Why become a member? ×
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Compressor

Jigster

The link above is very good, but I did find a lot of it very technical when I looked at it, with a fair bit way beyond me. So, my experience of using a compressor:

I decided on using one as I can be a bit heavy handed, so wanted to eliminate too many unwanted peaks in the sound/dynamics. Anyway, I`ve found that when using one, as well as preventing me from getting too boomy, it has had a noticeable on the notes I play, each being more defined. As such, I`ve actually found it easier to play now, as with the notes being so much sharper, keeping with the drums is a lot easier.

So, in my case, it has tightened up my playing, and makes each note sound like it is played with more precision and definition, making the notes punchier.

On their own, I`ve found that a compressor doesn`t seem to add much, but when playing, that`s when I`ve noticed the benefits.

cheers guys -

loz, that's my impression certainly of the pay offs of compression pedals - my thoughts about them focus mainly around the sound out on the other side, ie. from the audience - will any eq-ing from the sound guy, via a PA, negate the compressor's effectiveness?

As we only play venues with our own vocal pa, I haven`t any experience of that, so I`m not the person to ask.

I suppose it depends on if the post eq DI on yr amp includes any effects the bass is plugged in to?. If so, the compression will be there, so this should translate to whatever the soundman does.

You can't really 'negate' compression, unless you do some fairly odd stuff. The sound engineer should be happy with a nicely compressed signal, as it makes their life easier.

I do have to say that compression is an effect that you really need to understand the basic technical stuff to use right. In fact it isn't really what most people would call an effect at all unless you intentionally mess with it....

I have had similar feelings about compressors, never used one for 20 years, although have had them built into a couple of amps I’ve owned but never really got to grips with those just set them to watch over the amp. I bought an EBS dual band comp about three years ago, because I thought I should and that it would help me get a better slap funk sound as that when you need to sort the different dynamics out between a thumb and a pluck. I now use it as part of my pedal board most of the time.
Plus side
It evens out your dynamics so you sound more consistent and professional, set right your sound could change from a ping to a dummbb like a well miked bass drum. It will help deliver a good signal level into the other pedals so they perform better
Negative side
If you are constantly adjusting your bass volume you could end up messing your evening up.
It is another gain process to worry about - Bass, Compressor, amp preamp, master volume. You may sense you are running out of steam adjusting the bass and you’re not getting louder. It can affect the way you attack the song, the ability to dig in and add some attitude. Sound checks are more important at gig volumes, and with other effects that you will be using. Some pedals may need to go in front of the Compressor. Different basses will need a different setting.

I meant to add, why not borrow one for a few gigs and see, If you can get away without it great. I also have an Aphex Bass xciter, which is amazing, it gives your bass sound a kick in the ass and some top end zing without the suffocation of your signal you can get by using a Compressor wrongly.

Borrow one from your guitarist they don't need them.

I'd get a lend of one first before buying. I thought I wanted one, tried several & found that every note being the same volume meant it wasn't for me.
I do have quite a good amount of control over what my right hand is doing in regards to the dynamics & the only time I might use it is when slapping (which I don't do all that much of).

I've had a couple of nice rackmount compressors for a while but nothing I'd want to take out of the house. I jsut recently tried a whole bunch of compression pedals (basically everything I could find in NYC) and ended up with the demeter. It is so musical, the two knob design is easy to understand and the way it works is different to the other two knob models.

I think that anyone could plug this in and get it right away. The knobs are 'compress' and 'Volume' and that translates to Ratio and Gain but it doesn't matter as the effect is obvious.