Why become a member? ×

I think my amp needs checking over

Prime_BASS

I pickup up my bass to my daily niggle to some tunes, as I do every day. Only today the rug was making terrible farting noises when any of the strings where plucked really hard, but not when slapping or popping.

The fart noise is similar to clipping noise it makes, but the amps clip light wasn't coming on(I'd not changed it since I last used yesterday) I turned it down some notches anyway, and the noise was still there.

I reset all the setting on my bass and amp, too work back up to get the input gain right, still farts.
I shifted the preamp nob to SS and Tube, it did it on both.

After a process of ilimination it's either my lead, or the amp head.

If it turns out it is the amp, how the hell did this happen, I used it not 2 days ago quite loud an it was fine then, my only guess is something during the input or output stage has fried.

It's a Markbass LMTube500, I know Fuzz in Nottingham sell MB gear but other than them I dont know where to go?

Thanks

[quote name='Prime_BASS' post='1080857' date='Jan 7 2011, 11:15 AM']I pickup up my bass to my daily niggle to some tunes, as I do every day. Only today the rug was making terrible farting noises when any of the strings where plucked really hard, but not when slapping or popping.

The fart noise is similar to clipping noise it makes, but the amps clip light wasn't coming on(I'd not changed it since I last used yesterday) I turned it down some notches anyway, and the noise was still there.

I reset all the setting on my bass and amp, too work back up to get the input gain right, still farts.
I shifted the preamp nob to SS and Tube, it did it on both.

After a process of ilimination it's either my lead, or the amp head.

If it turns out it is the amp, how the hell did this happen, I used it not 2 days ago quite loud an it was fine then, my only guess is something during the input or output stage has fried.

It's a Markbass LMTube500, I know Fuzz in Nottingham sell MB gear but other than them I dont know where to go?[/quote]

A few things to check:
Are you using an active bass with a dead (or almost dead) battery?
Have you replaced guitar and amp<>cab leads?

If it's not any of those then I'd hazard a guess that you have a dead preamp valve in your Markbass LMTube 500.

Edited by icastle

[quote name='icastle' post='1081157' date='Jan 7 2011, 02:56 PM']A few things to check:
Are you using an active bass with a dead (or almost dead) battery?
Have you replaced guitar and amp<>cab leads?

If it's not any of those then I'd hazard a guess that you have a dead preamp valve in your Markbass LMTube 500.[/quote]

Yeah ive checked everything else.
I dont know about the valve going, it was only made march 2010, and preamp valves tend to last longer than 9 months, and the fact the farting happens when it's in solid state mode aswell makes me think it's not that.
I'll check the battery in my bass but that's been in there for just over a month. But it also happened with a passive baritone guitar (all though not as much)

It seemed fine today however, im still going to get it checked.
If it turns out it's dud, I'll be buying a F500 or GB shuttle 9.0

Such a shame I really love the sound of this amp.