Why become a member? ×

Switching from Electric Fretless to EUB/Upright Acoustic

Jase

yep - loads on here - loads on you tube as well - I went from EB to EUB then DB and the worse bit is teh scales and the pain in your forearms but it doesn't take long - If I were you (unless you really want to use adn EUB all the time) I'd just go straight to double bass - I find them far easier to play with body position etc - and the sound is superb.

Good Luck!

It all depends on the practicalities. IMHO a DB is more satisfying to play and sounds better, period. But if you have to cart it around frequently or on public transport or you have back issues etc an EUB is obviously a sensible alternative. The Aria I just sold (to obbm) is a pretty good value compromise and much better than a Stagg. But really good EUBs (Yamaha, Eminence, Volante etc) run to the same price as a good DB (up to a few grand).

I think there are a few threads in this section of the forum on the different types of DB (laminate vs carved etc) and which ones are good for the money. For example, Gareth Hughes picked up a DB from Thomann which he is very happy with for under a grand. Perhaps PM him?

[quote name='Clarky' post='1040233' date='Nov 28 2010, 06:29 PM']It all depends on the practicalities. IMHO a DB is more satisfying to play and sounds better, period. But if you have to cart it around frequently or on public transport or you have back issues etc an EUB is obviously a sensible alternative. The Aria I just sold (to obbm) is a pretty good value compromise and much better than a Stagg. But really good EUBs (Yamaha, Eminence, Volante etc) run to the same price as a good DB (up to a few grand).

I think there are a few threads in this section of the forum on the different types of DB (laminate vs carved etc) and which ones are good for the money. For example, Gareth Hughes picked up a DB from Thomann which he is very happy with for under a grand. Perhaps PM him?[/quote]

Thanks Clarky, very helpful mate :)