Why become a member? ×

Active P Bass pickup

Dom in Dorset

[quote name='Dom in Somerset' post='1072700' date='Dec 30 2010, 01:38 PM'][url="http://www.bonnersmusic.co.uk/buy/EMG/P_Active_P.Bass_Pickup"]http://www.bonnersmusic.co.uk/buy/EMG/P_Active_P.Bass_Pickup[/url][/quote]

Had EMG P pups in many of my basses; some folks love them, just as many hate them but they are/were common upgrades on many basses inc' the good old Fender P bass.

I'll add to the list of active EMG fans! I've used the P (soapbar casing) pups in my basses and I really like them! I'm a big fan of the non-exposed pole piece covers too. Great for digging in without the string clicking against the poles.

[quote name='Dom in Somerset' post='1074740' date='Jan 1 2011, 08:40 PM']I've noticed in the technical data that it says that they recommend two nine volt batteries, are they battery hungry, do they last? Or is one battery ok, two overkill?
I've got them in mind for another twin neck and it could be a costly beast to keep on the road![/quote]

I only use one, and hardly ever have to change it. Two would be overkill IMO

The batteries last for AGES! So long as you don't leave it plugged in all day every day (don't worry about unplugging it between sets etc. as that is fine), then a battery will last from one year to the next. My basses get fitted with new batteries every Christmas and the batteries I take out get used in tuners etc and they've always got loads of juice left in them. On occasion I've had a battery in a gigging bass for a couple years (missed the battery change one Christmas in my main gigging bass).

Edited by warwickhunt

[quote name='warwickhunt' post='1074859' date='Jan 1 2011, 10:56 PM']The batteries last for AGES! So long as you don't leave it plugged in all day every day (don't worry about unplugging it between sets etc. as that is fine), then a battery will last from one year to the next. My basses get fitted with new batteries every Christmas and the batteries I take out get used in tuners etc and they've always got loads of juice left in them. On occasion I've had a bass in a gigging bass for a couple years (missed the battery change one Christmas in my main gigging bass).[/quote]That's a cracking idea. I normally just lick my old batteries when I'm bored.

[quote name='Dom in Somerset' post='1074740' date='Jan 1 2011, 09:40 PM']I've noticed in the technical data that it says that they recommend two nine volt batteries, are they battery hungry, do they last? Or is one battery ok, two overkill?
I've got them in mind for another twin neck and it could be a costly beast to keep on the road![/quote]

The recommendation is to run them at 18v, which would require two batteries. This is supposed to [insert marketing mumbo jumbo]. I run both my EMG basses at 18v. They both have two EMG pickups and an EMG preamp in them. My main bass had fresh batteries in summer 2009 and is going strong now. I would not say that EMGs eat batteries!