either buying a bass on a budget, or as a first bass.

[url="http://www.guitarampkeyboard.com/en/yamaha-bb-415/68980"]http://www.guitarampkeyboard.com/en/yamaha-bb-415/68980[/url]