Why become a member? ×

gibson transfer and laquering help

Bucket Head

Alrrrite, i recently put together a les paul style guitar and was wanting to put a gibson transfer on it and laquer over the top on the head stock. i have painted it black alredy and its alredy to do this but i cant find anywhere that sells gibson transfers. so im wondering if anyone knows where u can buy these? also is the laquering easy to do? and does it just go right over the top of the transfer and how thick do u do it?

thanks in advance

[quote name='Bucket Head' post='1038273' date='Nov 26 2010, 08:55 PM']Alrrrite, i recently put together a les paul style guitar and was wanting to put a gibson transfer on it and laquer over the top on the head stock. i have painted it black alredy and its alredy to do this but i cant find anywhere that sells gibson transfers. so im wondering if anyone knows where u can buy these? also is the laquering easy to do? and does it just go right over the top of the transfer and how thick do u do it?

thanks in advance[/quote]

You do realise that you would be creating a forgery of a manufacturers product by doing this?

I would imagine that Gibson would not be too keen on letting logo transfers out onto the market and third party suppliers who attempt to replicate the logo would find themselves in court pretty quickly.
Gibson are not a company that thinks twice before issuing legal proceedings it seems...

If you want to put a logo on your headstock then I'd suggest that choosing a different design would be a very good idea.
Why not use your surname or something like that - if I made something that I was proud of then I'd want my name on it, not someone elses! :)

Edited by icastle

[quote name='icastle' post='1038557' date='Nov 27 2010, 08:46 AM']You do realise that you would be creating a forgery of a manufacturers product by doing this?

I would imagine that Gibson would not be too keen on letting logo transfers out onto the market and third party suppliers who attempt to replicate the logo would find themselves in court pretty quickly.
Gibson are not a company that thinks twice before issuing legal proceedings it seems...

If you want to put a logo on your headstock then I'd suggest that choosing a different design would be a very good idea.
Why not use your surname or something like that - if I made something that I was proud of then I'd want my name on it, not someone elses! :)[/quote]

ahh i did know it wud be a bit iffy but i didnt think it wud matter cos its a self build but i see what u mean man i guess ill leave it blank maybe. i just saw a p bass on ebay and the guy told everyone it wasnt fender but he put the decal on himself. i thought it was ok as long as u let people know?

cheers for the advice tho man i probly shudnt haha and i didnt mean it as a forgery.

thanks gary ill have a look on here...looks like a good site to get stuff done nice one mate

[quote name='icastle' post='1038557' date='Nov 27 2010, 08:46 AM']You do realise that you would be creating a forgery of a manufacturers product by doing this?

Why not use your surname or something like that - if I made something that I was proud of then I'd want my name on it, not someone elses! :)[/quote]

I'm at the other end of the spectrum and think 'go for it' as it's only a forgery if you try and sell it on as the genuine article.

[quote name='neepheid' post='1039073' date='Nov 27 2010, 06:04 PM']There's always the humour option: [url="http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=120649326389"]http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vie...em=120649326389[/url][/quote]

ha im sure that after the attempt that i make at this i probly shud had gibbon on my guitar

cheers for the help fellas

;DDDDDDDD

[quote name='jonthebass' post='1039124' date='Nov 27 2010, 06:43 PM']it's only a forgery if you try and sell it on as the genuine article.[/quote]

And do you know that as a [b]fact[/b] or is it an opinion based on what you would like the answer to be? :)
I'm happy to be proven wrong, it's all just a learning exercise to me, but I remain unconvinced.

Edited by icastle

[quote name='icastle' post='1040029' date='Nov 28 2010, 03:51 PM']And do you know that as a [b]fact[/b] or is it an opinion based on what you would like the answer to be? :)
I'm happy to be proven wrong, it's all just a learning exercise to me, but I remain unconvinced.[/quote]

I think you're reacting rather strongly to this subject. Who on earth would know if you didn't tell anyone or try and sell it on as 'the real thing'.
If it's just a home project then what are the chances of being caught and more to the point by whom?
What proof are you looking for?

You should be able to get them here
[url="http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Guitar-Headstock-Decals-Waterslide-/170572286192"]http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Guitar-Headstock-Dec...e-/170572286192[/url]
or just email [email protected] and ask what he has for Gibsons. He'll send you a jpg with a selection of styles.

They are nice decals, at least the Fender ones are, only thing is they only work with poly lacquer. Also they're a bitch to apply, I think it takes a bit longer for the glue to soften on the backing than it says in the instructions. I bought 2 and he sent me 3, which was just as well, as I ruined the first one.

Other thing to consider is it makes it tricky to sell the bass on eBay. I put my parts Precision up with no mention of Fender in the listing or title, and a complete description of all the bits it was made of, but there was a picture of the headstock and it got pulled within 24 hours.