Why become a member? ×

Rack Dilemma!! Help Please?

BIG.J

My main rig consists of an SWR Redhead Combo & 8x8 Henry Cab. On-Board the Redhead is a Cheap & Chearful Behringer Virtualizer Pro FX unit.

Now don't laugh but this setup is very user friendly as all factory presets that i use are perfect = Compressor / Octave / Chorus / Flange etc and if they need a little blend then i use the FX Blend to Wet / Dry the mix.

Recently i paid out for some other quality gear =

TC Electronics G Major Effects
TC Electronics Tripple C Compressor.

Thing is "All the Gear NO Idea" springs to mind as its so dam complicated and i don't use that many different effects other than the ones above. It looks great but when i patch the behringer unit in.... God dam thing comes to life and sounds the Dogs nuts..Lol!

Now = Do i keep hold of the TC stuff and try and work on the sounds, Or just sell up for christmas and stick with a simple solution?

Any advise would be great as you know how these things get to ya!

J. :)

My advice RTFM.

Yes its going to be a slog, keep it really simpe though, go through a single effect at a time, ie Chorus on , everything else off, Compressor on, everythiong else off.

Work through the parameters for each effect, with the manual, [b]and[/b] some other documentation about how that effect is supposed to work, what it is doing under the hood, so that you really understand what the controls do.

Work on different fx chains, serail vs parallel fx strucutres and so on - all that reading other sources above will stand you in good stead for making signal path choices!

Work on how you control the gain structure within the unit too, otherwise you will find that you can pick up unwanted noise or clipping and you cant tell why.

Work out how to gain match all your patches. That way any change you make from patch 15 to 26 or whatever will not be accompanied by an uncontrolable 6dB volume increase!

All this effort may take a while, [b]but[/b] you will end up with significantly better tones, fx choices and use, and a real understanding of what is going on in your rig, your gigs will become more stress free and you will end world poverty within a year as a result....

[quote name='Jean-Luc Pickguard' post='1057078' date='Dec 13 2010, 11:24 AM']:) Whatever you do don't use behringer stuff.
:lol: People will point & laugh at you.
:) It doesn't matter that it sounds good, is easy to use and robust
:P everyone knows its crap

:D[/quote]
Me suspect a certain amount of tongue-in-cheek there, maybe................