Why become a member? ×

Dead strings?

Phil-osopher10

Yep, agree with that, all down to the individual.

Whereas Mogs are usually dead after 4/5 shows, to his preference, mine to me are settling down at this point, and I`ve usually got another 6 months on them. And, as I Fast Fret them once a week, sometimes they last longer than that.

Definately not as zingy, but much more cost effective. Luckily I like the sound of strings like that.

[quote name='Phil-osopher10' post='1080673' date='Jan 7 2011, 01:38 AM']How do you tell if your strings are dead?[/quote]
They're not dead, they're just pining for the fjords (sorry, Python's law strikes again)

...but seriously, it does all depend on your personal preference and playing style. Years ago, before the days of internet shopping, all I could get were Ernie Ball Slinkies and these had a definite life-span to them: for the first few days they would be very bright and metallic, too much so to be honest, then they would settle down for a while before becoming dull and lifeless. I've found Rotosound stainless steels to have a similar character but now I use DR Extra Life strings which seem to be more consistent, ie they don't start off super bright and end up lifeless after a few months. I suppose, for me, the definition of my strings being dead is when I pick up the bass and think "Ughhh that sounds horrible", which can vary from string to string. In my experience I'd say that GHS Boomers and Rotosound Swing Bass 66 get to this point quicker than most, Ernie Ball and Elites (Player) are about average while DR Extra Life do what they say on the tin and last longer.

Ahh cause I was watching a youtube video of some guy and a fender rumble and the comments said the strings were dead. I was unsure how to tell, then again I had an Ibanez GSR200 for 5-6 years and those were the same strings. Maybe I'm deaf. I have a Warwick 5'er and would like to treat her better with a little TLC and I''m thinking she might like a nise set of DR's? I've read some stuff that say they are good on here.

Yep the DR's are a fine string. Not a bright as I like but the do have more life than most IME. You could give Warwick Black Label a try also, very nice string. I've compromised lately and switched from Prosteels to nickle D'Addario's not as bright but theres an extra 3-4 hours in them. As Lozz196 said a wipe with Fast Fret can do wonders. I use surgical swabs on my strings after a show to get rid of grime/sweat/human tissue.

My hi beams have a fairly gradual reduction in brightness, they tend to last me a few months before they require boiling or replacing. Just boiled them the other day in fact for the first time and it has brought them back to sounding almost like new, which is fantastic news considering how much they cost!

As Mog says, it depends on a few things as to how 'dead' your strings are. Personal preference is one, and I certainly don't like the sound of my strings until they've had a few good gigs. They need time to settle down for me, I hate the zingyness that Mog loves!

Part of the reason I use DR Sunbeams, as they are a mellow sounding nickel string.

I can usually tell if my strings are going dead, as the low end tends to lose definition when amped up. Less tight and more boomy. This is probably due to the strings not ringing out like they should so I'm actually losing mids and tops. They also visually corrode, you can (sometimes) see them discolouring if you leave them on too long.

It is hard sometimes, as it can be a very gradual process, and if you're picking up the bass every day and have longer lasting strings (like DR's) it can suddenly dawn on you one day that you should have changed them last month. That's what happens with me anyway.

I find myself tweaking the EQ on my amp much more when the strings are going dead.