Why become a member? ×

Veillette Paris Fretted 5

franzbassist

Evening all

I've decided to see if there's any interest in my Veillette Paris fretted 5. This is a stunning bass which hasn't even been out of the house since I received it!

The spec:
Two piece poplar body with a radius top finished in a light tobacco burst
Maple neck
Pau Ferro fingerboard
Two Citron humbucking pickups
Aguilar OBP2 18v active preamp (volume, balance, passive treble and active bass)
Gotoh lightweight tuners
Hipshot "monorail"-style individual bridges

Weight is a shade over 10lbs, and it balances perfectly. Needless to say, it sounds wonderful, with a big fat tone that would be best suited for rock, blues or a soul kind of vibe. Played with a pick it's really slicing, and the tonal difference between the pickups is huge, so you can go from a P bass to a J to anything in between.

So why am I selling it? Well, I've been playing more and more fretless over the last few years, so much so that I don't see any point in having a large sum of money tied up in something I just don't play; my Veillette Archtop fretless is all I need.

New, I think would be some way over £2k now, but I am looking for [b]£1850 posted[/b] in the UK, and will ship it in a new Protec Contego case.

If you live in the SE you are welcome to come and try it out, either at my home in NE Hampshire or at work in Central London.

Cheers

Gareth

Edited by walbassist

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

If Philw's fretless 4 string is anything to go by this must be some bass - I own 2 Veillettes from the 80s and can't speak highly enough about them - the modern stuff must have got better..Hope you get (something like) what this is worth..

[quote name='TheGreek' post='1107407' date='Jan 29 2011, 05:38 PM']If Philw's fretless 4 string is anything to go by this must be some bass - I own 2 Veillettes from the 80s and can't speak highly enough about them - the modern stuff must have got better..Hope you get (something like) what this is worth..[/quote]

Thanks for the post TheGreek. It's a great bass, and makes a fine stablemate to my Veillette Archtop (which I should add is almost certainly "the one"), but as I said in the OP I'm just not playing it and would rather release the funds. It's certainly going no lower than the £1800 I've now got it advertised at.

Cheers

Gareth

• 1 month later...

[quote name='walbassist' post='1183150' date='Mar 31 2011, 11:36 AM']I guess the fact that it is a) an unusual make :) expensive, means the market is small, even moreso in these rarified times...[/quote]
..or is it because potential buyers haven't done their homework and really don't know what this is?? When I spoke to Philw (I tried his fretless 4 string) he spoke sooo highly of your bass - my 80s Fretted VC is an absolute dream to play, the fretless feels just so right - you can feel the quality..

If this bass had 4 strings I'd be seriously thinking about it - after I'd sold the 4 basses that I'm selling, bought the Wal 4 string I'm after...

Best of luck...

• 1 month later...