Why become a member? ×

Multi effects

sam_

[quote name='sam_' post='121111' date='Jan 15 2008, 08:44 PM']Looking at ordering a Zoom b2.1u next week once i pay in this cheque, it's around£90 with shipping, is there any others i should look at before diving in and getting this? can't go over £90 really.[/quote]

The Zoom b2.1U is a really nice piece of kit for the money. The other unit I would look at in a similar price range is the Line 6 Bass Floor Pod. The Floor Pod doesn't have nearly as many effects as the Zoom, but to me is much easier to programme, and more flexible if you want to make minor adjustments if you're using it live.

Having used both I think it depends on what you want to use the unit for. If you are only likely to use one or two effects I'd go for the Floor Pod as it is easier to use. And the Compressor on the Floor Pod is much better than the Zoom IMHO.

On the other hand, the Zoom has loads of usable effects, and some decent amp models for the price. It also has the built in drum machine, and works well as a balanced DI.

Both are pretty solid, but the Zoom is built like a tank.

I think the Floor Pod retails at over £100, so may be above your budget. If so, I don't think you'll regret getting the Zoom.

Edited by simon1964

The Zoom sounds great but you can only change patch to the patch directly next door - that may cause you a problem if you want to use multiple sounds during a song. If you find the compressor harsh (I did) use the limiter setting which IMHO is much better. It's a robust and nice sounding unit - shame you can't name patches or pre select a la the old zoom units.

I would highly recommend the Zoom. I don't think patch switching is a problem, there are loads of ways around this which have been detailed in threads before. The limiter is deffinitely much better than the comp which is a bit crap, but, at least there's a limiter! The DI is good (although in my rig I can't use that as it's only a portion of my sound) and the usb connectivity for 0 latency recording is a great feature too!

[quote name='cheddatom' post='121309' date='Jan 16 2008, 09:10 AM']I would highly recommend the Zoom. I don't think patch switching is a problem, there are loads of ways around this which have been detailed in threads before. The limiter is deffinitely much better than the comp which is a bit crap, but, at least there's a limiter! The DI is good (although in my rig I can't use that as it's only a portion of my sound) and the usb connectivity for 0 latency recording is a great feature too![/quote]

Hey Chedddatom - we've been here before :huh: - can you direct me to the threads about how to overcome the B2's patching issues - or give me some ideas urself - I'm intrigued as I want to make the most of mine. Don't feel I'm getting the best out of it at the mo :)

i dont understand this patch problem, surely you can set all the patches to be blank, and then do effects in order of how you use them in a gig?? eg patch 1 clean, patch 2 distortion patch 3 clean, patch 4 filter etcetc

I don't know what thread it was in. I think the title was irrelevant. I think the reason you're not getting the best out of it is 'cos it's a bit of a bitch to program. As in it's kind of common sense how to get around patch switching, but it'll take ages to get all your patches in.

At the moment, I have one main patch at (I can't remember the naming convention?) position 2, and the two most common effects I use at position 1 and 3. So this main patch, could be bypass for example. Then, I copy my main patch from 2, to 4,6,8,10 etc, and put all of the other effects I need in between.

If I'm playing in bypass at position 2, and I want to switch to the effects on patch 3 for a bit, I can do that. Then, (this is where you have to think) if the next bit in the song will required a different patch, I will have to decided to go up or down to my main patch. I can switch to bypass at position 4 queueing up the choice of patch 3 or 5, or I could switch to bypass in position 2 with the choice of 1 or 3. Get it?

So if you have a song with 10 different sounds in, but need to bypass in between every single one (is this going to happen?) you can do it, as long as you got the patches in the right order. If you want to switch straight from one patch to the next with no bypass, just tap the switch twice quickly, which is almost as seamless.

The other option is to plug an extra footswitch in, and set it to scroll through banks of 10 (I think this is the available function?).

Are there some "finger buttons" for switching up and down by 10 patches? There were on my old Zoom GFX707, and I wired them to a couple of footswitches so that I could go up or down 10 with my foot - giving me even more flexibility.

OK guys - cheers. Seems like zoom could have made life so much easier if they'd let you preselect like on the older units - i.e. you can select a patch but the sound won't change until you hit both pedals together.

I think my problem is I play in 3 different bands, and the set lists change every gig, so I couldn't set up the patches in order.

What I'm gonna try is using my zoom as part of pedal board. I'm thinking something like a seperate compressor, BDI 21, Dimension C, Guvnor Plus, Bass Synth Wah and Zoom. I can keep the zoom on bypass and use it for volume control and tuning, then switch the other pedals in and out as required. I can still program specific sounds into the zoom - select the patch before the song, then bypass it, then switch it in as required during the song.

Sorry if this is hijacking the thread a bit but it's a conversation worth having methinks - cheers for the input Kev and Tom.

[quote name='King Tut' post='121437' date='Jan 16 2008, 01:01 PM']I think my problem is I play in 3 different bands, and the set lists change every gig, so I couldn't set up the patches in order.[/quote]

You can have 50 odd patches though, how many different sounds do you have?

To be honest, if you're like me and you really do have a sh!t load of different sounds, I would integrate the Zoom into a pedal board in the manner you're suggesting.

If you use a lot of normal, clean bass, then you can use an extra footswitch to operate the bypass while you're switching through/setting up your next patch.

