Why become a member? ×

Help me find a bass!

andykelly

Hi guys
Looking to buy my first bass, i've been borrowing a Fender USA Jazz, Musicman Stingray and Ibanez SR-500 lately and have played a friends P Bass once. I've been playing guitar for around 10 years and so would like to get something half decent. My budget is up to £1000 and i have a good idea of what i want in a bass, just not which bass will give me that!

Tonally - i love the thickness of P basses and the clarity of J basses, i notice there are a few P/J bass pickup combinations about so this could be an option?
Feel - I found the nut width on a P bass too wide for me, something closer to the thin J bass or Ibanez nut width with the depth and action of an ibanez?
Aethetics - I'm not overly fussed, i.e. it doesn't have to be a specific model, but i do much prefer a more traditional shape?

Does such a thing exist? And if so am i unreasonable to expect to get it at £1000 or less?

Cheers
Andy

Either the Fender Aerodyne Jazz Bass, or the Fender Duff McKagan Signature Bass will probably have what yr after. Check them out on Fenders website for specifics on the neck size, in comparison to the Standard Precision & Jazz models.

[quote name='andykelly' post='1048576' date='Dec 5 2010, 07:06 PM']Hi guys
Looking to buy my first bass, i've been borrowing a Fender USA Jazz, Musicman Stingray and Ibanez SR-500 lately and have played a friends P Bass once. I've been playing guitar for around 10 years and so would like to get something half decent. My budget is up to £1000 and i have a good idea of what i want in a bass, just not which bass will give me that!

Tonally - i love the thickness of P basses and the clarity of J basses, i notice there are a few P/J bass pickup combinations about so this could be an option?
Feel - I found the nut width on a P bass too wide for me, something closer to the thin J bass or Ibanez nut width with the depth and action of an ibanez?
Aethetics - I'm not overly fussed, i.e. it doesn't have to be a specific model, but i do much prefer a more traditional shape?

Does such a thing exist? And if so am i unreasonable to expect to get it at £1000 or less?

Cheers
Andy[/quote]

Have a look a Ibanez SR they are very playable the necks are very thin and fast, beautifully made, three band eq with a mid cut so very versatile sound wise, can do the p bass thumb and a jazzy sound (just!) my particular fav is the sr 600 605

[quote name='bubinga5' post='1048734' date='Dec 5 2010, 09:12 PM']Did you not like any of the basses you have already played[/quote]

I did, all 4 in different ways. None of them ticked all the boxes though. The Reggie Hamilton Jazz Bass is looking like a real contender at the moment. Has anyone had any experience with this particular model?

Cheers

I've got an American Jazz with an S1 switch which produces a passable (but not exact) precision sound. Only second hand now unless you can find some new old stock, or you could mod a new one.

[url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=109190&hl="]Here's[/url] one that'll leave you plenty of change for a new amp.

[quote name='andykelly' post='1048576' date='Dec 5 2010, 07:06 PM']Hi guys

Cheers
Andy[/quote]

[color="#000080"][b]Go for a Fender Aerodyne, nice tone, slim neck like a Jazz and won't break the bank. Easy to sell if you want ot move on and up later.[/b][/color]