Why become a member? ×

Gigbag to fit bass, head and leads - cheap!

lemmywinks

Hi all

I've started practicing with a full band again after a short layoff and have recently downsized my practice rig so it's as small and light as i can afford

I now need a gigbag with big pockets, needs to fit an Ashdown Superfly with the case removed (same as Little Giant), a pack of strings and instrument/kettle leads.

Not too bothered about heavy duty padding as it just goes in the car and up a flight of stairs, basically i'm lazy and want to take just a gigbag and a 5kg mini cab!

So is there anything available at lower price points (ie £30+)?

Cheers!
Steve

Can't find a link for one of those, are they still available?

I found these:

[url="http://www.wembleyguitarcentre.com/Catalogue/Guitar-Centre/Cases-Bags/Gig-Bags/Tourline-Electric-Bass-Guitar-Bag-TSTBGEN20UB"]http://www.wembleyguitarcentre.com/Catalog...Bag-TSTBGEN20UB[/url]

[url="http://www.omegamusic.co.uk/shop/music-shop/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=2979&ref=1"]http://www.omegamusic.co.uk/shop/music-sho...=2979&ref=1[/url]

[url="http://www.pianocoversonline.co.uk/gold-series-p-1566.html"]http://www.pianocoversonline.co.uk/gold-series-p-1566.html[/url]

Not sure if the front pockets are deep or long enough though, the Superfly has feet attached (damn top mounted cab handles!) and it's quite long

That looks nice but a bit more than what i want to spend (i'm incredibly tight btw), i was thinking sort of £40 max, preferably around £30

It's just for practice use, so i can be lazy and leave everything in the bag so i'm good to go. Having a 4 month old baby means i have a lot less time to sort my gear than i used to, couple that with the male baby-brain means i'm bound to forget to pack something sooner or later!

[quote name='lemmywinks' date='Dec 5 2010, 06:29 PM' post='1048529']
Can't find a link for one of those, are they still available?

Sorry dude, thought you just meant a gig-bag for gear etc, which is what I got from Marshall. Didn`t realise you meant gig-bag for bass with space for all yr extra gear as well. Doh!

[quote name='Faithless' post='1052046' date='Dec 8 2010, 07:56 PM']I wouldn't risk by putting an amphead or whatever and a bass in a gigbag that doesn't have enough padding between two, and those cheap bags don't seem to be protective..

You wouldn't want a broken neck or pots, would You, Lemmy? :)[/quote]

Well the amp is a Superfly (used value around £100) and the bass will be either an Aria Jazz i bought for £45 or my homebuild Jazz (parts around (£140) so you can understand why i don't wanna drop any more on a gigbag!

Tbh it's just so i can leave everything in one bag for weekly practice, i often have very little time as i'm on dad duty most evenings so i'm always in a rush when getting my gear together

The OGC one listed above looks alright quality, i suppose i could always get a sheet of foam sewn under pvc to the inner section to protect the bass, i can get that done at work for free if i ask the girls nicely!

[quote name='lemmywinks' post='1052066' date='Dec 8 2010, 08:13 PM']Well the amp is a Superfly (used value around £100) and the bass will be either an Aria Jazz i bought for £45 or my homebuild Jazz (parts around (£140) so you can understand why i don't wanna drop any more on a gigbag!

Tbh it's just so i can leave everything in one bag for weekly practice, i often have very little time as i'm on dad duty most evenings so i'm always in a rush when getting my gear together

The OGC one listed above looks alright quality, i suppose i could always get a sheet of foam sewn under pvc to the inner section to protect the bass, i can get that done at work for free if i ask the girls nicely![/quote]

How are you liking the Superfly?
I'm thinking of buying one as a backup to my RH450. My current backup is an Ashdown MAG250 which I'm happy with, but because of its size I very rarely take it with me, which defeats the "backup" concept.

[quote name='mcnach' post='1055374' date='Dec 11 2010, 08:24 PM']How are you liking the Superfly?
I'm thinking of buying one as a backup to my RH450. My current backup is an Ashdown MAG250 which I'm happy with, but because of its size I very rarely take it with me, which defeats the "backup" concept.[/quote]

I like it yeah, i'm always hesitant to recommend them to people though because of the issues they have.
If you manage to get a good one (it's a bit of a lottery) then they can be very useful.

They have very specifc uses tbh due to the way the power section works. As it's 2 seperate outputs giving 250w @ 4ohm or 180w (i think) @ 8ohm each you really need to use them with 2 cabs, pref 4ohm ones, if you want gig volume.

They can go pretty loud with 2 decent cabs but with one you might struggle. I mainly use mine with a little home build cab or my EA CXL110 (with a Deltalite), with the EA it's loud enough for practice and makes for a tiny, featherweight rig

On the positive side they have a great front end, the digital eq idea is fantastic and really useful. There's loads of low end on tap and used with a bit of compression (i really like the compression on this head btw, it's grown on me a lot) it's really clear and tight. You can get some truly excellent sounds out of this head, such a shame Ashdown dropped the idea instead of sorting the quality control out.
It's also very handy as you can use pretty much any combination of cabs with it as it's 2 x 4ohm inputs. So if you turn up to a gig or practice and there's a cab provided chances are you can hook it up in addition to the cab(s) you've brought

Tbh there are other options but none at the price of a used Superfly as they go for around £100 (they were £200 new unless bought early on).
You need to be aware of their limitations and potential problems but if you can make use of one they're great sounding little amps

[quote name='lemmywinks' post='1056061' date='Dec 12 2010, 02:47 PM']I like it yeah, i'm always hesitant to recommend them to people though because of the issues they have.
If you manage to get a good one (it's a bit of a lottery) then they can be very useful.

They have very specifc uses tbh due to the way the power section works. As it's 2 seperate outputs giving 250w @ 4ohm or 180w (i think) @ 8ohm each you really need to use them with 2 cabs, pref 4ohm ones, if you want gig volume.

They can go pretty loud with 2 decent cabs but with one you might struggle. I mainly use mine with a little home build cab or my EA CXL110 (with a Deltalite), with the EA it's loud enough for practice and makes for a tiny, featherweight rig

On the positive side they have a great front end, the digital eq idea is fantastic and really useful. There's loads of low end on tap and used with a bit of compression (i really like the compression on this head btw, it's grown on me a lot) it's really clear and tight. You can get some truly excellent sounds out of this head, such a shame Ashdown dropped the idea instead of sorting the quality control out.
It's also very handy as you can use pretty much any combination of cabs with it as it's 2 x 4ohm inputs. So if you turn up to a gig or practice and there's a cab provided chances are you can hook it up in addition to the cab(s) you've brought

Tbh there are other options but none at the price of a used Superfly as they go for around £100 (they were £200 new unless bought early on).
You need to be aware of their limitations and potential problems but if you can make use of one they're great sounding little amps[/quote]

Thanks for that.
Yeah, I was aware of the 2x250 situation. My MAG250 is already 250W so the idea would be to use just one side of the amp only.
Like you say, at the price they go for they seem nicer than anything else around... as long as they don't stop working suddenly! I heard lots of bad stuff about the MAG250 head, but it's worked flawlessly for a long time... but it's a bit of a gamble, you're right.
Thanks for the info!