Why become a member? ×

what bass is this?

zom8ie99

Wasn't there a "slappers'" version that had metal plates on the body end of the fretboard? Or did I just dream that? :)

BTW, at work I can't see the pictures - so if there is a pic of such a bass above I apologise!

Edited by Conan

I have 3 Wilkes basses, a 5 a 4 and a fretless which has the brass plates at the end of the fret board as mentioned by Conan.
The 4 strings have Schaller hardware but the 5 has a custom made bridge. They have a triangular neck profile which is very comfortable to play. All round a great bass.

[quote name='only4' post='1043698' date='Dec 1 2010, 12:57 PM']I have 3 Wilkes basses, a 5 a 4 and a fretless which has the brass plates at the end of the fret board as mentioned by Conan.
The 4 strings have Schaller hardware but the 5 has a custom made bridge. They have a triangular neck profile which is very comfortable to play. All round a great bass.[/quote]
When was your 5-string made?

[quote name='BigRedX' post='1043876' date='Dec 1 2010, 03:00 PM']When was your 5-string made?[/quote]

To be honest i'm not sure, i never looked in to it.
I think it's one of their later models which has wooden pickup covers with the Wilkes logo carved on.
[attachment=65506:DSC00886.JPG]
Sorry not a good photo, taken in my office just after i bought it!

only4, thanks for the info and photo.

The reason I ask is because I have 2 Overwater 5-string basses from the early to mid 80s, one (from 83/84) with a custom bridge and the other (from 1985) with a Schaller 3-D 5-string bridge. Chris May told me that the earlier model has the custom bridge because as far as he knew there was no Schaller 5-string bridge available at the time. Another thread on here about the development of the 5-string bass made me realise that I own one of the oldest 5-string basses (designed to be tuned BEADG) and was therefore interested to see if anyone had an older one.

Sorry for the slight derail... back to the thread.