Why become a member? ×

Flankers Gear

Flanker

Hey Ped how's it goin?

Don't look for too much science here - I just fancied a change really and I like a smooth tone with a vintage vibe for the Precision but also a more modern take for slap.

The Nordy was on the way out until I heard it through the Aguilar as it's a pretty bright bass -much more so than my FBass which is similar looking but a little heavier.(BTW New strings on the FBass didn't make much difference MarkS)

The Aggie is to quote someone on Talkbass a 'Wrecking Ball of an Amp' which sums it up for me really.Very full but surprisingly clean tone and just tons of 'balls'. Quite heavy by my standards mind (43lbs).

The Markbass is a great little amp too and I love the size/weight.(Not a DB750 but I can't see why Toasted seems to hate them?) The cabs are Berg HS210 and EX 112 and I'm getting a BagEnd S15D this week and probably a HT112 to give loads of combinations.(All 8ohm)

Lovely Fender Precision ('83) with flats and it sounds just amazing using an old pretty knackered Ashdown ABM400 I bought from Warwick_Hunt :) I'm going to put it into a amp hospital for a makeover coz I really love its tone with the P.

So to answer your question I have one for each day of the month never mind week and dya know what - I LAAARV it mate!! :huh:

Thanks guys.
The Nordy has really grown on me in the last few days and I can't really work out why. It just seems to sound a lot fuller than it did even through the Markbass so anyway I'm not complaining!

Do these cabs play in at all? I know theres a school of thought along those lines.

Hi Steve,

Good to see your keeping things going on the High-end side of things :)

Got to love the F Bass's man...i can't get enough of mine! I think they have quite polite kind of sound...how have you got your pre-amp on it set up? I'm running mine, full neck pick-up, bridge pick-up off fully, tone off fully...passive...sounds thick, funky and D'angelo never sounded so damn good :huh:

Loving the Nordy...i've been hankering after one of them, think i'd go for a Lull if i had the cash mind...got to get a go on that bad boy though!

Nice one on the Agi front too man! I just changed amps...now playing an Ampeg SVT 2 (non pro)...pure valve beastage ;)

J

[quote]Got to love the F Bass's man...i can't get enough of mine! I think they have quite polite kind of sound...how have you got your pre-amp on it set up? I'm running mine, full neck pick-up, bridge pick-up off fully, tone off fully...passive...sounds thick, funky and D'angelo never sounded so damn good[/quote]

Jeez that sounds extreme- I'll try it tomorrow! :)

The Nordy is great, anytime you're passing J14 M1 give me a call.

Cheers
Steve

Hey Flanker, how do you find the Nordy for noise? I know that single coils are noisy anyway, but what are they like on this? I find my Nordstrand pickups sound great, but they are particularly noisy. Doesn't bother me so much in the band situation - just solo. Just wandering if yours were any quieter.

Nice setup by the way. Very tasty :)

[quote name='Flanker' post='120967' date='Jan 15 2008, 05:06 PM']I'm not finding the Nordy any more noisy than my other basses but it does have the pickups which are meant to cut down the noise level I believe.[/quote]

Well, there you go, completely different experiences. Can't knock the tone out of them though. Pretty stunning.

• 4 weeks later...

[quote name='Flanker' post='136006' date='Feb 7 2008, 07:26 PM']Sorry only noticed this when it came back top.

RE DB750: Fan noise -1
Fat tone +1000!!!

I'll keep you in mind Russ![/quote]

Sounds like you like the tone from your DB750.

Mine....
Fan noise -1
Clarity -10
Fat bass heavy tone +10
Versatility -10
Going back to shop +1000

Oh Dear........

I'm surprised to hear this really.

I was expecting the amp to sound much more wooly than it does but to my ear it is actually quite defined as well as very full sounding.

As for versatility I'm very happy with that too but I have basses which have quite versatile preamps and I can get a good variety of tones from the bass alone.

I,ve only really played this through Bergantino and Epifani cabs and it sounds great through either, particularly clear with the Bergs to me.

My only winges are the fan noise and the weight.

If I were you I would definitely try the new Thunderfunk 750, I had the 550 a while ago and they really are nice amps.

• 1 year later...