Why become a member? ×

thoughts on new rig

lowfer

Hi All,

the time has come to put a new rig together as i have damaged my back and can no longer carry my big ashdown combo.

I have 2 heads and 2 cabs in mind, looking for some feedback and thoughts as i haven't soundtested either yet and would like some feedback before i take the train into london to have a blast.

Heads:
Mark Bass Little Mark II
Genz Benz Neo-pak 3.5

Cabs:
Bergantino HT112
Aguilar GS112

I play a Sandberg California Custom with round wound strings in Active mode to give me a much heavier bass, mostly playing nujazz grooves such as D'Angelo, Amp Fiddler etc.

I find with my current bass and combo (ashdown Mag 400, 15 inch driver) that the G string is a bit harsh and thin really looking for a thick, syrupy mellow sound. Listen to D'Angelo Brown Sugar album and you should get the idea of the sound i'm after.

Any other ideas would be much appreciated, but remember can't go big as i'll have to wheeled into the gig with my back in spasm.

Look forward to hearing your thoughts

Nathan

Hi mate, moved it...

I haven't played all the options above but have tried a Markbass into an Aguilar 112 and it was very nice indeed - I am not normally much of a MB fan but this cabinet suited it really well because it seemed to sound flatter than when i have tried MB heads through other neo cabinets which sometimes sounded a little mid heavy.

Cheers
ped

Hi Nathan,
I can recommend the MarkBass. Simple and very powerful. I don't even use any eq with mine just use the 2 filters.
I am hoping my 2 lightweight cabs from Mike Walsh, (The Bass Merchant), will be with me this week. If so I will put a review up and it may be something else to consider.
I believe it will stack up very well against the 2 cabs mentioned.

If you're looking at lightweight have you considered the Epifani UL112?

I've got one of these and am most happy with it. It's really light, very well put together and has the capability to move some air for such a small cab...

Must admit I've not had the chance to try the other cabs mentioned - they are hi-end cabs so I'm guessing either should be really good.

As an aside I've got an EA iAmp200 combo - again small, lightweight yet packs a punch - that I might be selling, feel free to drop me a PM if you're interested :)

thanks for the responses guys,

had a quick look at the epiphanie, starting to get a bit expensive, although that was the bass gallery and may well shop around for a better price. What about the sound on the G string i be able to get it mellow and heavy with this set up, as an aside would a change to flat wound strings start to give me more of the sound i'm after

N

[quote name='lowfer' post='119532' date='Jan 13 2008, 04:11 PM']thanks for the responses guys,

had a quick look at the epiphanie, starting to get a bit expensive, although that was the bass gallery and may well shop around for a better price. What about the sound on the G string i be able to get it mellow and heavy with this set up, as an aside would a change to flat wound strings start to give me more of the sound i'm after

N[/quote]

I picked up my UL112 off this very forum - I agree the new prices are a bit steep - keep an eye out and something will turn up...

With regards the G string - IMO the ultimate set up is a good even response across all the stings (however many that may be). That said the two extremes of the range are usually the hardest get the sound you want from - ideally a tight but full bottom end and a sweet rounded top is what I guess we're all ultimately looking for.

All the elements in the rig have a bearing on these - right from the fingertips or plectrum, through the strings (round/flats/coated etc), the bass itself (as I'm sure you're aware there is much debate surrounding the various tonal characteristics of the different materials used in bass production), the pre-amp/amp/cabinet combination (and there are so many options to explore here).

All you can do is experiment until you find the combination of all of the above that gives you what you want - what works for me in my situation might not do it for you in yours, by all means ask the questions and take the advice, there are plenty of experienced guys/gals on here who are more than happy to pass on their knowledge. but at the end of the day it's your sound and we all hear things differently...

Don't be afraid to try different sets of strings - what's the worst that can happen - it might cost you a few quid?...

Hope you find the sound you looking for :)

Hey Lowfer,
I use a LittleMark 250 with an Aguilar GS112 and I absolutely love it!
Not the loudest of combinations, but it's great for practice, rehearsal and stage monitoring.
It's really lightweight, and assuming I don't have too far to go, I can carry my bass, the head in a laptop bag and the cabinet in one hand fairly easily.
I plan to add another GS112 or maybe a GS112NT when I get hold of a bit of cash to get the most out of the head.

Sound wise, it's pretty transparent, letting the bass shine through, but there's plenty of tweaking available using the EQ on the head.
The tone is nice and even using this combination, but I do like a lot of low mids which I can dial in easy enough.

Can't comment on the other stuff, I reckon any combination of what you're looking at would be great!

Good luck,
Eude