Why become a member? ×

BC'ers SX bass gallery

neilb

[attachment=5475:pslapgroove.mp3]

I could put this in the recording section...but nobody would listen to it!

Here is another sample of my SX Precision. Di'd through my Toneport into Ableton Live. I Eq'd it a bit in Reason because I can't find the EQ in Ableton Live!

Again, only a few minutes work so no apologies for the abrupt ending. Or beginning come to that. Or the mix. Or the playing.

I defy anyone to tell me that it sounds like a £130 bass!

Paul.

Well I had a go at Pimp my Bass too :)

The neck was just too orange for me so I rubbed it down. That also cocked up the decal so I put on the obligatory Fender one. The Badass II bridge meant that I had to shim the neck to suit. The SX pickups were quite good actually but I had some Seymour Duncan Quarter Pounders in the bits box so they went on too. I do like torty plates so a secondhand one of those got a new body to live on. Topped off with some LaBella Deep Talkin flats it sounds pretty good :huh:

Hamster

[quote name='paul h' post='124531' date='Jan 21 2008, 12:54 PM']Yeah, secondary GAS for me in the guitar section.

I am trying to talk a mate into getting one of the P90 equipped guitars just so I can have a go on it.

P.[/quote]

There's an SX Strat in my local Crack Converters .. did you find out if they are any good? It's not quite cheap enough to just get on spec and , as I know some of teh SX basses are not as good as other, I thought I'd ask ..

[quote name='paul h' post='136467' date='Feb 8 2008, 12:45 PM'][attachment=5475:pslapgroove.mp3]

I could put this in the recording section...but nobody would listen to it!

Here is another sample of my SX Precision. Di'd through my Toneport into Ableton Live. I Eq'd it a bit in Reason because I can't find the EQ in Ableton Live!

Again, only a few minutes work so no apologies for the abrupt ending. Or beginning come to that. Or the mix. Or the playing.

I defy anyone to tell me that it sounds like a £130 bass!

Paul.[/quote]

AWESOME little groove. Reminds me of why I love the P bass slap sound so much. Really cool!

[quote name='Hamster' post='137176' date='Feb 9 2008, 05:35 PM']Well I had a go at Pimp my Bass too :)

The neck was just too orange for me so I rubbed it down. That also cocked up the decal so I put on the obligatory Fender one. The Badass II bridge meant that I had to shim the neck to suit. The SX pickups were quite good actually but I had some Seymour Duncan Quarter Pounders in the bits box so they went on too. I do like torty plates so a secondhand one of those got a new body to live on. Topped off with some LaBella Deep Talkin flats it sounds pretty good :huh:

Hamster[/quote]

Nice bass matey, but why the Fender decal? Is it that important? A bass is a bass, a good bass is a good bass. Before, your instrument was a great SX, now its a mediocre Fender at first glance.

[quote name='7string' post='137424' date='Feb 10 2008, 01:18 AM']I walked into Mccormacks Music in Glasgow and found I walked into SX city.

SX Jazz basses in blue, red, black and 2 tone burst :) I think the price was £129...

Got to say I'm tempted....:huh:[/quote]

Someone needs to tell them about the buzz over the SXs
Their website says
"Your search for "sx" has produced no results.
Please try a more general search."
and they don't list them in their bass guitar section .....

You could A-B a Jim Deacon (199 in a pack) and their Stag G2 (90 quid) and SX basses .. I have a feeling they will all be very similar.

Oh and beware the [b]21 fret[/b][i][/i] SX jazzes - these usually come in the "bass pack" with amp, lead, bag. The ones I tried were not that good and certainly not in the same league as the 20 fret ones we have.

[quote name='neilb' post='137453' date='Feb 10 2008, 08:25 AM']Nice bass matey, but why the Fender decal? Is it that important? A bass is a bass, a good bass is a good bass. Before, your instrument was a great SX, now its a mediocre Fender at first glance.[/quote]

Because the SX one rubbed off when I sanded it down and I had an old decal in the bits box. I was tempted to get a custom decal made up similar to this one but couldn't be arsed to wait.

And don't tell me you're happy with an orange neck, even if it is a good bass for the price :)

Hamster

[quote name='neilb' post='137453' date='Feb 10 2008, 08:25 AM']Nice bass matey, but why the Fender decal? Is it that important? A bass is a bass, a good bass is a good bass. Before, your instrument was a great SX, now its a mediocre Fender at first glance.[/quote]

Sorry,but tend to disagree here,it still is a great looking bass!!!! :)

I've just bought [url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=12252"]jamesemt's SX jazz body [/url](sort of buttery yellow with either white or torty plate, can't decide which I prefer!) -- the intention was to fit the nice neck from my Squier J to it, but it turns out that the Squier neck is too wide for the SX pocket. Rather than arse about with a router, I've just ordered a maple SX neck with pearl blocks from Rondo. I'm planning to fit a neck pickup ashtray and an Artec 3-band EQ, so I'm going to have to drill into the body edge to mount the jack socket. I've already done that for the Squier, so I'm not daunted by the prospect :) What I'm aiming for is a retro look with a contemporary sound. I'll definitely post pics when it's done.

[quote]There's an SX Strat in my local Crack Converters .. did you find out if they are any good?[/quote]

No. My guitar playing mate seems convinced that he is happy with his PRS. Fool.

