Why become a member? ×

*** ADVICE ON NEW CAB PLEASE ***

REDLAWMAN

Hi everyone,

I'm playing an American Standard 'P' with La Bella FS flats through a Littlemark III and a Traveller 151 P rear ported cab.

I'm really struggling to get the sound I want: the full, warm, deep, well-rounded 60's/70's Country Music thing you hear on the likes of Kris Kristofferson/Glen Campbell/Charlie Pride, etc.

The rear-ported 15" Traveller is very punchy and very clear, but not really close to what I want.

My question is 2-fold really.

I've got the chance to buy the now discontinued Markbass Standard Front Ported 151 HF or, alternatively, buy an altogether different make of 15" cab to go with my Littlemark.

Can anybody tell me whether there will be any great difference between the sound of my Traveller and the Standard 151 HF and whether it will be worth the investment?

The 2nd part of my question is really whether I would be better off getting a completely different cab (either 1x15" or 2x15") from someone like Mesa or Ampeg or Aguilar, etc? If so, what would serve me best for this warm, full, rounded, deep Country 'old-school', vintage sound I want?

Thanks everyone.

You should look here and talk to Alex before you decide which speaker to buy. I've been through quite a few "high end" cabs over the years, but have found the Midget T to be very good. Currently thinking about adding a Compact and selling my Epi 4x10.
[url="http://barefacedbass.com/product-range.htm"]http://barefacedbass.com/product-range.htm[/url]
Read the info on the site, I was quite sceptical, but the Midget T does what it says on the tin.
Iain H

[quote name='REDLAWMAN' post='1052012' date='Dec 8 2010, 07:10 PM']Hi everyone,

I'm playing an American Standard 'P' with La Bella FS flats through a Littlemark III and a Traveller 151 P rear ported cab.

I'm really struggling to get the sound I want: the full, warm, deep, well-rounded 60's/70's Country Music thing you hear on the likes of Kris Kristofferson/Glen Campbell/Charlie Pride, etc.

The rear-ported 15" Traveller is very punchy and very clear, but not really close to what I want.

My question is 2-fold really.

I've got the chance to buy the now discontinued Markbass Standard Front Ported 151 HF or, alternatively, buy an altogether different make of 15" cab to go with my Littlemark.

Can anybody tell me whether there will be any great difference between the sound of my Traveller and the Standard 151 HF and whether it will be worth the investment?

The 2nd part of my question is really whether I would be better off getting a completely different cab (either 1x15" or 2x15") from someone like Mesa or Ampeg or Aguilar, etc? If so, what would serve me best for this warm, full, rounded, deep Country 'old-school', vintage sound I want?

Thanks everyone.[/quote]

[quote name='MOSCOWBASS' post='1052053' date='Dec 8 2010, 08:00 PM']You should look here and talk to Alex before you decide which speaker to buy. I've been through quite a few "high end" cabs over the years, but have found the Midget T to be very good. Currently thinking about adding a Compact and selling my Epi 4x10.
[url="http://barefacedbass.com/product-range.htm"]http://barefacedbass.com/product-range.htm[/url]
Read the info on the site, I was quite sceptical, but the Midget T does what it says on the tin.
Iain H[/quote]

+1

I use a Midget (without the Tweeter) for just that kind of music , and I can second that. I back off a little mid and add a little low and it's warm and full (and of course, light). Or maybe you might think of a Compact. Do chat with Alex.

EDIT - and I've never had it sound muddy, no matter where or what settings. Always tight and controlled.

Edited by fatback

Thanks very much everyone for your help.

I did contact Alex this morning.

I've been reading reviews all day and I think I've narrowed my choices down to 147 likely candidates....... :)

My gut feeling is Ampeg or Mesa Boogie (but the Trace Elliot and SWR 18"'s are calling to me) and G Kruger/Eden/Peavey/Glockenlang aren't looking too unappealing either...!!

I'm trying to arrange to play some, but I'm struggling with stock at most places near me at present.

Just out of interest, is it generally better if you're thinking of ultimately using 2 15's, to get 2 separate ones, or one combined 2x15 like the Mesa I think Paul McC and Alan Jackson's bass guy uses?

And would 18's be a big mistake?

Edited by REDLAWMAN