Are you saying that if this unit had the same system as the old Zoom, then you would have 50 different patches set up, and scroll through them until you get the right one, and then press both switches at the same time? This sounds like a rather unreliable/difficult method.

I still think you'd get away with creating bypass patches at every other position.

To be honest - I think the real problem is that you can't name the patches, and being as I'm the wrong side of 40 I can't remember where i put what. Ironically, I seldom change patch during songs - just have a patch set up for a particlular song - i.e one for 'Starlight', one for 'Come as you are', a generic clean patch, one with chorus on etc. Now I'm adding more for the Floyd Tribute band - I can't remember if patch A4 was Nirvana or Sheep!!

This works fine with the old style patch select - remember you could choose to switch it off and change directly - and you can see what patch you've selected.

[quote name='sam_' post='121170' date='Jan 15 2008, 10:49 PM']i'll take a look at the line 6, shame i can't try them out before i take the dive :)[/quote]
i used the Line 6 albit on the Lowdown amp but i was very impressed with it. was gutted when the second crapped out on me (the amp that is). Was going to but the bass floor pod but started down the seperate pedal roots

[quote name='King Tut' post='121503' date='Jan 16 2008, 02:54 PM']To be honest - I think the real problem is that you can't name the patches, and being as I'm the wrong side of 40 I can't remember where i put what. Ironically, I seldom change patch during songs - just have a patch set up for a particlular song - i.e one for 'Starlight', one for 'Come as you are', a generic clean patch, one with chorus on etc. Now I'm adding more for the Floyd Tribute band - I can't remember if patch A4 was Nirvana or Sheep!!

This works fine with the old style patch select - remember you could choose to switch it off and change directly - and you can see what patch you've selected.[/quote]

I have a card with the zoom patch numbers and descriptions on it. I stick it on the floor in front of th unit.
I only use about 9 so it's just neutral and 4 up and 4 down ... usually .. The more I'm using it the easer it is to remember where those pesky sounds are hiding ..

Meanwhile if you are still looking to buy a zoom B2.1u there's one here for £72 plus 6.50 P+P
[url="http://www.soundslive.co.uk/product.asp?id=8183"]http://www.soundslive.co.uk/product.asp?id=8183[/url]

[quote name='sk8' post='121531' date='Jan 16 2008, 03:55 PM']i used the Line 6 albit on the Lowdown amp but i was very impressed with it. was gutted when the second crapped out on me (the amp that is). Was going to but the bass floor pod but started down the seperate pedal roots[/quote]

yeah the line6 on gak was like £130, and on dolphin was about £180 :| do it looks like i'll be getting the zoom.

[quote name='OldGit' post='121543' date='Jan 16 2008, 04:06 PM']I have a card with the zoom patch numbers and descriptions on it. I stick it on the floor in front of th unit.
I only use about 9 so it's just neutral and 4 up and 4 down ... usually .. The more I'm using it the easer it is to remember where those pesky sounds are hiding ..

Meanwhile if you are still looking to buy a zoom B2.1u there's one here for £72 plus 6.50 P+P
[url="http://www.soundslive.co.uk/product.asp?id=8183"]http://www.soundslive.co.uk/product.asp?id=8183[/url][/quote]
thanks for that, saves me about £15 ;D

[quote name='cheddatom' post='121459' date='Jan 16 2008, 01:48 PM']Are you saying that if this unit had the same system as the old Zoom, then you would have 50 different patches set up, and scroll through them until you get the right one, and then press both switches at the same time? This sounds like a rather unreliable/difficult method.[/quote]

Zoom B2.1U doesn't work like that with the external footswitch...

pressing the external foot switch momentarily puts it into or out of bypass mode or takes it out of mute mode into normal mode if it's in it...

pressing and holding the external foot switch when in normal mode puts it into mute mode...

unfortunately, while in bypass or mute mode, pressing either foot switch on the zoom itself takes it out of bypass/mute...

it can't be set to change patch while bypassed/muted

the only way to effectively change patches while bypassed/muted is to use a separate stompbox

I use my Behringer tuner as a mute so I can change patches and tune up at the same time between songs.

[quote name='Paul Cooke' post='121635' date='Jan 16 2008, 06:05 PM']it can't be set to change patch while bypassed/muted[/quote]

Damn! OI was hoping someone could tell me how to do that ..
It's certainly a usability failure in my book.
Still it's so damn cheap ...

[quote name='cheddatom' post='121956' date='Jan 17 2008, 09:15 AM']That is a bit crap, but you could just put it in a bypass loop which wouldn't cost much. I find working with a bypass patch at every other position works fine though.[/quote]

Ah yes .. my use of effects is somewhat more unpredictable than that :)
I'm never quite sure when dropping the intro to Voodoo Chile or you Really Got Me into an evening of barn dancing will be appropriate
I usually find a space where it fits but our whole show is unplanned due to the unpredictable nature of the crowd...

Edited by OldGit

[quote name='cheddatom' post='122011' date='Jan 17 2008, 10:21 AM']That's cool. Try a bypass loop then. I suppose that wont work for people using the DI from the Zoom.[/quote]

may well try that as I have a few foot switches lying about .. Mind you I'm running out of floor on stage :)