[quote]AWESOME little groove. Reminds me of why I love the P bass slap sound so much. Really cool![/quote]

Ta muchly Herr Supervisor. I could go off on a long rambling essay about the simplicity of a P bass, it's great tone and all the classic records it's featured on...but we know all that! :)

But the fact that such a cheap bass can get so close to that classic sound is amazing. I A/B'd it with Mr. Fudge's excellent US jazz at the weekend and you know what?...there wasn't really anything in it. Different beasts of course, but it would have been hard to say one was "better" than the other.

Paul.

Yep you can't beat a raw P bass for that tone. Here is a little song I did a while ago on a 57 re-issue P bass (sorry for hijack!) [url="http://www.frozencloudmusic.com/~chrishiscocks/Crap%20-%20Absolute%20Crap%202002-2004/Full%20Flavor%20Organ%20remix.mp3"]http://www.frozencloudmusic.com/~chrishisc...gan%20remix.mp3[/url] Lots of mistakes in it but hell, great fun!

Good hijack. Great track.

I am aiming to get my recording to somewhere like that. I have spent so long with Reason, programming everything and I have practically no experience at recording live instruments. About all I can manage at the moment are these short little samplers.

After programming I find myself with too little patience to record. Programming is always in time unlike my playing!

Paul.

Thanks for the comments! Believe it or not, that was recorded into a minidisk player with a click, the drums were done on a computer programme called eJay and the guitars and so on added after the fact to a Zoom MRS-4 recorder. The Organ was added by some chap from an online collaboration site!

The whole of [url="http://www.frozencloudmusic.com/~chrishiscocks/Crap%20-%20Absolute%20Crap%202002-2004/"]this[/url] album was done like that, quite a rough approach but one that suited the roughness and 'fun' of the whole thing.

I know what you mean about programming etc taking so long you lose the inspiration to play...

Cheers
ped

[quote]I know what you mean about programming etc taking so long you lose the inspiration to play[/quote]

Actually, I meant the reverse.

I am pretty adept with Reason, using the pen tool as well as a midi keyboard. I find I can very quickly turn an idea into a track with drums, keys, horms, strings. I have a wide choice of sounds which I can swap around and play with ad infinitum.

All that flexibility for me, quite often outweighs the relative "hassle" of actually playing an instrument! I can produce a reasonably finished multi-track song in Reason far quicker than writing and recording guitar and bass parts. And after the event there is far more scope of rearranging the whole thing into something totally different.

I want to start introducing live instruments because most of my music lacks "feel". I am trying to get a compromise between live and programmed but to be honest, I don't put enough work in.

Paul.

Ah I see!! Another common issue I guess. I do really enjoy playing with software instruments but I am not so good with the software at home (I 'use' Ableton Live) but at the studio we always have fun laying down sounds after recording a 'traditional' sort of song with instruments and everything! At the end of the day, I think it all helps musicianship in the end, so go for it. Sometimes you just want to play some keyboard drums to get your groove on, other times nothing other than sitting in front of your amp and playing a groove over a loop will do.

At home most of my bits (midi keyboard etc) are not constantly plugged in and connected up because they get in the way a bit, so once I have plugged it all in and moved things about, I can't be bothered!!

Who said bassists are lazy?

What I need is a group of musicians that will play exactly what I want when I know what that is, but play something better when I am stumped!

Kind of a programmable band, but with a great big Mojo button.

I think if I was a better bass player then it would be different! I am just better at programming slightly weird, loopy synth stuff than actually playing live instruments. I can program an organ part that I am totally happy with in a fraction of the time it would take me to do ten takes of a bass line that I would never be satisfied with.

It makes me wonder what the point is!

I do write most things on the bass though...so it still has it's uses!

A groove is a groove my son. Weather you play it on software, an instrument, a bucket or a cereal box. Bass playing is just an extension of that ability to groove and create music. It sounds like you have lots of ideas and something lots of perhaps more 'skilled' bassists can't teach themselves.

Cheers
ped

What I need to do really is add some live bass to this one.

[attachment=5595:180607.mp3]

Because I have been so busy with the design thing, this is really the last "finished" track I have produced. (Guess when I did it? The clue is in the name)

It's the closest I have ever come to getting the sound I am after. A combination of Roy Budd, David Holmes, Basement Jaxx and Lupe Fiasco. Pretty much every part is written on the bass. So when it comes to do an actual bassline I struggle a bit.

Just wish I had a home for it! I am hoping one of the filmmakers I design for will find a use for it at some point.

Paul.

Cool track. I might muck about and stick some bass on it for fun if you don't mind? Interesting you mention filmmakers - my band USB record music for TV and hopefully one day films. I suppose it excuses not having a singer!

The drums on that track sound quite good. What programme were you using for those?

Cheers
ped

It is all 100% Reason3.

It has a softsynth called ReDrum which is programmable. I just chose bass drum, snare, hi hat and crash samples and programmed it in.

Never managed to get anything onto TV. I have scored 6 or 7 short films but it's not really what I want to do. I would rather be able to provide non-synch music for Tv (like yourself) and get some royalties but it's really hard to get an "in". I have found over the years the majority of people in the business already seem to have a music supplier organised.

Feel free to add some bass...I would love to hear what you come up with.

Paul.

[quote name='paul h' post='138103' date='Feb 11 2008, 12:28 PM']It's the closest I have ever come to getting the sound I am after. [b]A combination of Roy Budd, David Holmes, Basement Jaxx[/b] and Lupe Fiasco. Pretty much every part is written on the bass. So when it comes to do an actual bassline I struggle a bit.[/quote]
When I first glanced at this, I read it as a "combination of Roy [i]Hudd[/i] and Basement Jaxx...". The mind absolutely boggled for a second! :) :huh: