Why become a member? ×

Slightly unusual setup

WishICouldWalk

I currently have the following equipment. G & K MB150S Combo, a Warwick Profet IV Head and 2x10 cab, and and EBS Microbass preamp. When I practice, I run the Microbass straight into my pc sound card and monitor through hi fi speakers. The way I see it, there's too much duplication. The MB150S is not needed for practice and I have the head/cab for gigs (hence why the 150S is on the for sale forum). However, when I sell the MB150S, I'm left with 2 preamps - the Microbass and the one built into the Warwick head. My intention is the run the Microbass through a PA type power amp and drive the cabinet that way for gigs. This should give me all the options I need and I'll be able to sell the bass head. Has anyone tried this? That is: bass preamp/general purpose power amp/bass cabinet. If anyone could let me know before I buy a power amp that would be great.

Thanks for reading.

Cheers for that. I've tried playing through PA's and you're at the mercy of the PA's monitoring setup (often crap) and the neuroses of the sound man (often diverse). I'd really like to have a bit of control over my headroom. I'll check out what a BFM Omni is!

[quote name='clauster' post='120640' date='Jan 15 2008, 10:15 AM']It should work - one option I've was considering was once considering was the EBS into PA for gigs and into a BFM Omni 10.5 with a power amp built in for practice and rehearsals and any small gigs.[/quote]

Yes, it works with two conditions. Your preamp needs to match the input of the power amp well (don't know about the EBS) to get a good sound and the new power amp needs to be "better" than the power side of your existing head.

I used a Sansamp/SWR set up the same way for ages - it works. Every preamp has its own character, so its really a case of deciding which you prefer (for which gig...can get expensive!)

I'd run the EBS into the effect return of your head (use it as apower amp only) and see what you think after a few gigs?

BB

What I forgot to mention is the Warwick head weighs a ton and there are only so many journeys up 3 flights of stairs whilst carrying heavy gear that a back will take. Power amps can be easily half the weight. I appreciate I could get something like a Mark Bass head, but there's the expense and again, the duplication - paying for a preamp when I really like the EBS. Power amps are relatively cheap as well. I guess I could sell the EBS and get a lightweight head, but like I say, I really like the sound and I can get the sound I want without a lot of buggering about.

That sounds the ticket. Do you know anyone with an Acoustic Image Focus 2 for sale for about £200? :)

[quote name='wateroftyne' post='120742' date='Jan 15 2008, 12:48 PM']I used to use an EBS MicroBass II > FX return of an Acoustic Image Focus 2, which was basically used as a teeny-tiny 600w power amp.

It sounded great...[/quote]

Take into consideration some of the points made in this thread [url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=10541&view=findpost&p=111484"]http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=...st&p=111484[/url]

[quote name='WishICouldWalk' post='120906' date='Jan 15 2008, 04:18 PM']The end of all-in-one bass heads perhaps?[/quote]

Well, for many years I have sworn by using seperates. It makes sense to me.. but only because no manufacturer has yet been able to build an amp that suits all of my needs in one single box. Though, the market appears to be changing and I feel that I am getting closer to an ideal.

but boy is it costing an arm and a leg!! lol