Why become a member? ×
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

4 strings not enough or loosing my roots?

DaveB

This may seem a little silly to you all but i've been thinking about this alot recently. Most of us i'm sure started out on a 4 string, I did and was quite happy for 12 years playing like that. Must admit I did buy a budget 8 string for a laugh at one point that was too much (see sig). Then just over a year ago I joined my current band and found for one or two songs I needed a low C# and B, typical. So went out and got a 5 string. When I go back to 4 now, it still feels natural and easy to find my way around but i feel not quite complete and slightly naked. I wouldn't want to do any sort of gig with only a 4 string now, yet I love playing my old 4 string basses still. Kind of felt like i've lost my roots abit here.
Odd thing is with guitar. I play to an intermediate standard and dabbed in 7 strings but that did feel like too much and prefered less. Mind you trying to play slide guitar over that wide a neck is bloody hard lol.
So my point is, is it bad to feel like your loosing your roots or is it just natural progression?

If it's right for you then whats to stop you playing more strings? Similarly, if a 4 string bass is right for you, whats wrong with that?

I bought a Status Stealth 6 string once when I'd previously played 4 and 5 strings. I shortly realised that it just wasn't for me. I ended up selling that incredible bass to go to a 4 string Spector, which was the right choice for me. Everything since bar one bass has been a 4 string.

Don't worry about feeling like you're losing your roots, imagine that you're extending them - after all, the EADG strings are still there! You'll end up back at 4 string basses someday though, everyone always does! :)

[quote name='DaveB' post='1037202' date='Nov 26 2010, 12:28 AM']This may seem a little silly to you all but i've been thinking about this alot recently. Most of us i'm sure started out on a 4 string, I did and was quite happy for 12 years playing like that. Must admit I did buy a budget 8 string for a laugh at one point that was too much (see sig). Then just over a year ago I joined my current band and found for one or two songs I needed a low C# and B, typical. So went out and got a 5 string. When I go back to 4 now, it still feels natural and easy to find my way around but i feel not quite complete and slightly naked. I wouldn't want to do any sort of gig with only a 4 string now, yet I love playing my old 4 string basses still. Kind of felt like i've lost my roots abit here.
Odd thing is with guitar. I play to an intermediate standard and dabbed in 7 strings but that did feel like too much and prefered less. Mind you trying to play slide guitar over that wide a neck is bloody hard lol.
So my point is, is it bad to feel like your loosing your roots or is it just natural progression?[/quote]
It's all about your vision old son. I can't stand more than four strings but I need 24 frets and I use a POD X3 LIVe. And I'd love a VB99 Bass Synth. It's when your musical situation demands change but you don't want it that the trouble begins.

[quote name='Chris2112' post='1037206' date='Nov 26 2010, 12:33 AM']Don't worry about feeling like you're losing your roots, imagine that you're extending them - after all, the EADG strings are still there! You'll end up back at 4 string basses someday though, everyone always does! :)[/quote]

I'll look at it this way, i'm abit big round the waist band so i'm like a big oak tree that needs to spread a few more roots lol.

[quote name='silddx' post='1037217' date='Nov 26 2010, 12:40 AM']It's all about your vision old son. I can't stand more than four strings but I need 24 frets and I use a POD X3 LIVe. And I'd love a VB99 Bass Synth. It's when your musical situation demands change but you don't want it that the trouble begins.[/quote]

Good point, and interesting you mention 24 frets, thats the other thing. even though i don't play alot that high it feels wrong when i've got less than 24. Must be bass OCD :)

I started out on a 4, then moved to 6 then back to 5. Now I couldn't manage with a 4 string bass, even in the band that I only really use EAD on, I'd still feel constricted on runs without the B and G strings to start/finish on, even though there's no parts of the set that rely on them.

There's so many variations on basses because everyone likes different things, if you find a 4 feels more natural but you like the extended range of the 5, maybe you should look into 5s with a thinner neck or string spacing. Or maybe even wider string spacing so that it's nearer the spacing on a 4 (assuming the 5 is narrower).

I see bass guitars as just "tools" - you simply select the right tool to do a particular job.
Like most BCers I've ended up with a range of different instruments and some are more suited to particular styles than others.
I have a fretless JB and a WAV4 upright - different sounds, different feel to them and selected to match particular music types.
I have a 6 string - that gives me the option of adding a little more detail but doesn't really suit me for fast and accurate playing.
I have a 5 string - that gives me speed and a higher degree of accuracy than I get playing the 6 string.
I have a 4 string - that's an old 80's SB900 and gives me a more 'authentic punch' for playin 80's stuff.
I have an acoustic 4 string - that gives me the option of a quick practice without the aggro of setting up amps and gives me easier access into the folk/roots scene.

I don't see it as "losing my roots" - it's more a case of providing the best possible enhancement to a wide range of musical styles - at the end of the day, whatever instrument we decide to use, it's just a plank of wood with some metal strings stretched across it... :)

You've just moved on. That's not a bad thing!

I agree with JTUK when he said a couple of weeks ago that a 4 string feels like half a bass now. I've tried playing both on a gig but there's nothing you can do on a 4 that you can't do on a 5 and, after 10 years, a 5 just feels more right!

My roots are in my head (and the past) not in a piece of wood.