Why become a member? ×

G&L Pearl LE, Some dubious content as per the norm!

stingrayPete1977

All manufacturers quote rubbish to sell basses--Id vaguely heard of G&L prior to spotting one secondhand on an Irish website but I found it to be wonderfully made with great tone options and yes I often find that most bassists even now have rarely heard of them--it seems US is main market. Ive an L2000 and love its shape and sound and if I had more funds would buy another tmro.

[quote name='neepheid' post='1057059' date='Dec 13 2010, 11:12 AM']THE FOLLOWING TEXT REPRESENTS MY OPINION, NOT FACT:

The perpetuating of the ridiculous "pre-whatever company came in and messed things up in my (attempt to influence popular) opinion" nomenclature will not help. While CBS arguably dropped the ball a bit in terms of quality control, this pre-EB and pre-BBE nonsense is just bandwagon jumping ridiculousness perpetrated by people wishing to see an artificial inflation of prices based upon something completely arbitrary (being the ownership of a company) and trying to make out that their older instrument is somehow superior because of this.

The value of "pre-Volkswagen" Skodas must be going through the roof by that logic. They just don't make 'em like they used to.[/quote]

Well I own both versions :) and the pre EB has the EBMM licked for playability and sound the build quality is good but obviously from a different era and has a more hand made feel about it. The fact you think the difference between pre EB and EBMM is just the name on the factory wall just shows you dont know that much about them (Slab body,Strung through mostly,Gloss neck,Truss rod,Different fret sizes and fretboard radius,Muted bridge off the top of my head) The main thing they do share is the outline shape and the pickguard. I dont know enough about G&L early Vs new to comment on the differences other than the eye gouger but I certainly would swap my pre EB for another EBMM and a new classic Ray costs as much as a pre EB anyway.

And as a classic car fan too have you seen the price (When available) of a Skoda 110R? :)

[b]Anyway what do you all think of the Pearl LE?[/b] I might be having a go at the weekend although it appears an L2500 Tribute is looking more practical for what Im doing with a new project, Depends on Marks sales skills!

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' post='1057572' date='Dec 13 2010, 05:52 PM']Well I own both versions :) and the pre EB has the EBMM licked for playability and sound the build quality is good but obviously from a different era and has a more hand made feel about it. The fact you think the difference between pre EB and EBMM is just the name on the factory wall just shows you dont know that much about them (Slab body,Strung through mostly,Gloss neck,Truss rod,Different fret sizes and fretboard radius,Muted bridge off the top of my head) The main thing they do share is the outline shape and the pickguard...[/quote]
I'm fairly certain that Matt does know those differences Pete (he certainly puts me to shame when it comes to bass facts/trivia) he'll also know that the electronics and resultant tone are very similar too (2eq :)) he probably just didn't want to go into the minutea to make his point.

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' post='1057572' date='Dec 13 2010, 05:52 PM'][b]Anyway what do you all think of the Pearl LE?[/b] I might be having a go at the weekend although it appears an L2500 Tribute is looking more practical for what Im doing with a new project, Depends on Marks sales skills![/quote]
I think it looks lervly although what it has to offer over the standard Tookay I don't know.
Someone mentioned Boyzone the last time this bass came up.... I can't get that fecking image out of my head now. :lol:

Hi all - wel, excuse my "marketing" speel, back in the early 1990 I helped distribute G&L and in UK so know just how good they are. FMIC has spent much time and money preventing G&L using the Fender name in any advertising, marketing etc so I have to be careful what I say......

IMHO Leo Fender thew all he could into these basses, you have to make your own mind up as to whether you like them. I am just trying to set the record straight as most players do not know anything about the G&L and most are shocked when they discover that these are Leo Fender designed.

My opinion is that they are excellent - great built, playability and design. The USA models are beautifully made and the Tribute basses are excellent value!

this Pearl 30th Anniversary is £2100 and is hand built and very limited. POA is there because I did not know the list price as the bass only arrived on Friday - hence the "stock" picy.

If you have any questions please contact me.

