Why become a member? ×

Capacitors - pickups. Should I bother?

holio.cornolio

Hello All,
I've been using a Fender CS 64 Jazz reissue for about 18 months now. It's the first Jazz Bass I've ever picked up that I actually liked the sound of, and over the past 18 months I've become unnaturally attached to it. Like all my gear, though, eventually I feel the need to scratch an itch, and although I wouldn't consider selling it, I can't overcome the feeling that I need to pimp it somehow.... I have been toying with the idea of simply upgrading the pots etc and seeing what that does, but perhaps slightly more drastically, I feel that changing pickups might make it more 'mine'. It came with Fender's standard 'vintage Jazz Bass' pickup set which sounds great to my ears, but seeing as they're from a relatively lowly point in Fenders range, I wonder if putting something slightly more tasty in might bring the bass more 'alive'. The stupid thing is, there isn't anything about the sound of this bass that I don't like, but I can't help wondering if a more expensive pickup would make it EVEN BETTER!!! Is it worth it, or am I simply being the kind of wet behind the ears, know nothing, dimwit that the 'boutique' pickup marketeers dream of about?

The slippery slope of pickups..........

I went thru trying out different pickups/bridges, trying to improve tone, only to find out that I actually prefer stock Fender pickups, though many don`t.

Plenty of people on here rate Wizard pickups, and apparently the guy there is very helpful, and will put together what you are after. Added bonus is they also aren`t excessive on price.

[quote name='holio.cornolio' post='1067620' date='Dec 23 2010, 11:27 AM']The stupid thing is, there isn't anything about the sound of this bass that I don't like,[/quote]
If there is nothing that you don't like, what could actually make it better?

I'm an inveterate tinkerer but this is normally due to something that I percieve as a shortcoming. For instance the J bass that I had some time ago I added a drop D tuner, replaced the p/ups (DiMarzio Ultra Jazzes, noiseless, warmer and punchier than the original US p/ups) and then later fitted a J Retro pre amp. Conversely I didn't change a thing on the Roscoe Beck IV signature I had (I found the neck a tad too slim for my liking but that sadly wasn't a changeable option).

So if it already sounds 'perfect' to your ears leave it well alone and save some cash.

[quote name='ezbass' post='1067693' date='Dec 23 2010, 12:30 PM']If there is nothing that you don't like, what could actually make it better?

So if it already sounds 'perfect' to your ears leave it well alone and save some cash.[/quote]
You've got a point, and currently head is winning the argument, but the fact remains, my local chippy does an excellent haddock and chips, but I still make a point of going to Rick Stein's overpriced chipper in Falmouth when I'm there. It's still fish and chips..... but it is nicer.
I'm just wondering if really good could be made better, and, since this is the only Jazz I've ever played which doesn't sound like I'm slapping an open piano with a soggy baguette I don't want to f*ck it up, but I just wonder if it could be more AWESOME?
Plus, it's f*cking boring in the office today.....

[quote name='Lozz196' post='1067680' date='Dec 23 2010, 12:17 PM']The slippery slope of pickups..........

Plenty of people on here rate Wizard pickups, and apparently the guy there is very helpful, and will put together what you are after. Added bonus is they also aren`t excessive on price.[/quote]
Hey you're not wrong there. half the price of a set of Nordstrands! I have a set of wizard spangles in my (cough) strat, and they're great pups.

The resale value isn't great on pickups but if you must tinker, my thoughts are as follows. Fender don't make great pickups. They used to but something has gone wrong over the years that has allowed other market leaders to take over. (personal view). Fender pups are ok, but not what they used to be. Most pups on the market place are hotter, over wound and beef up the sound. I like a more retro / trad / vintage tone. From my experiences Wizard are great. The guy is friendly and helpful. However Seymour Duncan just pip it for me and offer a better quality pup. EBay has some NOS caps for sale for about a fiver and I have one of these in each of my basses bar one. If you want to replicate the vintage tones of your 62RI I'd go down this route. If you want it hotter, I can't say I have any experience. You could always try these mods and if it doesn't sound cool, EBay the new parts and stick the originals back in. Either way keep the original parts in case things do change and you come to sell the bass.

These sound amazing btw [url="http://www.seymourduncan.com/products/antiquity/bass/1104405_06_149/"]http://www.seymourduncan.com/products/anti...1104405_06_149/[/url] but don't come cheap

This is a decent upgrade [url="http://www.seymourduncan.com/products/basslines/vintage-1/sjb1_vintage_fo/"]http://www.seymourduncan.com/products/bass...jb1_vintage_fo/[/url]

All just my 2c and I don't suggest I know any more or less than anyone else. I have however changed pups / caps in five of my 6 Fender basses.