Why become a member? ×

Stingray 4 H vs HH

Musicman20

Has anyone played a H vs a HH back to back?

Can they comment on ther tone...eg can you still get the exact single H tone?

My Ray is delayed and I may opt for a HH instead of H...so just looking for opinions.

The disadvantages I can see are:

It looks a little strange....at first
Less room
Cavity in the back covered by a plate

Cheers

You had me at "Less room" I dont mind the look but I love to get my whole hand in behind the strings like a stupid hamfisted get! Its all part of the Ray for me having all that room, Whenever I slap or use a pick on anything else I think if only that pup wasnt there!
Are you having a white pup cover on it too? Mate its going to look Fooking killer if you can wait! How long is the delay?

I had a chance to A/B the basses with a friend who owned both when the HH was a relatively new thing (he's since converted to Warwick). I didn't find that playability was compromised by the new pickup but it did offer more tones and the classic single humbucker tone was on tap too. The issue really was that the bridge pickup is already in the "sweet spot" and produced such a good sound that I'd have struggled to find a use for the neck pickup! Horses for courses though, as they were both good basses (and admittedly, not quite as good as the Streamers he has now!).

yep its horses for courses - but, for me, the HH extra pup isnt in the way at all & the charactistic sound is there throughout. You can tell its a ray no matter what. TBH I don't muck about with different pup settings anyhow - just found the one I liked best (the two mid coils sound ace!) & stuck with it ever since :-) I've tried against a single H and cant tell the difference with the HH bridge pup soled.

Cheers chaps. Well, if I get single H you can have the white pup cover as well (just a few quid for the spare white one), but with the HH they dont allow pup cover changes as the pup covers are different.

The HH looks decent, and a HS is probably redundant as I have the Ray 5 HS.

So, at the moment im in two minds. Extra tone (not sure id use a neck H....never experienced it) or stick with classic H...(even though I have a 2 band H already....but they DO sound quite different).

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' post='1071854' date='Dec 29 2010, 03:53 PM']I just think white with white pg, pup cover and headstock is going to be the coolest looking ray ever! I would wait MM20, how long would the wait be?[/quote]

Ah, not long. Well, could be 3 months I guess but Im busy moving house for a month or so anyway, and I might be quitting my job and finding something new asap, so thats going to be a busy time anyway.

The HH isnt in stock neither....just realised, so basically its 'should I get an extra H or stick with it oldschool'. To be fair, the Big Als and the other basses have tons of versatility, so maybe a single H is the way to go just to have a nice pick up n play/no messing bass. I think I was just thinking id have to wait anyway, so should I jhave the extra tonal options.

The White headstock looks STUNNING....Ive seen what they do and its much better than what I imagined and a big leap from the Lakland/Fender matching headstocks.

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' post='1071876' date='Dec 29 2010, 04:07 PM']When are all those new EBMM's due? You wont know what to play first but something tells me the white one could become your favourite straight forward no messing Ray. I like simplicity in things and for long term value its always the standard models that become sort after rather than special versions.[/quote]

I would have had the Big Al 5 SSS a few months back but S&T didnt realise they had a single H instead of a the SSS, so its on a priority list!

Im guessing we are talking at least Feb...for most of them.

You are right, ill stick with the single H, classic Ray style and order a white pickup cover as extra.

Musicman20, make sure you have a look in Sounds Live on Dean Street if you get a chance. They've got an amazing Stingray in the window. It's very pricey at £1499 (reduced from £1699!) but it is incredible. Cream body, tortoiseshell scratchplate, figured neck and a maple fretboard, it looks fantastic. I've not played it, but it definitely caught my eye when I was passing today.

• 3 weeks later...

[quote name='Chris2112' post='1072000' date='Dec 29 2010, 07:00 PM']Musicman20, make sure you have a look in Sounds Live on Dean Street if you get a chance. They've got an amazing Stingray in the window. It's very pricey at £1499 (reduced from £1699!) but it is incredible. Cream body, tortoiseshell scratchplate, figured neck and a maple fretboard, it looks fantastic. I've not played it, but it definitely caught my eye when I was passing today.[/quote]

Just found this, thanks.

I tried a Classic and there was a weird neck heel 'jump' which seems to not be on the newer versions. They are nice but Ive got the 2 band single H sorted now.

Just STILL need to decide if going HH with the 3 EQ Ray.