Mark

[quote name='Ou7shined' post='1057163' date='Dec 13 2010, 12:29 PM']Nice one Matt. It's a silly thing but it's just some people's bag. Fender fan boys dream of the day when they can take out a mortgage on a beat up old pre-CBS which will play and sound pretty much like any other similar spec Fender, some MM fanboys feel better about their pre-EB Stingrays because.... well they are pre-EB and cost more. And now recently we've seen pre-BBE being de regure if you have a hankering for an old G&L. For those that don't know, I have a pre-BBE (by 10 years) L-1000 and totally love it (more than I thought I ever would) and I can see now that this is what Leo wanted his P bass to sound like. Would a BBE L-1000 (yes I know that officially BBE ceased production of the Wunkay) be any worse? No. The fact of the matter is after Leo's death and management was passed on to BBE, USA G&L's continued to be hand made by the same guys in the same way with a few additional innovations, and more importantly G&L's co-founder George Fullerton remained active in the company up until his death last year keeping an eye on that the old standard of quality never dropped.

The pre-xyz theory is all well and good for CBS, EB hmmm (they've had their ups and downs), but to say pre-BBE kicks post-BBE ass when the biggest difference to production was who signed the pay cheques is laughable.

On the other hand pre-eye-gouger G&Ls (like mine) are streets ahead of their younger siblings.... I mean they have lighter headstock for starters. :) :)[/quote]

Not wishing to raise an argument here; but.............I honestly believe there is a difference for preCBS and preEB.
CBS did drop the ball with Fender and only almost got it back over the years.
There is something very special about the preEB 2-band Rays (can't comment on any other models as I haven't tried them). Early Rays sound and play so much better than the EB ones, which sound thin and feel cheap in comparison. EB may well have made some great other gear though.

The point is in both cases, the accountants came in and took over and quality for the sake of quality went out the window; and that's probably because Mr Fender wasn't there anymore.
For example, EB stopped production of some of the best amps ever just because they were too expensive (MM amps are rare now and very good indeed).
Allright I know, business is business and all - but we're talking what's the best instruments here, not who ran the most profitable business.

As for pre BBE G&Ls - I've tried and own both sides of that business management water-shed and I honestly can't tell the difference in quality. G&L are just fabulous instruments, whenever they were made.

Edited by Bassnut62

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' post='1056310' date='Dec 12 2010, 06:48 PM']I agree it doesnt matter but thats what "Esteemed" meens? They are using that term and I feel is untrue in all contexts. In terms of value now, Possible future value(Id still have my money on 60's Fenders) and a general following of the brand G&L is less than Fender by miles. It wouldnt stop me buying one in fact I have been very close on many occasions to buying one and almost certain it will happen one day.

Im not saying they shouldnt mention it and if he said they were the best he ever made thats fine but the fact he designed the workshop is neither here nor there for me.

[b]OK maybe im getting worked up about the marketing lets forget about that then, What do you think of the bass itself?[/b][/quote]

Hi just tried bass at Bassmerchants in colchester Darren has same model in stock and it is evrey bit as good as I expected it to be build quality superb and plays like a dream (at least to me!!) and he wants £1990 for it.

[quote name='kjm' post='1059549' date='Dec 15 2010, 02:03 PM']Hi just tried bass at Bassmerchants in colchester Darren has same model in stock and it is evrey bit as good as I expected it to be build quality superb and plays like a dream (at least to me!!) and he wants £1990 for it.[/quote]

Not £250 ?? :) :)

[quote name='kjm' post='1059549' date='Dec 15 2010, 02:03 PM']Hi just tried bass at Bassmerchants in colchester Darren has same model in stock and it is evrey bit as good as I expected it to be build quality superb and plays like a dream (at least to me!!) and he wants £1990 for it.[/quote]

Bargain price! :)

[quote name='Musicman20' post='1059602' date='Dec 15 2010, 02:50 PM']Bargain price! :)[/quote]

Well its not for me to comment on Bassdirect prices but have a word with Mark if anyone is interested :)

Me and the EBS_Freak will be first through the door on saturday for a go on everything 5 string-ed which unfortunatley rules the pearl out :lol: