Why become a member? ×

Heavy gauge Stainless steel Extra long strings?

AttitudeCastle

Hey All,

I recently got an Ibanez BTB676 which i am loving :)

The stock elixer strings, not so much, i'm not a fan of coated strings and i find the gauges too thin (not sure what they are couldn't find anything on the net, but the B seems about .120 compared to an old .130 i have lying around)

All My other basses past and present use rotosounds, unfortunately (as far as i can tell) They only do a long scale 5 string set not a six string set,

The bass has a 35" scale length and while not an issue for the B and C strings, but the A and D, i measured at 42" from the bridge to the post, and the bridge works with a system that is about 1/3" into the body,

They B and C strings are about 37/38" from the Bridge i "think" I'll measure it again and correct this if its wrong

Thats awkward part one! haha, though i know strings of length exist(?) haha, its just finding them,

I also prefer stainless steel strings, the feel and tone, though i like nickle too, so either would be fine,

and thirdly I use thicker than most strings at the low end, On my 4 string (Yammi Attitude) i use the Rotosound Sheehan Set, 110 80 65 43, and when i was playing a friends homemade style stix string which was 34" i used 135, 110, 80, 65, 43, 30

So thats : Non coated long, stainless steel/nickel heavy gauge strings!

I wouldn't mind at all going heavier on all the strings, its just the B and E i find odd as i find the tension too low, and the strings don't feel thick enough to my touch unlike the 135 i used! (and i've used the Rotosound drop+ set! the .175 was pretty wicked! haha)

Any help appreciated!

Many Thanks
AC

[quote name='LiamPodmore' post='1038723' date='Nov 27 2010, 12:40 PM']I use Ernie Ball Power Slinky 5's. I don't know if they do a Power Slinky 6 set but these seemed plenty long enough to me from what i remember. Definately a good string gauge too, i love the .135 Low B

Liam[/quote]

Thanks! They are nickle right? Nice and bright xD Link to the .135?

[quote name='Mr. Foxen' post='1039013' date='Nov 27 2010, 05:21 PM']D'addario do really heavy steels, dunno about the length though. If all else fails, Newtone can custom make them, didn't work out loads more than nce sets of strings, but was coupla years back.[/quote]

Might go down the Newtone route, i'll drop 'em an e-mail in a mo'

Edited by AttitudeCastle

[quote name='AttitudeCastle' post='1039142' date='Nov 27 2010, 06:56 PM']Thanks! They are nickle right? Nice and bright xD Link to the .135?[/quote]

Yes, they are nickel, these are the ones i use - [url="http://www.gear4music.com/Guitar-and-Bass/Ernie-Ball-Power-Slinky-2821-Nickel-Bass-5-String-50-135/E6H"]Power Slinky 5's[/url]
And they do a 6 string Long Scale set with a .130 B which is [url="http://www.gak.co.uk/en/ernie-ball-6-string-slinky-bass-2838-%2832-130/37656"]Here[/url]

[quote name='LiamPodmore' post='1039179' date='Nov 27 2010, 07:21 PM']Yes, they are nickel, these are the ones i use - [url="http://www.gear4music.com/Guitar-and-Bass/Ernie-Ball-Power-Slinky-2821-Nickel-Bass-5-String-50-135/E6H"]Power Slinky 5's[/url]
And they do a 6 string Long Scale set with a .130 B which is [url="http://www.gak.co.uk/en/ernie-ball-6-string-slinky-bass-2838-%2832-130/37656"]Here[/url][/quote]

• 1 year later...

[quote name='geoffbyrne' timestamp='1290878383' post='1039007']DRs.[/quote]

How long are they? I know they have no silks, but at what point does the string get thinner (particularly important on the B and E strings)?