Why become a member? ×

£700 budget update

chilievans

My £700 budget has had a recent upgrade to £900ish. Great news.
So after much thought I've narrowed my choices down too two and here they are in no perticular order

Fender american jazz black on black with maple neck

and

Shuker j classic

both are around the same price but which would you go for?

I'll level up the ballot at 3 all, and here's why....

Just by the fact you are on here asking our opinions whatever you buy isnt likely to be a life keeper.
Whilst the Shuker will be better built, certainly waaayyy better QC'd and will more than likely even feel better to play, it has not been made for you specifically (ie to order) and is therefore an off the peg bass as is the Fender.

Wherever you turn up to play everyone will recognise teh Fender and you wont have to explain what it is, and when you come to sell it you will get the same response. If you try to move on a Shuker if you dont like it or get bored with it or come across hard times and need to convert it into filthy lucre you will take a huge hit on it andit may take you a while to sell it.

Never a problem with a Fender.

Jeez I cant believe I have just put this post.

If it was my £1k there is only one of 2 ways way it would go, and it wouldnt be on either of the above.

[quote name='The Burpster' post='1035435' date='Nov 24 2010, 06:40 PM']I'll level up the ballot at 3 all, and here's why....

Just by the fact you are on here asking our opinions whatever you buy isnt likely to be a life keeper.
Whilst the Shuker will be better built, certainly waaayyy better QC'd and will more than likely even feel better to play, it has not been made for you specifically (ie to order) and is therefore an off the peg bass as is the Fender.

Wherever you turn up to play everyone will recognise teh Fender and you wont have to explain what it is, and when you come to sell it you will get the same response. If you try to move on a Shuker if you dont like it or get bored with it or come across hard times and need to convert it into filthy lucre you will take a huge hit on it andit may take you a while to sell it.

Never a problem with a Fender.

Jeez I cant believe I have just put this post.

If it was my £1k there is only one of 2 ways way it would go, and it wouldnt be on either of the above.[/quote]

Where would your money go bud?

[quote name='xgsjx' post='1035425' date='Nov 24 2010, 06:34 PM']Have you had a shot of a Fender yet? If not, then do so before buying. It might be what your looking for or it might be a pain in the butt to play.

I'd go for a Shuker.[/quote]

Have you had a shot of a Shuker yet? If not, then do so before buying. It might be what your looking for or it might be a pain in the butt to play.

I'd go for a Fender.

:) See what I did there? Try everything before you buy in this price region IMO.

If you like black on black, and I don't mean to confuse you, I'd go for the Sandberg currently on the for sale section. Fits right in yout budget, and I'm actually trying to find reasons not to take the plunge myself.

Mind you, I'm not sure if that's exactly what you're looking for in terms of tone, but given how far back the pickups are I bet it nails that 70's jazz tone in single coil mode. And then you can just flick the switch back and have a much meaner sound.

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' post='1035467' date='Nov 24 2010, 07:17 PM']Have you had a shot of a Shuker yet? If not, then do so before buying. It might be what your looking for or it might be a pain in the butt to play.

I'd go for a Fender.

[b]:) See what I did there? Try everything before you buy in this price region IMO.[/b][/quote]
Always the best advice.

Edited by setekh

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' post='1035467' date='Nov 24 2010, 07:17 PM']Have you had a shot of a Shuker yet? If not, then do so before buying. It might be what your looking for or it might be a pain in the butt to play.

I'd go for a Fender.

:) See what I did there? Try everything before you buy in this price region IMO.[/quote]

nice switch pete

I'd go for a Fender.

:) See what I did there? Try everything before you buy in this price region IMO.[/quote]
Yup, I couldn't agree more. I just didn't get time to finish my post as I'm at work. :)

I'd still get down to a shop & play loads. 20 years ago I went to Sound Control in Glasgow with plans to get a Status Bass, ended up trying a few others & came out with my Ibanez.
Ok, a Fender would probably have held it's value better than my Ibby, but I've had the bass for 20 years & not needed to change it or wanted anything else & I preferred the playablilty & sound of the Ibby over the Fenders (altough I do now want a fretless 5 string & the Ritters are tempting me!).

Edited by xgsjx

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' post='1035743' date='Nov 24 2010, 11:04 PM']In fairness I would go back to your original plan and go for a Ray but not that overpriced one (how did you get on with it,no joy?). You should have pick of the crop for £900. Or have you gone totally off them?[/quote]

Don't get me wrong I still like the ray but I leaning towards something new. I'll try it in the next few weeks and get back to you. It may be the one.