Why become a member? ×

Scarf joint vs laminates?

Oakbear

Hi folks!

Is there any advantage, other than using less timber, to scarf jointing a multi laminate neck?

I'm planning on a 5 piece maple and wenge laminate neck with dual carbon fibre rod reinforcment.

I'll have the timber to spare to make the headstock from the single laminate, but wondered if that would be stronger or weaker than if i were to joint it?

Thanks!

[quote name='BassBod' post='1038612' date='Nov 27 2010, 10:05 AM']Have a look at the Alembic site - they seem to re-attach severed heads with no problems, [b]partly because the glue joint often gives in an accident, and this makes for a clean break.[/b][/quote]
Which is odd considering that a correctly mated glue joint is stronger than the wood itself.

I've had a peruse of the Alembic site thanks, but can't find info specifically on their neck joints.

From the photos i can see it looks like they don't use a joint at all, but carve from a normal laminate blank and the build up the back of the head stock with laminates running the other way.
Looks quite nice i think, but shouldn't have any strength advantage?

So would it be stronger if there was a scarf joint too?

Well, strong enough to hold 6 bass string under tension and not snap if it gets dinged against a door frame!

It would be easiest for me to make a laminate neck and carve the headstock shape and angle out, and leave it at that.
But i'm aware that in single piece necks this may not be strong enough without a scarf joint.

It seems from the Alembic site (unless i spotted wrongly) that a laminate neck alone is fine, and a scarf joint is not needed. (Although the headstock laminates come into the neck as overlap i think).

So is it worth my while using a scarf joint if i already have the strength from the lamination?

I was under the impression that on laminate necks the grain went in different directions on alternate laminates, which is what gives the strength.

I can remember when I first joined BassWorld/BassChat there was someone demonstrating the strength of the headstock join on a bass they were making by standing on it!

If it's done properly it shouldn't make much difference. I usually do a scarf joint because I think the contrast on the back of a laminated neck looks really good (in an Alembic kind of way). I don't think anybody's done much scientific analysis of the differences so I'd do what you think will look better.