Why become a member? ×
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

La Bella Flats...

bigjohn

I've been using TI Jazz flats for years now... but I'm thinking of maybe moving over to something a bit stiffer and heavier gauge...

I've also noticed over the years that I find the E on TIs to be quite a bit more "bassy" than the other others - I have to try to EQ this out - which is easy with my gear, often not so when I end up using others, or there's an unfamiliar engineer involved. I've found this with all 3 of the basses I've used over the time I've used TIs, (P/J, P & J) I've probably gone through about 6 sets of them during that time. I'm pretty sure this a combination of my technique and the strings though. I'm starting to find the A in particular a little weedy...

Would anything think the La Bellas would be any different?

I'm thinking maybe the Jamerson set...

Also - where's the best place to get them?

[quote name='bigjohn' post='1060592' date='Dec 16 2010, 02:22 PM']I've been using TI Jazz flats for years now... but I'm thinking of maybe moving over to something a bit stiffer and heavier gauge...

I've also noticed over the years that I find the E on TIs to be quite a bit more "bassy" than the other others - I have to try to EQ this out - which is easy with my gear, often not so when I end up using others, or there's an unfamiliar engineer involved. I've found this with all 3 of the basses I've used over the time I've used TIs, (P/J, P & J) I've probably gone through about 6 sets of them during that time. I'm pretty sure this a combination of my technique and the strings though. I'm starting to find the A in particular a little weedy...

Would anything think the La Bellas would be any different?

I'm thinking maybe the Jamerson set...

Also - where's the best place to get them?[/quote]
I've always found the La Bellas I use (760FL) to be very even...

Tension-wise, the Jamersons are a big leap from TIs... you might want to consider a less drastic leap first!

[quote name='bigjohn' post='1060592' date='Dec 16 2010, 02:22 PM']Also - where's the best place to get them?[/quote]
EBay was where I got mine. I like bass strings like gurders so these suited me. That said I'm happy with my 55-110 gauge Rotosound flats which seems to be my string of choice these days

[quote name='wateroftyne' post='1060613' date='Dec 16 2010, 02:39 PM']I've always found the La Bellas I use (760FL) to be very even...

Tension-wise, the Jamersons are a big leap from TIs... you might want to consider a less drastic leap first![/quote]

The 760FLs look good - massive leap from .70 A string to a .82

Probably exactly what I'm looking for...

Is [url="http://www.stringbusters.com/frameset.asp?MAIN=http://www.stringbusters.com/ko-kat/BASS%20STRINGS/LA%20BELLA/"]Stringbusters[/url] the place to go? (£28.60)

An in-betweeny would be D'addario chromes - they do 45-100 and 50-105 gauges (I use the former) and have higher tension than TIs. They are quite bright to begin with (you can even slap them) but calm down after a while and sound typically flatwound [url="https://www.stringsdirect.co.uk/products/1284-d_addario_4_string_ecb_chromes_flat_wound_bass_strings_ecb80_ecb81_ecb82_ecb84_ecb81s_ecb81m_"]https://www.stringsdirect.co.uk/products/12..._ecb81s_ecb81m_[/url]

[quote name='BurritoBass' post='1060642' date='Dec 16 2010, 03:11 PM']EBay was where I got mine. I like bass strings like gurders so these suited me. That said I'm happy with my 55-110 gauge Rotosound flats which seems to be my string of choice these days[/quote]

I've got some black nylon rotos I like. I've not tried their flats, didn't really get on with their rounds when I used to use rounds, which I don't ever any more - not sure my fingers would take it :)

Edited by bigjohn

[quote name='Clarky' post='1060647' date='Dec 16 2010, 03:15 PM']An in-betweeny would be D'addario chromes - they do 45-100 and 50-105 gauges (I use the former) and have higher tension than TIs. They are quite bright to begin with (you can even slap them) but calm down after a while and sound typically flatwound [url="https://www.stringsdirect.co.uk/products/1284-d_addario_4_string_ecb_chromes_flat_wound_bass_strings_ecb80_ecb81_ecb82_ecb84_ecb81s_ecb81m_"]https://www.stringsdirect.co.uk/products/12..._ecb81s_ecb81m_[/url][/quote]

They look interesting too...

I'll give the 760FL a go I think...

The more I think about the A string on TIs, it's too light for me. It's always the one that ends up snapping.

[quote name='bigjohn' post='1060652' date='Dec 16 2010, 03:17 PM']I've got some black nylon rotos I like. I've not tried their flats, didn't really get on with their rounds when I used to use rounds, which I don't ever any more - not sure my fingers would take it :)[/quote]

I'm using Roto flats on my Thunderbird. I love them, the tension I would say is about the same as the roundwound Rotos. They are very clear and have a lot of top end, although mine are still quite new. they are even good for slapping, although i tend not to do too much of that these days.

I would say that they're right in the middle between Chromes (very high tension) and TIs (low tension)

Snapped the A again on my bass last night - mid gig. No spares, no spare bass...

Horrible. Luckily was the last song of our 1st set. Had to shift the D string to A, and the G to D and wing the 2nd.

Sort of got away with - our drummer found it the most off putting I think!

So that's the end of my relations with TIs. They're dumped. :)