Why become a member? ×

Lakland USA direct from the factory

malcolm.mcintyre

[quote name='malcolm.mcintyre' post='1053944' date='Dec 10 2010, 12:40 PM']Has anyone here bought a USA Lakland direct and had it sent to the UK?
How were Lakland to deal with?
How long did it take?
Did Lakland sort out the carriage?
Did Customs charge you, and how much?

Very tempted to go down this route, but would like a bit of reassurance from someone who has done it.
thanks[/quote]

hi,
ive had over 10 basses sent from Lakland.
Theyre a great bunch to deal with and very professional..

if youre having an American Bass made, it could take up to 6 weeks.maybe longer.
unless its on the rack..

they will sort out the carriage, usually via Shenker, then customs will contact you to pay the clearance, and then Shenker will charge you carriage..

Shenker charge about £150 to your door...
Depending on the Declared value of the bass, you can pay anything from £100.00- £500.00 on clearance tax etc.
i think you have to pay about $20 on every $100.00.

contact Brian Gingrich there..
Hes a good contact for them

Jimi

[quote name='jonthebass' post='1053969' date='Dec 10 2010, 12:59 PM']I was directed to a UK dealer when I asked - The Bass Gallery infact!
Jimi was you getting them direct to do with being endorsed by them per chance?

Regards,
Jon[/quote]

@ Jon,

yes, i guess it could be...but i wasnt aware that you couldnt buy direct from them anyway? they have prices on their site etc...

sorry, if ive mis-guided anyone!

j

I had a very very competitive quote a few years ago, but dont forget to factor in VAT at 20% including shipping costs, unless you are very quick, and Import Duty

[url="http://www.basscentral.com/lakeland_usa/lakland_494.shtml"]http://www.basscentral.com/lakeland_usa/lakland_494.shtml[/url]

[quote name='jimijimmi' post='1054011' date='Dec 10 2010, 01:40 PM']@ Jon,
yes, i guess it could be...but i wasnt aware that you couldnt buy direct from them anyway? they have prices on their site etc...
sorry, if ive mis-guided anyone!
j[/quote]
No worries Jimi.

Maybe they will ship here if you press them but I just checked my old email, from Brian Gingrich, and he pointed me to the UK Distributor at the time who was House Music/Bass Centre.

I then contacted the Gallery and Alex there said they can order in USA Laklands...

[quote name='bumnote' post='1054021' date='Dec 10 2010, 01:53 PM']I had a very very competitive quote a few years ago, but dont forget to factor in VAT at 20% including shipping costs, unless you are very quick, and Import Duty
[url="http://www.basscentral.com/lakeland_usa/lakland_494.shtml"]http://www.basscentral.com/lakeland_usa/lakland_494.shtml[/url][/quote]

Don't forget Bass Central's caveat of "While attempting to stay current, we intentionally leave many basses up even after selling them in order to act as "catalogue" pieces to show various models, wood and finish options that are available."

Worth bearing in mind if you're thinking of using them. Not a problem unless you're in a rush to beat the VAT increase :)

[quote name='malcolm.mcintyre' post='1053944' date='Dec 10 2010, 12:40 PM']Has anyone here bought a USA Lakland direct and had it sent to the UK?
How were Lakland to deal with?
How long did it take?
Did Lakland sort out the carriage?
Did Customs charge you, and how much?
Very tempted to go down this route, but would like a bit of reassurance from someone who has done it.
thanks[/quote]

Hi Malcolm,
Sorry to waffle on without actually answering your questions! Anyway my experience went like this:
a ) I bought my USA Bob Glaub from a shop called Cream City Music, via their eBay shop, who done a stonking deal on the bass & shipping,
b ) With UPS - About 3 days to get from the States to East Midlands Airport then about 2 weeks there awaiting clearance,
c ) The shop sorted it out on their account,
d ) I can't remember the exact amount but it was about 22% of the cost of the bass & shipping total.

As well as that experience I have imported a bass from a shop in New York City and it was pretty much identical in terms of time and costing.

Hope that helps,
Regards,
Jon

[quote name='jimijimmi' post='1054038' date='Dec 10 2010, 02:04 PM']maybe contact someone there? i believe the main guy is Steve grey/gray...[/quote]

Over the years, Steve's been involved in one way or another with quite a few of the major Music shops in Newcastle. IIRC he then worked for Fender or one of the biggie manufacturers before GuitarGuitar.

re. importing and taxes; 'IF' Lakland will sell direct, you can expect (i.e. you will) to pay about 22% in various fees and remember that tax is on the TOTAL inc' shipping fees!