Why become a member? ×

75 RI USA Fender Jazz - Can you tell me about them?

xilddx

I had one..The US model...

Fit and Finish..

well made... Was heavy, but this can vary..Bit of an uneven gap in the neck pocket....High gloss everywhere... I didnt like it on the neck at the time..(for feel)..some do... IMO the high gloss (especially on the fretboard) tends to deflect tone unlike a porous unfinished wood...giving it a very fast attack... nowt wrong with that..

Fret work was good... Overall VERY solid bass... Weight was too much for me..think it was close to 11 +....... Still would of liked a bit more finess on a bass of that price..it felt as if it had been rushed...But as we all know things can vary on Fenders..

Sound

Loud! very high output.. LOTS of mids..Classic ash/maple jazz single coil sound....Cut through like a mother.. I used to play everything on it.....Can imagine the rosewood would suite me better..

Playability

Very good.. The neck was the best thing about the bass..Better thatm my ole CS 1970...Could get the action very low...Its just the weight that put me off a little

Overall..great bass...Workhorse bass, that looks the biz.. ..The Custom Shop wiped the floor with it, but the price tag says that... stupidly I bought mine unplayed, so as always try before you buy..

I wouldnt get another US model....MIJ all the way...Just as good half the price...IMHO.. :)

Edited by bubinga5

I can't speak for the 75 RI, but I had quality problems with my imported Deluxe QMT 5-string. Poor neck pocket, ill fitting rear control cover, screw missing from one tuner, pickups too low and couldn't be raised (had to take out and pack beneath). I can say that in comparison the Crafted in Japan ones are perfect. I bought two and they had US pickups and hardware, but fit and finish was spot on. You should try get a CIJ one.

I had one for a while and really liked it. Fit & finish was good, super slim neck, good weight (I seem to remember it being very light but it was a while ago now, it certainly wasn't heavy).

Probably a better all round 'gigging' bass than my original '78 Fender J.

Made me completely re-think my attitude towards Fender reissues to be honest.

I'm really happy with mine. It's a "one bass does all" kind of instrument. It's nicely made, sounds great and looks good. I haven't noticed it as particularly heavy and love the neck. The action is better than any other Jazz I've had and it can growl like a dog if needed. I'd happily recommend one.

[quote name='mrtcat' post='1078288' date='Jan 5 2011, 09:49 AM']I'm really happy with mine. It's a "one bass does all" kind of instrument. It's nicely made, sounds great and looks good. I haven't noticed it as particularly heavy and love the neck. The action is better than any other Jazz I've had and it can growl like a dog if needed. I'd happily recommend one.[/quote]
Sounds ace! Sounds like my Warwick that I'm swapping it for actually :)

[quote name='molan' post='1078508' date='Jan 5 2011, 01:05 PM']That's Ok then - I always associate you with the white one so would have been dissapointed if that was to go, lol[/quote]
That's sweet mate :)

I associate you with about thirty top end basses in all sorts of livery :)

They are excellent all round. High quality construction and finish and a great sound. Mine has the rosewood board which seems to be much more rare than maple.

The best thing about them though is the neck. I think it might just be the best feeling and playing neck I've ever played.

They're probably over-priced compared to a US standard jazz. I wanted a 70s jazz for the funky, burpy neck pickup sound and I was seduced by the looks.

I think you'll love it.

Frank.

[quote name='machinehead' post='1079359' date='Jan 5 2011, 11:55 PM']They are excellent all round. High quality construction and finish and a great sound. Mine has the rosewood board which seems to be much more rare than maple.

The best thing about them though is the neck. I think it might just be the best feeling and playing neck I've ever played.

They're probably over-priced compared to a US standard jazz. I wanted a 70s jazz for the funky, burpy neck pickup sound and I was seduced by the looks.

I think you'll love it.

Frank.[/quote]
Sadly, I won't be getting one now as I couldn't bear to part with my Warwick that was part of the trade.

I will have to stick with looking for an MIJ Power Jazz and pay for it.

Thanks so much for that info though. I really appreciate it!